Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

stage 2 and sk1

Delaware Dave

I went to the Tower Theatre in Philly last night to see Hall and Oates. The Tower is a true theatre and has the best acoustics I have ever heard. I sat in the 1st row in the lower bacony, dead center to the stage. The sound system and the acoustics were phenomenal. The opening act featured a duo guitar/keyboard act. I know the key player and he uses a Stage 2 (I've played it several times). His sounds were exclusively piano, wurli and B3. H&O k/b player (Elliot Lewis) is now using an SK1. The difference in the B3 sound was noticeable and the Sk1 was clearly more authentic, most noticeably the leslie sim. It sounded fairly close to having a B3/leslie on the stage. The Stage 2 just didn't have THAT sound like the SK1 did. It's making (for me) an SK1 73 key a very viable option.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you know for certain that the SK1 player wasn't using a Vent? (Or, for that matter, a real Leslie? Though that would have been harder to miss!)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've always preferred the SK-1 over the Stage 2 when the organ engines are blown through their respective internal Leslie sims. When both are played through a Vent, the gap narrows, but I still prefer the SK-1.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Hello Delaware Dave-great post in all areas! I myself think the tower is great-

I have seen 29 shows there- most recently Sting in 2011- and I actually almost always try to sit exactly where you did - row AA of the Loge.

It is my second favorite venue (been to around 425 various concerts, MSG is though is #1, Borgata #3)

Acoustics are great- one thing I remember to this day was the cymbal ride sound when Sting did Moon over Bourbon Street in around 2000. I also have seen the Rolling Stones there, Bowie, and some Seely Dan album shows.

-Back to your concert- how long did H&O play- I only skipped it because I heard they did only 80 minutes- I do like them and saw them at the final spectrum show.

- In terms of the sk1- I have been tempted to purchase it- honestly only reason I haven't is the price- I ended up with Korg SP280 and Krome 61 combined for around $400 less

However, I do really like the Hammond- also I really think they did a nice job with the acoustic pianos on it.

Lars,

The opening act went on at EXACTLY 8PM and played about 35 minutes or so. H&O went on at 8:50 and with 2 encores were off the stage at 10:20PM., so the show was 90 minutes. I've seen them at the Borgata and the shows there are typically about 80 minutes long. Just to contrast, back in 1981(?) I saw Springsteen for the first time at the Spectrum. He went on at 8:10 and played till 10:25, then took a 45 minute break and came back on at 11:10 and played until 12:40AM! That's almost 4 hours of music. You don't see acts doing that much anymore ....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I am a HUGE Hall & Oates fan but I've stopped seeing them live because I think an 80/90-minute show, considering all the material in their catalog, is bullshit. Comparatively, Rush, the Stones, Prince, and many other older bands still play 2 1/2- to 3-hour shows.

To their credit they actually broke out some old material that they haven't done in years (Las Vegas Turnaround, Alone Too Long) but, yeah, the show is getting stale. Same core 12-14 songs that they do every show. The "no can do" version was off the chart and the place erupted. Daryl announced at the show that he just signed a new deal with Palladia so more shows are coming there. Interestingly there was a mix of young and old people so perhaps the Palladia spot has sparked interest in a younger crowd. But that has always been my gripe every time I go; 80 minutes and the show is over? WTF....

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Thats great, that song Las Vegas Turnaround, is from Abandon Luncheonette, the same album the unabridged Shes Gone is on. I was hoping they would get here to NYS but I did not see any dates listed on their site.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Actually, they've been doing "Las Vegas Turnaround" pretty regularly in recent years. But for a band that has had an incredible resurgence and is drawing a diverse crowd, they should be playing longer.

Another reason I stopped seeing them is because T-Bone is gone. Even though he had switched to guitar live, it's just not the same for me without him.

Yeah he was a huge part of that band and did wicked harmonies. Who did he get replaced with? His percussionist was touring with Bruce the last go around.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Archived