Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Eyes Wide Shut

Richard W

In the last year, I've been singing a lot more in the band. Started with harmonies, and have picked up a few lead singing duties as well. At our gig last Saturday, I sang lead on three songs, and took the lead on individual verses for two other songs, not to mention harmonies on almost everything else.

For some reason, I find it easier to sing and play with my eyes closed than with them open. My theory is that the challenge of playing (touch) and singing (auditory) simultaneously is made more difficult with a third sensory input (vision). By closing my eyes, I find it easier to focus on the two other tasks at hand. I will open my eyes sometimes while singing, and I'm curious if this will get easier as my confidence builds.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sometimes play with my eyes closed. I can get into a zone in which there is nothing there except music. At that point I'm not really aware of my fingers on the instrument: I just hear sounds and react.

I always sing with my eyes open because I am singing to someone. I may pick a person or group of people to sing to or if it's dark I might pick a spot to sing to so that whoever is there will think I am singing to them.

I always play with my eyes shut. Keeps the rotten fruit, thrown drinks, puke, and other assorted objects hurled from the audience toward me from clouding my vision of the song.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I always play with my eyes shut. Keeps the rotten fruit, thrown drinks, puke, and other assorted objects hurled from the audience toward me from clouding my vision of the song.

:laugh: Glad I wasn't drinking water when I read this!

I started sining a little back up right before the band broke up. I don't have a great voice for lead but for ohh and ahh it's fine. I had my eyes open as I needed visual cue's for what was happening form wise as we never seemed to do anything the same way twice.

I do think that doing even a little background vox made me feel more part of the band, not just a side man bass player.

Well, it's reciprocal...we've heard tales. :mad:

Play. Just play.

Ha. I practice with my eyes closed, and it seems to help my accuracy and muscle memory.

I do this too, or sometimes just make a point of not looking at my bass at all.

I do think that doing even a little background vox made me feel more part of the band, not just a side man bass player.

This for sure: being able to sing really takes you to a whole new level of involvement, and enjoyment, in the band.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Well, it's reciprocal...we've heard tales. :mad:

That's a damm dirty lie! I've never thrown fruit or drinks or assorted objects at my audience! Maybe one time I puked (left my earplugs at home) but it certainly wasn't intentional! This is how scandalous rumors get started! :mad:

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I've had moments where I've closed my eyes. I think for moments it makes you look soulful (to jcadmus' point) but I'm more in Jeremy's camp where I'm singing to someone.

I get the concentration thing. Even when I am well practiced, there are moments when I need that extra concentration and closing my eyes is one way to get there...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived