Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Things Kurzweil. Who is blown away by Kurz EP's?

I-missRichardTee

I have a k2661. I love all ep's. THe k2661 has already install the (RM4-26) Vintage Electric Piano ROM. I like all the sounds so much. I have not listen to pc2 or pc3 sounds.

The point is that i have the kurzweil sound "in my ears" after 10 years with my k2661...i had a nord electro 3 for one and a half year, and i like k2661 ep's sounds better....i don't say they are better, but I like those kurz sounds...

I had for some time a pc2 rack without classic keys option, but i loaded some ep sounds made by Dave and was very good !!!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I find them very accurate, they sound a little harsh to me. The FM ones are gorgeous, though. (PC3)

Wish there was one like Bob James.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

2. The PC3K internal sounds, compared to the PC3K's sample sound.

The majority of the PC3K internal sounds ARE sampled sounds. The K simply allows you to add more of them. However, the average user generally does not have the skill to turn the samples into the same quality of sound that Kurzweil's programmers could. Sometimes you don't need a lot of skill to get what you want out of it, but other times you do.

AnotherScott.. you are one of the "on top of it" gear guys who know what you are talking about with gear. So Why say that sampling is useful except not for average user/ player, when it won't do many much good? I mean, is there ANY way that an average or below average user like Tee could be glad he got the K option form Kurz??

Is there a purchasable kit, like eg the Chick Corea Rhodes from Motif?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I've made a few of my own that didn't blow me away, because I don't think that happens very easily, but a few can rock my boat. The first one was a complex sound intended for playing "Daddy, you're a fool to cry" (R. Stones, it's actuallu ksetlist).

The ROM sounds annoy the f*ck out of me: screamish, harmonically agnostic, binary velocity little b*tch sounds that can't keep any of my musical emotional attention for longer than it takes for some horrible type of distortion to set in, which is almost instantaneous. You could take a random run of the mill sampling machine, or software with decent properties, and make better usable sounds, even though I have to admit to major issues. The sound are under some type of control which makes them ok in the sense that they won't blow peoples ears of, while certain songs may work better on them than most anything else. And, but that's a generality of the machine I found out, there are certain sund rules adhered to that can be used to the advantage of getting a sort of studio sound back from the instrument, through processing, that is actually top. A few the e-pianos allow that trick, too.

The recent sounds I've made on the instrument, wheich quite deviate from any program on it escape the non-cross-fade paradigm, and do an attempt to "mix" such that certain harmonic properties of the sound can be put forward, which to an extend allows me to get a clean, interesting, harmonically useful, and quite versatile epiano sound from the machine. They aren't for download (yet), but I've made some demos.

T.

Why say that sampling is useful except not for average user/ player, when it won't do many much good?

That isn't what I meant at all. I was responding to your thought, "I am thinking a sample of eg a Motif S6 piano, played in the PC3K, is hardly going to have the all important playability of an actual Motif!" Sampling is very useful for users of all levels, for a variety of purposes. But if you're trying to get piano samples (more difficult than most) on a par with the original, or on a par with what Kurzweil's own programmers were able to get out of their own piano samples, I think that is probably beyond the average Kurzweil owners' skill sets. However, there are software tools available to make things easier. It also depends how much effort you want to dedicate to it, I suppose.

I mean, is there ANY way that an average or below average user like Tee could be glad he got the K option form Kurz??

Is there a purchasable kit, like eg the Chick Corea Rhodes from Motif?

Yes, there are plenty of uses for "average" users... samples of simpler sounds (i.e. that don't involve multiple velocity layers or looping) can be used more easily. And there are downloadable sounds available. Some freebies from Kurzweil are at http://kurzweil.com/product/pc3k7/downloads/ and I think there are user libraries around, but there isn't the big commercial market that the Motif has. The K option also has the benefit of having some extra samples already that give the Kurz more compatibility with some of their legacy gear.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The PC3K series was developed at the request of some major Broadway show producers, with the intent of providing some degree of backward compatibility with the earlier K2500 and K2600, which were Broadway show mainstays, and many sound sets of patches had been developed over the years for use in such shows.

The machine was a PC3, with a couple of changes: the obsolete xD card for backup/restore and OS loading was replaced with a USB drive version; and, circuitry was added to allow addressing of 128 meg of flash memory (corresponding to the maximum 128 meg that could be installed in a K2500 or K2600 series instrument).

