Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Breaking Bad Music

HammondDave

Have you ever seen another tv series that had such amazing music in it?

SPOILER ALERT! DO not watch this video if you have not seen the last episode!

[video:youtube]

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, MV was a great show as well... One of my friends, Saundra Santiago, was a regular on it.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Breaking Bad was a fantastic show...it will be greatly missed.

My favourite track used in this show was 'On a Clear Day' by The Peddlers from a 'cooking' scene in season 5

Some very tasty organ playing around the 2:00 mark...

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Or this... (Always loved the Hammond in this song... The magic from Stop to Fast Leslie)

I hear Badfinger is getting a well deserved bump in sales and interest because of that scene.

That's great... As long as that asshole Stan Polley 's estate is not collecting the royalties...

As perfect a use of a musical cue as I've ever heard. When I watched it, I actually teared up when I heard that first B chord and recognized the tune, before the scene even played out.
Steinway L, 1958 Hammond B3, Kurzweil Forte, Prophet-6, Minimoog Voyager, Kawai VPC-1,Oberheim SEM-Pro, Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Rack

The Sopranos has somehow managed to elude me up until now.

With Breaking Bad finishing, and Mad Men and Treme not set to return for several months, perhaps it's something I should make an effort to watch?

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Nashville. Music is awesome. Course anything that T-Bone touches is awesome.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

The Sopranos has somehow managed to elude me up until now.

With Breaking Bad finishing, and Mad Men and Treme not set to return for several months, perhaps it's something I should make an effort to watch?

James

x

Sherlock (BBC)

Luther (BBC)

Black Mirror

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Sean Callery is a heavy dude.. writer for "24". I think that music definitely made that excellent show into a great show

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Yes. Miami Vice.

Miami Vice holds a special place in my heart. My old band The Reds from the late 70's -early 80's era had the honor of having actually 3 songs placed in one episode (The one featuring Pam Grier's first appearance). We we're obviously not as well known as others who have had songs on the show but Michael Mann loved our music. So much so that he used us again for songs for the movie "Band of The Hand" and then for scoring and playing the music for "Manhunter". Those were the days.

Walking Dead has some great music in it. New season starts Oct 13th. Can't wait.

http://bigfun3.bandcamp.com

www.facebook.com/BigFunThree

As perfect a use of a musical cue as I've ever heard. When I watched it, I actually teared up when I heard that first B chord and recognized the tune, before the scene even played out.

Exactly how I felt... Perfect choice of music... Vince Gilligan is a genius!

I am sorry.. I tried to follow this exchange.. which music are you referring to?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Loved loved loved it! Perfect song for the perfect ending. Put a big smile on my face. Last time I felt that way was when Mad Men played Tomorrow Never Knows at the end of an episode that fit so perfectly too.

http://bigfun3.bandcamp.com

www.facebook.com/BigFunThree

True Blood has some great music in it.

2 of my friends have had songs on True Blood. One was a song playing on the jukebox at Merlotts, the other was in the vampire lounge place. Pretty cool.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Is this how you break bad music? (sorry about the annoying intro. Skip ahead if you wish).

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I am sorry.. I tried to follow this exchange.. which music are you referring to?

The use of "Baby Blue" by Badfinger, specifically.

Steinway L, 1958 Hammond B3, Kurzweil Forte, Prophet-6, Minimoog Voyager, Kawai VPC-1,Oberheim SEM-Pro, Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Rack

Loved the mood of that tune! So befitting of the slow unraveling chaos that was the genious behind Breaking Bad . Another flick that had an intresting theme tune was a series called The Killing. I only caught the first season cause it doesn't have the horsepower of Breaking Bad but its definetly wrote outside the box.
"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

Have you ever seen another tv series that had such amazing music in it?

There are lots of shows that have amazing song choices in them, however nothing compares in my mind to Bear McCreary's compositions for the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica. His music bridges Western and Eastern genres in interesting ways, and there are a few amazing piano pieces scattered throughout.

Of particular interest is his blog, in which he chronicles writing music for the show - how he used melodic motifs, chose instrumentation, and so forth. I enjoyed reading how he cleverly skirte the producers' "no symphonies, no themes" guidelines, which were abandoned once they realized McCreary was sneaking themes in everywhere, and they loved what they had heard already. (Seriously, that blog should be required reading in conservatory film scoring courses.)

Here's a gorgeous piece featured in the middle of the final season, entitled "Diaspora Oratorio":

[video:youtube]6UgXIf9jhF4

And, just for contrast, here's Bear working with his brother Brendan on an Eastern-meets-alt-rock reharm of "All Along the Watchtower":

[video:youtube]cUchAD44xA8

I really enjoyed the haunting music Jay Chattaway wrote for the Star Trek TNG episode "The Inner Light."

Here's the full orchestral version:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Archived