Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Closing statements

MAJUSCULE

I was wondering yesterday: What are the best last albums of an artist's career? I'm talking mostly about artists who know they're going to pass and record their last great effort. Off the top of my head, Michael Brecker's Pilgrimmage and J Dilla's Donuts come to mind. Both guys left nothing on the table in the last moments of their lives.

Anyone else?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard a lot of good things about Glen Campbell's Ghost on the Canvas.

Johnny Cash's American Recordings era were supposed to be great as well.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Not a deliberate "closing statement," but Kenny Kirkland did some amazing playing on his last album with Branford, which they ended up calling Requiem in his honor.

Also, Professor Longhair's Crawfish Fiesta is widely regarded as his best recording. He passed away shortly before its release, though I don't know what his condition was like during the recordings.

Warren Zevon's the only guy I can think of as well.

Did Levon Helm know he was on his last lap when he made Electric Dirt? He'd been battling cancer off and on for almost 15 years at that point, but it's not like he passed away right after it was released.

Maybe Chris Whitley...he died of cancer about 4 months after his last album was released, but I have no idea how sick he was while recording it.

Mozart's Requiem. Died after writing measure 8 (12/8 time). Of course, he didn't live to see the album released...

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

SRV's "In Step" is a good one. Finally emerging from a fog of alcohol and depression, Stevie gets headed in a good direction and produces an album based on that attitude. It's my favorite, too. And then, of course, the fatal accident.

Hasten Down the Wind.

Linda Ronstadt? Isn't she still alive?

She's alive but no longer sings thanks to Parkinson's, so her swan song has been sung, whatever it might have been.

Don't know an album. But I believe the great Stan Getz knew he had cancer while still playing with Kenny Barron if someone here knows !!

And john Coltrane. Did Expressions a few months before his exit

Recorded in February and March and he passed in July 1967

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

George Harrison's brainwashed is quite good.

Elliott Smith's basement on a hill is fantastic. Technically he didn't know he was going to stick a knife in his chest, but his suicide took no one by surprise.

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

Elliott Smith's basement on a hill is fantastic. Technically he didn't know he was going to stick a knife in his chest, but his suicide took no one by surprise.

His death has never been officially declared a suicide, and I think there are several people who were close to him that would take issue with your comment that his death wasn't a surprise.

George Duke's "Dream Weaver" would certainly qualify. We could argue for pages whether or not it was his best, but it is pretty amazing. :cool:

Between the tribute to his departed wife and knowing that he was battling a grave illness, I can definitely perceive the sense of urgency he must have felt in getting the album finished and released.

><>

Steve

His death has never been officially declared a suicide, and I think there are several people who were close to him that would take issue with your comment that his death wasn't a surprise.

On the suicide or not, I am aware of the fact it was not officially declared a suicide and the possibility of homicide. I also know he seemed to have gotten a handle on addiction.

The only "witness" says after an argument she locked herself in the bathroom, heard a scream , came out to see him with a knife in his chest. Unfortunately she removed it. Yes this is her side of the story, and we can never hear his.

I think the issue is that based on the physical evidence one could make a case for either suicide or homicide, so without further evidence it cannot be officially declared either, however there were also no charges laid against Ms. Chiba or anyone else.

He wrote about suicide and depression frequently though, some in the media dubbed him "mister misery", and apparently he told a few people over the years that he often considered it. I believe he also had a previous failed suicide attempt. I also recall reading reactions from a few people who knew him saying that it was sad but they were not surprised (this based on the idea it was suicide).

Perhaps I made too lightly of it and if I offended anyone I do apologize. I am a huge fan of the man's work and talent and my preference would be he would still be here making music. I think he was getting better with each album, and From a Basement on the Hill is my favorite album of his. Actually a poster for that album hangs in my studio.

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

The Minutemen: 3-way Tie for Last

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0000/026/MI0000026127.jpg

Released in October 1985, in December, guitarist/songwriter D. Boon dies in a car accident. The cover seems eerily prescient, and it was the best damn record they ever made. IMHO, The Minutemen were poised for greatness.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

This is another where the artist didn't know they were leaving us, but Bill Evans' Live at the Village Vanguard with Scott LaFaro.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Perhaps I made too lightly of it and if I offended anyone I do apologize.

I didn't think you made light of it, nor do I think you offended anyone. I just thought the situation should be clarified for those who don't know his music or the context for what happened.

Miles Davis organised two concerts in the summer and fall of 1991, one in Paris (i was there) and another i think in Montreau, where he played old stuff with old friends; in Montreau he played some Giles Evans stuff with Quincy Jones (and this concert was edited as a CD). In Paris he played (if i remember well, it was a while ago) with Al Foster, David Liebman, Herbie Hancock, Joe Zawinul, Wayne Shorter. It is not exactly what the OP intended, but it was quite a strong closing statement; it was not clear at the time of the concert, but some interviews he gave at the time give some hints to the public.

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

Mingus did his collaboration with Joni Mitchell when he knew the end was near. I know there are fans of both artists who dislike this album....but I like it a lot.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Archived