The result is that some of the patches developed for the K2500 and K2600 instruments could be loaded and used in the PC3K. This conversion is imperfect for several reasons: the PC3 uses different components from the K series (the older components are no longer available since the legal mantra became lead-free), which means that the sounds and effects from the same samples do not sound identical. Another issue is that the macros developed in the K series instruments cannot be used in the PC3K. A third difference is that the K series instruments were available with optional capability of recording samples, the PC3K can play back, but does not have the infrastructure to support recording.

At a point several years ago, Kurzweil marketing decided that having three separate groups (61, 76, 88 key) of PC3 based instruments was too many (the original PC3, the PC3LE, and the PC3K), and stopped selling the original PC3 series.

There were many commercial libraries developed over the time period between the first K2000 and K2600 series instruments. For instance, IF I had a PC3K, I could still load all the samples (as many as fit in the 128mb at one time) from my Bass Gallery CD that was originally designed for the K2000. However, one of the real helps in the Bass Gallery was that there were macros designed to load specific samples and the programming needed for a large number of individualized bass patches - that would have to be done manually on the PC3K.

There also have been some commercial developers who have made additional sound sets for the PC3K series, as well as a number of developers who have released their sounds freely available through various websites such as Mastering VAST and the KSetList.

Kurzweil has publicly released a couple of their K series CDs in loadable form for the PC3K, including SynthScapes.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I know it's not quite the same as playing them yourself, but there are a number of audio/video clips online of artists using the PC3/PC3K EPs in addition to the Kurz website demos. Not sure if you've had a chance to check any of these out - the artist clips are good for showing how the presets work in a mix.

Myron McKinley w Earth Wind & Fire, around 1:00 min in using factory preset Duke's Dyno (with phaser disabled).

[video:youtube]

Ellis Hall at NAMM (starts on ac piano, moves to EPs around 40 seconds in). [video:youtube]

Heart covering Misty Mountain Hop (it's a Pianet preset, not a Rhodes). [video:youtube]

And here at the Kurz website single instrument demos:

http://kurzweil.com/product/pc3k8/audio/#E.%20Piano

While I find them very accurate, they sound a little harsh to me. The FM ones are gorgeous, though. (PC3)

Actually, this is even closer to the Rhodes sound I'm looking for, that my PC3 doesn't have: LINK

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Actually, this is even closer to the Rhodes sound I'm looking for, that my PC3 doesn't have: LINK

It definitely doesn't have samples from a Rhodes that like sound like your clip, which is on the extreme end of the "Dyno" sound. It would have been fun to work with samples like that though!

The particular Rhodes Kurz used was chosen because it could yeild the widest variety of presets with programming applied.

Had we gone with a "Very dyno" sample taken with the treble EQ jacked, it likely would have been difficult to get some of the more mainstream Billy Preston/Ray Charles/Stevie Wonder types of sounds that are a bit more common in recorded music.

Of course in a perfect world it would have been great to have samples of 3 or 4 different Rhodes from different eras.

It definitely doesn't have samples from a Rhodes that like sound like your clip, which is on the extreme end of the "Dyno" sound. It would have been fun to work with samples like that though!

The particular Rhodes Kurz used was chosen because it could yeild the widest variety of presets with programming applied.

Had we gone with a "Very dyno" sample taken with the treble EQ jacked, it likely would have been difficult to get some of the more mainstream Billy Preston/Ray Charles/Stevie Wonder types of sounds that are a bit more common in recorded music.

Of course in a perfect world it would have been great to have samples of 3 or 4 different Rhodes from different eras.

Thank you for that explanation, Dave! I'll stop asking for it. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/HandsomeTramp/smilies/04.gif

I didn't know that you were limited in the number of EP samples available to work with.

BTW, that second example comes from this Alesis QS Card, made and sold by Harmony-Central poster ChipCurtis.

I think he did an excellent job!

I find the EPs on my PC3 are always appropriate and excellently programmed. I have to say I like the Rhodes on the Yamaha S series/Motif a little better (Sunshine/ Herbie's Rhodes etc.), but the overall quality/playability of the Kurz sounds are superior to everyone else out there. Am SO HAPPY I switched to Kurzweil for my main 'board.

I played my PC88 the last two nights.. and I still like it a lot!! I wish there was a way I could try a PC3 or whatever it is ( sorry those Kurz name designations go right over my head.. I cannot retain them for five seconds.. wait to you get a little older.. ! ) - anyone want to loan me one for a short gig maybe??

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I love the EPs on my Kurzweil SP4-7 - there's a big range of sounds, and it's easy to tweak by adding a little tremolo or overdrive.

