Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Kurzweil catharsis ?

Theo Verelst

I doubled a very little while about calling this short report "Playing the Kurzweil while eating a Moog", but that sucked.

Here's a neutral, unbalanced analog stereo out - to computer 24/192 in, recording of some of my latest experimental sounds, of which some work pretty good:

pc3n3moogqm1.mp3 44.1 kHz sample freq (prepared for optional up-sampling during playback), 15:24, stereo mp3, 256 kilo-bit/sec

No edits or extra effects, or even PC3 mater effects, no midi connection on the synth, no sequences, live played. No musical puns intended, except I quote a little "Skandal im Sperrbezirk" (80s, by Spider Murphy Gang) on the Wurlitzer, which I assure you doesn't sound like the ROM sounds, just like the rest.

To make credible this is just the PC3 and no tricks, I youtube-d the playing I did during the recording of the above mp3, with the monitoring sound recorded by the decent (but small-membrane) camera microphones:

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeSKk3a7POA

Half the time the loudness effect (mid-frequency range that sounds more similar than normal at various volumes) and the absence of many or most of the undesirable sound properties, I've kept complaining about, makes the sound bearable and musically relevant to me. So that's good.

Ir. Theo V.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, as a PC3 owner I find some of Theo's stuff interesting but yes it should be in one thread. This is similar to the requests to the mods to have a separate Kurz section after Sonikmatter closed down but the answer was there would be cries to have separate sections for all the big name keyboards so it was decided to keep everything here in the main forum.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

• 3 weeks later...

Thus far, there was considerable interest, so here's (without patch download, sorry) a new piano which, apart from much less pronounced stereo errors (which I measure with 30 band, 30 parallel jelly-fish meters), is almost great already. In this case I was testing it "live" through my studio processing (mid averaging, FFTed-low-mid and highs, tube spoiling effect correction, and mild eq), and thought some may find it interesting to hear:

pc3grpiastupr_q1.mp3 44.1 1min59 256kb/s

(no edits, only specified effects, no sequencing, live played through delay, digitally coupled PC3 high Q up-sampled to 192)

T.V.

Should that be epiphany, rather than catharsis? Because catharsis means a purging that gets it out of your system, which is too much to hope for. Epiphany means a sudden revelation..

just curious.

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Isn't the interweb great.... a Dutch and a Swede discussing subleties of the English language... until an Italian notices it.... :D :D

Btw the expriment is interesting.... but I find that while the Kurz piano sound has gained in coherency and compactness, it also has acquired a certain staticity, especially about the dynamic range. I'm not totally sure that I would prefer it in a recording.

I didn't make this sound especially for the studio processing chain I use (or more or less it's inverse) on many pro materials.

Usually, the PC3 has these bands and their response somewhat or completely respond in a decent way, but this sound (without the processing, which I didn't put in the mp3) borders on playing with all these effects, to make a big grand piano sound. Probably I let the woofers (2x12 inch and 15 inch sub) work when I play it, so I imagine the sound impression on small monitors to be far from desirable..

Hi Theo. I like this one and agree with Marino about the coherency. I can't comment on the dynamic range until/if I get a chance to try it myself, especially with a band. This is becoming one patch I hope you'll release some day.

Mark

"Think Pink Floyd are whiny old men? No Problem. Turn em off and enjoy the Miley Cyrus remix featuring Pitbull." - Cygnus64

Life is shorter than you think...make it count.

a new piano which, apart from much less pronounced stereo errors (which I measure with 30 band, 30 parallel jelly-fish meters), is almost great already. In this case I was testing it "live" through my studio processing (mid averaging, FFTed-low-mid and highs, tube spoiling effect correction, and mild eq)

Yes, but can you dance to it?

Archived