Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alex Lifeson arrested

Found this on CNN

web page

NAPLES, Florida (AP) -- The lead guitarist for the rock band Rush faces criminal charges after a New Year's Eve fight with sheriff's deputies.

Alex Zivojinovich, better known by his stage name Alex Lifeson, was arrested for what deputies described as drunken, violent behavior at the Naples Ritz-Carlton hotel.

Deputies said they used a stun gun on Zivojinovich, 50, who faces 6 charges that include aggravated battery on a law enforcement officer, resisting an officer with violence, and disorderly intoxication.

Also arrested were his 33-year-old son Justin Zivojinovich and wife Michelle Zivojinovich, 30.

Justin Zivojinovich said his father, who was still in Collier County jail late Thursday, had his nose broken by deputies.

He also said his father did not throw a female deputy down the stairs, as stated in arrest reports. She tumbled down the stairs as she pushed the guitarist down the stairwell, his son said.

The scuffle began when Justin Zivojinovich refused to leave a stage, according to the arrest report.

Rush's hits include "Tom Sawyer," from the 1981 album "Moving Pictures," "Limelight" and "Spirit of the Radio."

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. My mind is blown. One of my biggest heros and he always seems so gentle. Maybe he's just an "angry drunk." My brother is visiting our parents in Naples this week...maybe he can run down to the jail and finally meet him! ;) I really hope it turns out to not be as bad as it sounds...
None more black.

Originally posted by rebonn:

Any time you tell someone like that to get off the stage (exit stage laft) there's gonna be trouble.

Maybe it would be more accurate to say that: "Any time you tell someone like that's drunken son to get off the stage (exit stage laft) there's gonna be trouble" :eek:

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Originally posted by rog951:

Wow. My mind is blown. One of my biggest heros and he always seems so gentle. Maybe he's just an "angry drunk." My brother is visiting our parents in Naples this week...maybe he can run down to the jail and finally meet him! ;) I really hope it turns out to not be as bad as it sounds...

Hahha. How funny is this? I'm gonna make a FREE ALEX sign and head down to the jailhouse.

Man, this sucks. I can make no claim as to whether he's guilty or not (I wasn't there), but I've always liked Alex. Like Rog said, he seems like such a gentle guy, this seems way out of character.

Perhaps he should have escaped in his Red Barchetta. :rolleyes::)

And, uh..."Zivojinovich"? How could I have never known that after all those years off being a Rush fan?

- Jeff

I'm interested to see if independent witnesses come forward to dispute either Justin's & Alex's story or that in the police report.

I'm interested to know if the female deputy really pushed Alex down the stairs. If so, I can only assume he attempted to regain his balance by grabbing on to her. Bad situation all around.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

...And, uh..."Zivojinovich"? How could I have never known that after all those years off being a Rush fan?

- Jeff

You and me, both, Jeff. :rolleyes: In our defense, Weaselboy, we were more interested in important stuff like how to play Rush songs. :thu:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I'm interested in how his wife is younger than his son. Yeah, I know, different mothers. But when your spouse is three years younger than your kid, isn't that pushing it just a bit?

"Zivojinovich" has a certain ring to it. Why'd he change?

Current live rig: Roland RD700SX, Hammond XK-3 with Leslie System 21, and Muse Receptor. Also a Nord Stage 76 other times instead. And a Roland FP-7 for jazz gigs.

HOME: Kawai MP8 + a bunch of VI's.

His son might be a wise ass who got himself in a physical scuffle with the police. Right or wrong many people would jump in to the aid of their son. Police can be very abusive in Florida and lie through their teeth to cover themselves. Living a town that is mainly Canadian natives I can tell you they're a rugged bunch if you mess with them, if you don't bother them they're as quiet and shy as a lamb. A good friend of mine from Long Island was a local standout in hockey, a big burly Irish guy around 20 or so. He had been sent to a Canadian hockey camp for about six months. He came back with his tail between his legs and said I'm all done with hockey, those guys are brutal. Paul.

Wow, one of my favorite guitarists ever. When I saw the topic title, I feared worse. I was praying it wasn't some Gary Glitter/Pete Townshend type of situation. Maybe I've lowered my standards, but IMO this is not a huge deal.
Brian Peet

Re: Name changing...if I ever had gotten famous I would have changed my name to something folks change their name from. :D Don't think I'll ever have that problem, though...HAHAHAHA...

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!! LET'S HAVE A WARM KANSAS CITY WELCOME FOR...Uh..uh...ZIVOJINOVICH WIENRIB!!!"

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by The Zeke Smith:

I'm interested in how his wife is younger than his son.

Oh...reading the article, I thought they were referring to his son's wife. But a woman of 30 and a guy who is 50 isn't a ridiculous situation. I know my own dad has dated women younger than me...so he's a lucky guy. ;)

Originally posted by deanmass:

Just FYI...

Geddy Lee is Gary Lee Wienrib.

That I knew. He became "Geddy" via the way his old Jewish grandmother used to pronounce his name in a Yiddish accent.

Now we just need to find out that Neil Peart is actually Neil Peartovinovichskison. :)

Originally posted by nhcomp45@aol.com:

Right or wrong many people would jump in to the aid of their son.

Count me in as one of those people. I would face any charges and beat anyone's ass (law enforcement or no) if they fucked with my kid. I don't care if he was four or forty. :thu:

Originally posted by BrianPeet:

Maybe I've lowered my standards, but IMO this is not a huge deal.

I agree. I think it's just surprising since it's Alex. I mean, c'mon...the guy is too sensitive to play a guitar with a plastic pick guard...says it irritates his skin. :rolleyes:

- Jeff

I'm interested in how his wife is younger than his son.

Oh...reading the article, I thought they were referring to his son's wife.
I believe that they are referring to the son's wife. At one point in an interview he even mentions that he "just wanted to sing a song for my wife".

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Originally posted by Super 8:

On a positive note: It doesn't look like Courtney Love, Marilyn Manson, or Pee Diddily were involved in any newsworthy altercations this holiday season. :thu:

They didn't have new albums out... :P:D

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by Bunny.:

So much for "grace under pressure," huh? :freak::D

D'OH! :)

I'm sure this will cause some permanent waves among the Rush fan base. But no one is ready to say farewell to the kings of Canadian prog rock. It's not like he's the average working man. This is gonna cost him more than $2112, I'll bet. It'll be some big money, unless he skips town on the train to Bangkok, or hides in the trees. Some tears may flow when he says "entre nous" at the door of the jail. That's what happens when you're living in the limelight, though.

Okay, I'm sorry, I'll stop. I blame Bunny.

- Jeff

...I mean, c'mon...the guy is too sensitive to play a guitar with a plastic pick guard...says it irritates his skin. :rolleyes:

- Jeff

So that's his excuse for shining stage lights in my eyes with a chromed pickguard! :eek:

;):D

Originally posted by Super 8:

...He claims he was leaving the stage when security got there, but that security hit him with the stun gun. Sorry, but that sounds about like what I'd expect from a drunk who gets tangled with the Police...

WAIT JUST A MINUTE!?!?! Did he tangle with authrorities or Gordon Sumner, Andy Summers and Stuart Copeland??? :confused:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

The music room at my high school had a kewl 1973 graphic on the wall - with a sig at the bottom. "A. Zivojinovich '73"

Now his real name is in the papers, I'm vindicated - you see, no one believed that was the same guy as Alex LIfeson - couldn't be...

Of course, it seems that members of Rush attended every high school within 100 miles of Toronto... if you believe what people say about their high schools...

Anyway, Alex went to mine long enough to paint a big multi-colored stripe on the music room wall.

J

Originally posted by remainanon:

The music room at my high school had a kewl 1973 graphic on the wall - with a sig at the bottom. "A. Zivojinovich '73"

Sounds quite possible, except in 1973 he turned 20. That's a bit old to still be in high school, but, well, he is a guitarist. :freak:

- Jeff <--also a guitarist, so I know how these things go ;)

I'm interested in how his wife is younger than his son. Yeah, I know, different mothers. But when your spouse is three years younger than your kid, isn't that pushing it just a bit?

I was thinking the same thing until I read a different article - it's his son's wife. The wording in the CNN article made it confusing.

except in 1973 he turned 20
Yeah that's true - it was a long time ago for me too - it might have said '71 or '70 - or even '72.

In Ontario at that time people were in high school at 19 - up to what would be called 13th grade here...

Anyway I didn't get there until '74 so he was gone by then!

J

This is too bad. Alex is going to have a hard time- florida police are pretty crooked, and they will definitely fabricate stories for the police report. The judges and police will pretty much work together to make sure he gets screwed.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Archived