And I use that Misty Mountain Hop pianet (as on the Heart video above). It's a great variation from the usual Rhodes/Wurly sounds, and sounds great in a band context.

Clarifying indeed, thanks DW! OTOH: by the time of the PC3 release, I can imagine including a couple of different Rhodes samples wouldn't have been impossible. Ah well, no perfect world, we must get over it...

'Cause luckily, I still like my PC3 a lot, and while the basic sample set perhaps isn't thát Dyno'ish, EQ'ing does work to get towards the sounds I like listening to on (a lot of) my favourite records from the 'Dyno era' (Al Jarreau, Yellowjackets, ...).

Or better,- physical modelling.

The perfect world w/ different sample sets from different models of the same instrument already exists.

Use a Motif XF and it´s stock samples plus Chick´s Rhodes MkV and Neo Soul epianos for the Motif and you´re done.

But I think the Yamaha CP-1, CP-5, CP-50 and now CP-4 Stage raised the bar,- eventually the Physis Piano too, depending on it´s user programmability and/or hopefully upcoming improved sound design for it´s stock epiano patches.

But technology wise,- I think sample technology is outdated.

B.t.w.,- my favourite Rhodes´ on the PC3 are "XFadeBelltone" (adjust DATA slider to taste as well as slider G and H for overdrive amount and warmth) and "Stevie´s Rhodes".

"Woodstock Clunker", "Stage Wurli" and "Austin ...Wurli" are great too.

Good there´s a Hohner Pianet sample available,- "3Dog ...".

Several Hohner Clavinets work well too,- "Rufus Marley Wah".

Playing alone, I hate some of the sample velocity jumps being introduced in the factory sound programming,- but in a mix that gets almost lost.

That said,- I can work w/ it.

My PC361, I´m playing from 2nd weighted keys board for pianos and internal keyboard for the synths, organ etc., was "bang for the buck" w/ all it´s controller abilities, ribbon and ft.sw./ pedal connectors.

It had a learning curve,- but since some time I also enjoy programming the machine.

A.C.

Hello! As long as I've been playing Keyboard s (which isn't long & too long at the same time) thats always been my experience with board evolution as well. They take leaps forward with some features while diminishing or totally cut out others. The true ying-yang.

Sounds like your getting your sound issues solved or at least narrowing it down to a piece that will work for you. Awesome! You said your old board is dying. What is wrong with it? Is it the keybed or the brains? Just curious because if its the keybed a good controller would save you. I Resurrected my Juno that way. :thu:

"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

I wish there was a way I could try a PC3 or whatever it is ( sorry those Kurz name designations go right over my head.

I believe all the current Kurzweils have the same EP sounds. So if you can try any of them, you've kind of tried all of them, in terms of the sounds. See the list at

http://kurzweil.com/products/

...though the models that begin with SP only have a subset of the EPs, with other ones downloadable after you buy. And the Artis might not have all of them. And sometimes playing the same sound from a different action can affect what you think about the sound. It could be partly psychological, but also, you may not be triggering the same velocity layers the same way. So it would be best to try them from an 88.

Up front, you said, "But I have played newER Kurz's on a few gigs and was underwhelmed." Could it have been the speakers they were playing through on those gigs? Could it have been the action on the board you happened to played?

I think the current Kurz EPs are excellent, and would be surprised if you couldn't get the equivalent of the old EP sounds you like out of the current boards, or better. But then, sometimes people just like the sound they have become used to, and even if a new sound is technically better (i.e. in this case, possibly more faithful to the original EP they're trying to emulate), it doesn't mean everyone will prefer it.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Tee, three years ago I couldn't find one to play either but I love Kurz and there's tons of high quality vids out there. I spent weeks checking those out and simply bought mine on faith and wasn't disappointed.

See what Al Coda wrote concerning the data sliders and other controls? That's what I said earlier too, you really have to learn how those controls work and how they can radically change the sound. You might hear someone playing something on the PC3 and think what's all the noise about, that sounds like every other EP I've ever heard. All that means is the guy didn't know how to manipulate those sliders or just didn't want to.

A PC3 is very deep. Extremely deep. You mentioned in the other thread that you're not too tech savvy. A PC3 is a high level keyboard for real tech heads, it's probably the most tweakable keyboard out there but if you don't know how to do that or don't want to learn then a basic rompler may be best for you.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Recently I put some examples on including a epiano, here's a playable one which isn't perfect, and not the pretty neutral one from my previous examples, but it's interesting because it does some distortion and phaser which allow it to act as the "Still crazy after all these years" type of sound, without drawing all too much on the harmonic imagination of the listener:

pc3epiatstn2.mp3 44.1 st 256kb <1min

Because pretty much nobody will be able to reduce/enhance this to the main line of sounds I'm working on, here is a free theover.org download for you to try it on you own PC3 (NOT -LE, because it needs 16 effects and probably won't sound all too great without them)

sepiasb7m9whier4.pc3 (1 program + all effects) this is the exact sound I used in the mp3.

Enjoy.

T

When I bought my SP4-7 several years ago, the EP's were the main selling point. I needed a new bottom board, and I didn't have a lot of cash, and after much comparison shopping, I had narrowed my field down to 3 boards, the Kurz PC3, Nord Electro 3, and Korg SV-1. Between the 3, the EP's in the Kurz definitely had the edge for me. I've tried, but I have never been able to bond with the EP sounds in the Electro, they definitely sound good to me if I see a band and the keyboardist is playing an Electro, but for whatever reasons, the finger-to-ear connection doesn't happen for me when I play one. I liked the EP's in the SV-1, but I felt the keyboard action was too heavy for me, I play LH Bass in several groups, and need something I can play all night, and I have tendonitis issues.

So, while I was comparison shopping, the SP4-7 was announced, and I bought one pretty much as soon as they were shipping. Easily 90% of my use of it has been on 4 patches: Stevie's Rhodes, Austin Wurly, one of the RMI patches which I love, and the Musty Mountain Pianet. The Kurz sounds seem to be programmed to fit into a mix with little or no tweaking. The keyboard feel is a good compromise, I can play LH bass on it all night with no pain, and I get good enough touch response from it. Many of the other patches in it are very good, though I don't tend to use them live. If I need an AC Piano, the mono blues piano patch is good enough, and, again, it cuts through a mix quite well.

I've literally played hundreds of gigs with the SP-4 (and probably made hundreds of dollars! :-) ), and my only complaint with it is the external power supply. I had to replace it recently, and it was relatively expensive ($60 total), and it took way too long to get it, but I suspect that was a screw up on the part of Sweetwater.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I had to replace it recently, and it was relatively expensive ($60 total), and it took way too long to get it, but I suspect that was a screw up on the part of Sweetwater.

Note - if anyone has a tough time with Kurz service issues, feel free to contact me. I no longer work there full time, but I'm still plugged in at R&D and would be happy to assist.

weiserdav@gmail.com

I had to replace it recently, and it was relatively expensive ($60 total), and it took way too long to get it, but I suspect that was a screw up on the part of Sweetwater.

Note - if anyone has a tough time with Kurz service issues, feel free to contact me. I no longer work there full time, but I'm still plugged in at R&D and would be happy to assist.

weiserdav@gmail.com

Thanks, Dave! Though I have to say, Kurzweil's service was fine in this matter, they put me through to the distributor that carries their replacement parts (AMS maybe? I don't remember), that distributor gave me the catalog numbers for the PS and cord, but I had to order through a retailer. I called Sweetwater, and it was there that I started getting a runaround, and it took over 2 months for me to get the parts.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Tee, three years ago I couldn't find one to play either but I love Kurz and there's tons of high quality vids out there. I spent weeks checking those out and simply bought mine on faith and wasn't disappointed.

See what Al Coda wrote concerning the data sliders and other controls? That's what I said earlier too, you really have to learn how those controls work and how they can radically change the sound. You might hear someone playing something on the PC3 and think what's all the noise about, that sounds like every other EP I've ever heard. All that means is the guy didn't know how to manipulate those sliders or just didn't want to.

A PC3 is very deep. Extremely deep. You mentioned in the other thread that you're not too tech savvy. A PC3 is a high level keyboard for real tech heads, it's probably the most tweakable keyboard out there but if you don't know how to do that or don't want to learn then a basic rompler may be best for you.

Bob

Are you a tech savy guy? I ask because you are only 100 miles away. Or you know someone in the densely populated LA area.

So I can't just fool around with those sliders and get lucky?

The Kurz seems daunting to me.. just like jazz is daunting for many of us.

I meant, I cannot actually play ON a GIG the Kurz. There is a store here that has or had one. But they don't do 30 day returns!

While the PC3/PC3K is deep.... a good number of end users (about 75% in my experience) do little to no editing. The point of having 1000+ presets was to provide as many useful sounds to as many players as possible.

The deep architecture allowed us sound designers to be able to create very accurate presets so that end users wouldn't have to worry about editing themselves.

