Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

It was never my boat to begin with

EddiePlaysBass

A while back, the singer of my former band told me that his current band was invited to play The Spirit Of '66, a venue which has hosted great acts like Uriah Heep, Glen Hughes, Proto Kaw, Cornerstone, Pat Travers, Joe Bonamassa and too many to mention. This is one of my favourite concert venues, so I told the boys that I would be there to cheer for them.

Keeping true to my word, I arrived about an hour before the show was scheduled to start. The club was empty but I know from experience that most people show up around the starting hour because every band starts at least 30 minutes late. I was greeted by the guitarist of my previous band - from the first moment we met, there was an instant friendship and I am glad to see it stayed that way.

Many of you have read my tales of woes, of band drama and how I ultimately quit what was left of a band I once loved so much. From around day one, Dusty Dollar had comprised of three camps: the singer and guitarist, the drummer and the other guitarist, and then there was me.

I hold no grudges towards anyone, but I could easily be angry with the singer and guitarist for starting a different band with a different rhythm section. And both during and after the Dusty Dollar era, I sometimes asked myself: "What would they have sounded like with me on bass?" Not out of jealousy, nor out of spite but out of musical curiosity: I am a very different bass player than the one they have, and I am sure it would affect their sound.

Sometimes I would tell people about how the singer and guitarist of my previous band had moved on to great success, releasing 2 albums, a DVD and getting bookings all over Europe. I would smile and say: "Guess I missed the boat!"

Seeing my friends on that stage where I have seen some of my all time favorite bands and acts, singing along to their songs and cheering them on, I only felt two things: pride and joy. I was proud of them, for all they have achieved. And I felt joy for them, that they get to live the dream which so many of us will never quite reach. And I realized that it was never my boat to begin with.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice story, David.

Even if you still were in that band, I don't think you would have quit your day job for the 15 minutes of fame.

At this point in my life, I need all the vacation days I can take to build my house and make all the arrangements around that. My friends in the band I mentioned all still work full-time (except the younger guitarist, who is a student).

It is one of the reasons why I looked for a band in the Netherlands - close to work so in a way more convenient (although it means I will always have at least a 1 hour drive, even for "local" gigs).

Like I said, watching my friends play made me realize that everything and everyone was where they should be: my friends on stage and I in the crowd cheering them on. Maybe I will have a similar experience some day, maybe it will never happen. Right now it is their time and their place, and I will be rooting for them all the way.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Nice touch, Dave. It's always better when bridges haven't been burned and some friendships can be retained.

But admit it - you were hoping to be called up for a "special guest appearance" to jam on something.

Na, you've matured beyond that.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

You are part of the new band's history, which is another way of saying that the new band wouldn't be where it is without your earlier contributions.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Archived