Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg MS2000

Steve Nathan

A friend wrote to say that his kid wants a Korg MS2000, and he has around $500 to spend on it or something similar.

I don't know this instrument. Was it special in some way, or popular with a certain style of music?

A quick Google/Ebay/Amazon yielded used ones in various conditions, but most would push his limit with either the purchase price alone or the International shipping.

Anything similar to this model worth considering?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never laid my hands on one, but I remember being interested in it when it first came out. There have been a heck of a lot of VA's to come out. Basically, it was an early 4 voice VA physical model of the MS20. Some of the reviews weren't that great of it. Any VA with 4 voices or more would be an alternative option.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

It's not bad, but I would look at a Yamaha AN1x instead. For some reason, it seems to go for ridiculously low prices at the moment, and it's sonically superior in my opinion. Also, it has a 5-octave keyboard with aftertouch, and a ribbon controller.

OTOH, it has much fewer knobs for programming, so it's not as immediate.

Other options to consider for a similar price (used) are Alesis Ion, early Nord Leads and Viruses, Waldorf MicroQ, MicroKorg, Roland JP8000...

I had the rack version for a few years. I regretted not having the keyboard version because of the intimate connection between kbd & front panel. Otherwise, I liked the instrument. I think it was pretty well suited to techno, as the sound was a little abrasive (in a good short of way).

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Very nice board. Same basic engine as the MicroKorg (not the XL), but knobbier, with full size keyboard.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/ms2000.php

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I auditioned one extensively when it was new, and thought it was ok. I liked the JP-8000 and Nord Lead better, but actually ended up with a V-Synth. The 3 1/2 octave keyboard and four voice polyphony pretty much ruled it out for my purposes. It's not a true one knob per function VA like the Nord Lead and JP-8000 - but close.

Speaking of which, I'd advise against getting any knobby synth this old without checking it out first hand. These guys have been around awhile now, and quite a few have developed front panel glitches over the years.

If it's for a kid, have them check out the M-Audio Venom - which can be had for around $200 new and just ooze the contemporary edgy EDM sounds I'm hearing so much in today's music. I was very impressed when I played one. It's fully computer integrated too, which may speak his language better than a stand-alone VA.

I had a tough choice between MS2000 and JP8000 when they were new on the market. Spent several hours one Saturday A/B-ing them. Roland was darker and warmer sounding, but the Korg had a sparkly edge that really appealed to me at the time. Ended up narrowing it down to the rack mount versions to save $, and Korg ultimately wound up under my arm...better price and more aggressive tones.

Got lost in soundscapes for weeks. Admittedly, I haven't touched it for nearly a year...just might light it up when I get home this evening.

I have the MS2000R. I used it mostly for the vocoder and occasionally for some fat bass sounds. The routing capability is really nice, especially with up to 3 sequencers. Wish I had taken more time to learn it. Now I'm trying to sell it (among a lot of other items) so I can pay for my new CP4.

Just Dan: In no way was/is the MS-2000 related to the MS-20. That was never the design intent. It's a general purpose virtual analog synth. Good engine, with nice modulation and step-sequencer-like modulation capabilities. Decent vocoder, not the best-in-class, but workable (see, I can be critical of my kids!). A great design for learning synthesis as well as just playing, due to it's good knobby interface.

Jerry

I wouldn't spend $500 on one, especially if it's going to be "my kid's first VA synth."

Other options to consider for a similar price (used) are Alesis Ion, early Nord Leads and Viruses, Waldorf MicroQ, MicroKorg, Roland JP8000...

+1 (except for the microKORG)

Yes,the Micro and 2000 were the same engine I believe.

My MS2000 crapped out on me after 2 years. Bizarre modulation behavior then just stopped working. I used it on a total of 6 gigs, the rest in my studio.

I thought it sounded great but was so cheaply constructed and way too susceptible to ESD unlike any other board I have.

I used to be a Korg fan (MiniKorg, Polysix, DW8000) but the cost of repair was too darn close to what I paid for it.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

I love the MS2000 for the same reason I like a lot of free soft synths. It is a great platform to learn synthesis.

For a $500 player instrument I would prefer a JP-8000 or Radias-R Rack.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

$150 is about the right price, if it's the BR edition (at least that's my recollection of the revision model's name).

I owned the blue one, sold it, then bought the black revised edition for $220 at a blow out sale. Then I sold it for the RADIAS, which ultimately disappointed (different story).

I still have tracks recorded with the MS2000BR that sit well with other tracks and which take well on the whole to replacing with Polysix and/or MonoPoly (VI's), but there are other tracks that have a special mojo I haven't been able to get with the VI's. I have no regrets selling it though; I learned a lot on that synth and it helped me develop criteria for other synths, but ultimately it's a bit too grainy. Good vocoder design.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Then I sold it for the RADIAS, which ultimately disappointed (different story).

Sorry to hear that. I've heard people say the MS2000 has a warmer sound vs. the Radias, but I've not played them both.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I wouldn't bother.

Tried the MS2000B as an analogue general purpose synth and couldn't get the sounds I wanted because of the bizarre programming quirks - avoid IMHO.

Not a great keyboard either - I got the Roland XP30 (see other thread)

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Archived