Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lightweight practice piano - Numapiano, Yam P35 or Korg SP?

The Piano Man

I own a Nord Stage 2 ha88. I love it, but it's precious. I'm looking for a lighter, 2nd piano for practices, smaller gigs etc.

I want hammer action and decent pianos, preferably bright ones that cut. I love the fact the numa is just 11kg but has an internal power supply and proper audio outputs. However I'm guessing the Yamaha P35 will probably sound better, plus it's half the price. Unfortunately, the Yamaha has a wallwart power supply and just a headphone output. The P105 has line outs but no midi so I can't consider it.

Any thoughts on the above boards greatfully received. Thanks!

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I understand you (OP), you want light weight and internal power supply.

Do you need 88 notes, or will 73 do? If the latter, look at a Nord HP. Still expensive though.

If you can live with an external PSU, then +1 on the Casio. Most lightweight boards have an external PSU - in fact the Numa is the only <30lb, internal-PSU, hammer-action 88 that I can think of.

Cheers, Mike.

One variable the OP didn't mention is the feel of the action. I think the Casio feels better than the Yamaha, and the Yamaha feels better than the TP100 used in the Numa and the low end weighted Nords.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

He wants standard MIDI Out (that's why he's looking at the P35 and not the P105), so he'd have to at least go up to the PX350.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived