Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alex Lifeson arrested

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What would happen if any of us jumped on stage with Rush during a concert to sing a song for our girlfriend ?? They'd be yelling for security, and if we got in a fight with the security guards, we'd get beat up too. Sorry, but I don't feel sorry for drunks who jump up on stage and refuse to get off stage when asked. He may be a "Big Rock Star", but this wasn't his gig, and it's never a good idea to get into a fight with the cops. But after it's all over, they'll say it was the alcohol talking.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Originally posted by djwayne:

What would happen if any of us jumped on stage with Rush during a concert to sing a song for our girlfriend ?? They'd be yelling for security, and if we got in a fight with the security guards, we'd get beat up too. Sorry, but I don't feel sorry for drunks who jump up on stage and refuse to get off stage when asked. He may be a "Big Rock Star", but this wasn't his gig, and it's never a good idea to get into a fight with the cops. But after it's all over, they'll say it was the alcohol talking.

Interesting point. I saw Rush in Costa Mesa, CA in about 1990 and a couple guys jumped the stage when Tom Sawyer came on. The one guy tried to get Geddy to shake his hand but Geddy gave him a death stare and these enormous security guys subdued the guys. The stage crashers were blind drunk it looked like. Anyhow, I had the feeling at the time that those guys were treated to a pretty good old fashioned ass whoopin' backstage. In any event I doubt those guys were punished much criminally.

We don't know the facts about this case though. Was Lifeson defending his son? I'd be surprised if he initiated any kind of violence. That seems entirely out of character.

Originally posted by LanceMo:

Was Lifeson defending his son? I'd be surprised if he initiated any kind of violence. That seems entirely out of character.

Yes. If anything, his son was being the ass by jumping onstage. It seems, possibly, that Alex went nuts when he saw what he perceived as the mistreatment of his son. And of course, it was New Year's, and alcohol was fueling the whole course of events.

Anyway, I hate when stuff like this happens. You see it on CNN and some unknowing person gets the image of "the six foot, 230 pound guitarist who spat blood at police had hits in the '80s including Tom Sawyer". That is hardly a complete description of the Alex Lifeson I've admired.

- Jeff

http://naplesnews.com/npdn/news/article/0,2071,NPDN_14940_2547066,00.html

I would guess his son went back in the room to get his jacket or whatever, and the police - being the police - had a sudden ego-retentive attack, probably exacerbated by being around so many rich yobbos at the $600 a family affair.

Not realizing Lifeson could pull down an attourney to actually fight them.

It was just a band at a hotel, it's not like some guy was trying to get onstage at a Britney Spears show - it *was* New Year's Eve, and we all know what that means: the band is probably not going to be alone on stage at some point in the night.

But knowing that Lifesone has had ample opportunity to show a mean streak over the years of being a rock star in Rush, we would have known if this sort of thing was his nature before now; and if you go by the police account, the injuries don't add up right: the officer was shoved down the stairs, but Alex took her radio and THEN she tased him?

The police seem to be getting more and more arrogant these days with their extended power.

Then Dave Grohl is declared "Best Guitarist" by _Guitar World_ magazine, over his "competition" Jack White? Meanwhile, Alex Lifeson is in jail?

Originally posted by LanceMo:

Interesting point. I saw Rush in Costa Mesa, CA in about 1990 and a couple guys jumped the stage when Tom Sawyer came on. The one guy tried to get Geddy to shake his hand but Geddy gave him a death stare and these enormous security guys subdued the guys. The stage crashers were blind drunk it looked like. Anyhow, I had the feeling at the time that those guys were treated to a pretty good old fashioned ass whoopin' backstage. In any event I doubt those guys were punished much criminally.

I'll bet they were ejected from the building with little more than the bruises from grabbing them off the stage. The days of being able to open a can of whoop ass on concert goers are long gone. People sue much too easily - only the police can get away with that kind of shit because they can fabricate charges if they need to.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Northerners and Southerners don't always mix to well, I've spent the holidays in Florida with some of my Northerner relatives and I got to say Florida is one strange mixture of attitudes this time of year, it's also getting crowded and stressful, the traffic is enough to keep me from going back anytime soon! Happy New Year Florida! :bor:
WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Archived