Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Goblin (first U.S. tour)

Dana.

Saw them live last night -- their first time playing NYC on their first-ever U.S. tour! They were excellent, and LOUD. Here's a crappy photo of them playing the Suspiria theme.

1384037_10151869411414407_332003921_n.jpg

Claudio played a Moog Voyager (new, not old school), Roland Juno-Di, Hammond XK (couldn't tell what model), and Roland RD-700NX. Maurizio Guarini played a Roland Jupiter-80 and a Roland RD-700NX.

Setlist:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/goblin/2013/music-hall-of-williamsburg-brooklyn-ny-33c7c4e9.html

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool! I have tickets to see them in Portland on the 19th, with Secret Chiefs 3! A bunch of my music-nerd buddies and I are going to the show together, I really can't wait. I've seen the Secret Chiefs a number of times, and they are always great. Suspiria is one of my all-time favorite albums, and I almost can't believe that I will actually get to see them live.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Cool! I have tickets to see them in Portland on the 19th, with Secret Chiefs 3! A bunch of my music-nerd buddies and I are going to the show together, I really can't wait. I've seen the Secret Chiefs a number of times, and they are always great. Suspiria is one of my all-time favorite albums, and I almost can't believe that I will actually get to see them live.

:thu:

It was my first time seeing Secret Chiefs too. I'm also a big Mr. Bungle fan.

First time I'd ever heard of them was from the soundtrack to the George Romero's original Dawn of the Dead movie (1979). I wonder how many original members are in the current incarnation?

Two.

Whow, i did'nt know they were still around.

For an italian grown up in the 70s, and fanatic at that time about synths and keyboards and progressive music, the soundtrack of Profondo Rosso have a weigth surpassed only by Tubolar Bells (and for me, by the Tangerine Dream and Klause Schulze work).

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

• 2 weeks later...

Saw them last night, and wow! Amazing, keyboard-centric instrumental prog, played with precision and fire. The band also appeared to have a lot of fun.

Founding keyboardist Claudio Simonetti had a 4-keyboard stack, with a Roland RD-700 on the bottom, a Roland VK-8, a Roland Juno DI, and a Minimoog Voyager on top. He also had a laptop setup, and I believe it was controlled by the RD.

He used the Moog extensively, it was pretty much the main lead instrument in the band. The Juno DI mostly provided analog-ish pads and strings, and sounded quite good. I was pretty disappointed with the Hammond sounds from the VK, it had that weak, plastic-y clonewheel sound of instruments from a few generations back. Somebody needs to get this guy a Ventilator. (And while they are at it, give one to Steve Walsh from Kansas. What is it with these classic Hammond guys settling for such weak clonewheel sounds, especially when the current generation of instruments are so good?)

"New guy" keyboardist Maurizio Guarini (he's only been with the band since 1975) played also played an RD-700, with a Roland Jupiter 80 on top. It was pretty cool to see how the 2 keyboardists split the arrangements between them, with Guarini doing much of the core parts, and Simonetti handling coloristic parts and melodic leads. Both were clearly killer players.

It was a really fun show, and the fact that they sold out the venue gives me hope for the future of this kind of music in this area. Openers Secret Chiefs 3 did a typically awesome set, veering between twangy Middle-Eastern surf music, mathy metal and classic soundtrack references (they covered the theme to Exodus, and another tune that I'm pretty sure was by Morricone).

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

I saw a bunch of Argenti's films at a festival while visiting family in Boston a few years ago, and was blown away -- it reminded me of some of my own stuff in that genre (horror/suspense soundtrack/soundscape). Weird and zany, clever and funny, but serious all at the same time.

They're coming to SF but it's while I'm out of town. Didn't know it's their first tour here. The band was put together for the soundtrack originally but then continued on... sort of like Spinal Tap.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The band was put together for the soundtrack originally but then continued on... sort of like Spinal Tap.

That's not entirely true, they existed as band called Oliver, and then briefly as Cherry Five, and only changed their name to Goblin because the Profundo Russo soundtrack was released nearly simultaneously with the Cherry Five album. Or so I understand from their convoluted history.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

Archived