Many users end up only programming stuff like QA banks (custom groupings of 10 sounds that you select) and basic setups (splits, layers, etc).

Regarding the sliders... remember there is an INFO soft button on the display - hit it and it will tell you what each slider does for any program. Instead of editing in menus, you can just tweak a sound with the sliders, which have things assigned to them like reverb wet/dry, distortion drive, filter/brightness, envelope decay, etc.

Also, you might want to check out the 16 tutorial videos on the Kurz website. The later ones get into detailed programming, but the earlier ones are great for getting acquainted with the front panel and basic stuff.

http://kurzweil.com/product/pc3k8/video/

While the PC3/PC3K is deep.... a good number of end users (about 75% in my experience) do little to no editing. The point of having 1000+ presets was to provide as many useful sounds to as many players as possible.

The deep architecture allowed us sound designers to be able to create very accurate presets so that end users wouldn't have to worry about editing themselves.

Many users end up only programming stuff like QA banks (custom groupings of 10 sounds that you select) and basic setups (splits, layers, etc).

Regarding the sliders... remember there is an INFO soft button on the display - hit it and it will tell you what each slider does for any program. Instead of editing in menus, you can just tweak a sound with the sliders, which have things assigned to them like reverb wet/dry, distortion drive, filter/brightness, envelope decay, etc.

Also, you might want to check out the 16 tutorial videos on the Kurz website. The later ones get into detailed programming, but the earlier ones are great for getting acquainted with the front panel and basic stuff.

I am sure splits and layers are attainable, even by Tee! You mention 1000+ sounds to give a wide choice.. The 1000 is misleading in that I believe there is one acoustic bass on the flagship! And maybe a total of ten non synth type basses. A Motown, a Jaco, Peter Gabriel, along with a single ac bass..

Not meaning to come across as complaining.. I am saying, 1 acoustic bass is not 1000 or 100 or 10 even.

The perfect world w/ different sample sets from different models of the same instrument already exists.

Use a Motif XF and it´s stock samples plus Chick´s Rhodes MkV and Neo Soul epianos for the Motif and you´re done.

But I think the Yamaha CP-1, CP-5, CP-50 and now CP-4 Stage raised the bar,- eventually the Physis Piano too, depending on it´s user programmability and/or hopefully upcoming improved sound design for it´s stock epiano patches.

But technology wise,- I think sample technology is outdated.

B.t.w.,- my favourite Rhodes´ on the PC3 are "XFadeBelltone" (adjust DATA slider to taste as well as slider G and H for overdrive amount and warmth) and "Stevie´s Rhodes".

"Woodstock Clunker", "Stage Wurli" and "Austin ...Wurli" are great too.

Playing alone, I hate some of the sample velocity jumps being introduced in the factory sound programming,- but in a mix that gets almost lost.

+1

I think the best aspect of Kurzweil's EP sounds is their vibe. What they lack in expressivity (because of the velocity jumps -- and the Motif EPs suffer from this too), they compensate for with nailing that sound from classic songs.

I am sure splits and layers are attainable, even by Tee! You mention 1000+ sounds to give a wide choice.. The 1000 is misleading in that I believe there is one acoustic bass on the flagship! And maybe a total of ten non synth type basses. A Motown, a Jaco, Peter Gabriel, along with a single ac bass..

Not meaning to come across as complaining.. I am saying, 1 acoustic bass is not 1000 or 100 or 10 even.

The PC3K has 2 ac basses (each with a good amount of slider control over the tone) plus about 10 or so electrics, the latter being a huge improvement over what was in the older products.

For electrics, off the top of my head there's Motown, P-bass, J-bass, E-bass (bright pick), Chris Squire, Flea/Bootsy (slap), Sly (slap), Gabriel (fretless w octave pedal), Jaco (fretless w chorus) and maybe one or two more. Pretty much all the bases are covered.

When I was at Kurz full time and representing them on the forums, out of 10,000+ units sold, I don't recall hearing any complaints about the basses. It's actually one area where most end users - from weekend warriors to Roger Waters - were quite happy.

When mentioning "1000 sounds" I usually mean to imply that there are enough keyboard type sounds - 32 ac pianos, 48+ EPs, 32 clavs, 8+ Mellotrons, 80+ B3s, 128+ string sections, etc - to fulfill the needs of any professional player.

All this Kurzweil talk has prompted me to seek one out to add to my Genesis tribute rig. Unfortunately, the original PC3s are nearly impossible to find. I was able to locate two locally (NIB PC361 and display PC3x)...both were broken. Sigh...

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Archived