Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Halloween Gigs

Fusker

Halloween Gigs are coming up.

I found the recent thread Gig Format on gig format interesting and thought I'd start a thread with general tips people may have for this massive event.

BTW, what dates are your Halloween bookings taking place? 10/26 is apparently the "go to" date around here this year.

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Playing a Halloween party on the 26th at a hippy community center up in the Coast Range, it's an annual party that has been going on for 40-ish years, should be a kind of crazy night.

On Halloween itself, my neighbor plays in a Doom Metal band, and the whole band is dressing up in robes and playing on his front yard to scare the trick-or-treaters until the cops inevitably shut them down, figured it would be worth hanging around for that.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Not playing a Halloween gig this year, but in past years, many of them included a costume contest with cash prizes. If your gig will include that, make sure you take it into account when doing your set list, since that will likely be a fairly large gap of time taken bringing people up, judging, announcing, etc.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

The great arranger and band leader Tom Kubis hosts a Halloween party at his house in Hunington beach every year where the big band sets up on his driveway in and plays. I'll be holding down the piano chair this year. It's not a paid gig, but it's a party with lots of good vibes.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Doing a duo gig at a winery on Halloween night (31st)...my brother and I were just working on a Halloween medley...so far Werewolves in London, The Munsters Theme, and Ghostbusters. Been fun programming sounds for the latter two. Also a challenge getting the hand independence to cover all the essential parts (my brother is playing drums on those two.) Goofy stuff but that's what Halloween is for.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

my brother and I were just working on a Halloween medley...so far Werewolves in London, The Munsters Theme, and Ghostbusters.

Back in my 80s band, we learned Thriller, Ghostbuster, and Somebody's Watching Me for Halloween one year...That was fun...Vocoder on Somebody's Watching Me, and at the time the Geico commercials had that song, so we got a stack of money with eyes and set it out for that song. On Thriller, I got the special edition CD that had the Vincent Price tracks by themselves. I sampled them and had Vincent Price in our version of it. I struggled to get the howling sounds in the beginning, then read online that Michael Jackson did the howls with his voice. I thought, well if he can do it, I can do it. So I sampled myself howling. With all the reverb on it and stuff, it ended up sounding spot on. Ghostbusters was pretty boring, IMO.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I found the recent thread Gig Format on gig format interesting and thought I'd start a thread with general tips people may have for this massive event.

BTW, what dates are your Halloween bookings taking place? 10/26 is apparently the "go to" date around here this year.

Halloween gigs are always my favorite. Nothing like playing "Spooky" by ARS to a packed dance floor where most people are in costume. In the DC area, most young women use the occasion to dress like harlots. Hopefully for you it's the same wherever you are! :laugh:

:nopity:

my brother and I were just working on a Halloween medley...so far Werewolves in London, The Munsters Theme, and Ghostbusters.

Back in my 80s band, we learned Thriller, Ghostbuster, and Somebody's Watching Me for Halloween one year...That was fun...Ghostbusters was pretty boring, IMO.

Yeah, it's pretty repetitive... the programming of the sounds was funner than the actual playing. But the potential for audience participation was high (Ghostbusters!).

Thought about Thriller but didn't think we good pull it off as a duo.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

Back in my 80s band, we learned Thriller, Ghostbuster, and Somebody's Watching Me for Halloween one year...That was fun...Ghostbusters was pretty boring, IMO.

Yeah, it's pretty repetitive... the programming of the sounds was funner than the actual playing. But the potential for audience participation was high (Ghostbusters!).

Thought about Thriller but didn't think we good pull it off as a duo.

Yep, same opinion of Ghostbusters. Thought I'd like it. I think the lack of enthusiasm on our end killed it for the crowd. Thriller would be tough for a duo - LOTS of harmonies. We were a 5-pc, it pretty much kicked ass. The Rockwell one worked so well that we kept it in the setlist for a while.

I want a new drug....Ghostbusters!

Dan

Absolutely, I played this gig 2 years ago...place holds a good 500 people...and yes, there are 37,000 college students within 8 miles.

Halloween gigs are always my favorite. Nothing like playing "Spooky" by ARS to a packed dance floor where most people are in costume. In the DC area, most young women use the occasion to dress like harlots. Hopefully for you it's the same wherever you are! :laugh:

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

Back in my 80s band, we learned Thriller, Ghostbuster, and Somebody's Watching Me for Halloween one year...That was fun...Vocoder on Somebody's Watching Me, and at the time the Geico commercials had that song, so we got a stack of money with eyes and set it out for that song. On Thriller, I got the special edition CD that had the Vincent Price tracks by themselves. I sampled them and had Vincent Price in our version of it. I struggled to get the howling sounds in the beginning, then read online that Michael Jackson did the howls with his voice. I thought, well if he can do it, I can do it. So I sampled myself howling. With all the reverb on it and stuff, it ended up sounding spot on. Ghostbusters was pretty boring, IMO.

Try and use the GM "ocarina" sound with some pitchbends along with the reverb...You can get a realistic wolfhowl that will pass if you don't sample. I don't use samples,but wanted that howl..After some experimentation,that's how I did it with my midi version of thriller...Just a midi trick/idea I'd thought I'd throw your way..

Take Care..

Mike

I managed to get a gig inside a haunted house one year. Basically did some backwards sampled responsive satanic readings over demonic pipe organ stuff interspersed with some John Carpenter Halloween score influenced electronics with a Phantom of the Opera vibe. I dressed like the grim reaper, improvised the whole thing as each night went along. Jezz that was fun!! Should search out one of those jobs again!

I have a great idea for a theatrical performance art thing combined with rave party thing I want to do on year, based on seeing some ghosts trapped in jars for sale on ebay, but I figure it will take me a good two years just to pull it all together as it gets more technical and complicated every time I work on planning it out and I need actors and dancers and choreographers and some weird puppets and ..... Hmmm ....

Les Mizzell

----------------------------------------------

One of my several projects is a '50s revue. That is mostly summertime outdoor Classic Car Cruise Nights. The last one of the season is the Halloween Cruise sponsored by a local supermarket. This year it runs all afternoon on the 27th. Kind of compromises the theme a bit being in the afternoon, but that's because but many classic cars are not driven after dark. Nevertheless, bring on the costumes, Werewolf of London and The Monster Mash!

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

We played a private party at a residence one Halloween, and the police showed up. I thought they were guests dressed up like cops, and acted like it. They straightened me out in a hurry. Noise complaint from a neighbor who should have been invited!
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

how about combining werewolves of london with sweet home alabama - that might work.

I think it's almost impossible not to :)

Last year we played werewolves and I found myself playing the solo piano licks from Sweet Home...even though I've never played that song in a band. Probably because Werewolves is so monotonous from a keyboard perspective.

www.stickmanor.com

Kid Rock already did it with "All Summer Long". I *hated* having to play that tune as it ruined (in my opinion) two great classic rock songs.

A Halloween tune that flies under the radar that my old band used to do was Donovan's "Season of the Witch". Good stone groove with some fun organ lines.

how about combining werewolves of london with sweet home alabama - that might work.

Last year we played werewolves and I found myself playing the solo piano licks from Sweet Home...even though I've never played that song in a band. Probably because Werewolves is so monotonous from a keyboard perspective.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

Unavoidable!

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

A Halloween tune that flies under the radar that my old band used to do was Donovan's "Season of the Witch". Good stone groove with some fun organ lines.

That was on our short list and I think it will work for a duo. May have to add that one if we get enough prep time.

www.stickmanor.com

We quickly added Love Potion #9 and Spooky last night. Werewolves of London did not stick, lol. Gotta think of at least one more.

My band has a Nov 1 show booked and it's a weird day as I'm not really sure it will be a "halloween" gig after all as it's the day after.

Should we costume up or? It's also going to be interesting as it's traditionally a country bar that also has rock bands and we're going to be much more 80's then they are likely used to. Sweet Home Alabama and La Grange work better in a country bar then Just Like Heaven and Hungry Like The Wolf... Oh well, our peeps will dance.

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

Spot on. This is actually a pretty easy gig when you factor in all the gaps...only like 2.75 hours of music out of a 4 hour slot.

Not playing a Halloween gig this year, but in past years, many of them included a costume contest with cash prizes. If your gig will include that, make sure you take it into account when doing your set list, since that will likely be a fairly large gap of time taken bringing people up, judging, announcing, etc.

Yeah, Halloween on a Thursday makes it a bit weird. That was part of why I started the thread, was curious what dates the shows were taking place.

The day after Halloween? I wouldn't wear a costume unless they are having costume contests and the like, especially with the scenario you describe.

My band has a Nov 1 show booked and it's a weird day as I'm not really sure it will be a "halloween" gig after all as it's the day after.

Should we costume up or? It's also going to be interesting as it's traditionally a country bar that also has rock bands and we're going to be much more 80's then they are likely used to. Sweet Home Alabama and La Grange work better in a country bar then Just Like Heaven and Hungry Like The Wolf... Oh well, our peeps will dance.

You could dress up like an 80s band and only play 80s music.

Dan

Upon further review, we play Sympathy for the Devil and Put Your Lights On (Santana), so I'm thinking 4 songs with a Halloween vibe should be plenty.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived