Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-350.. Just bought mine

EscapeRocks

Is it possible to update/upgrade the EPs on the PX-350?

I like everything about it as a digital 'acoustic' piano, and the convenience of built-in speakers, but I wouldn't/couldn't use any of the other sounds based on the demos I've heard.

My dilemma is that the PX-350 would be perfect for my daughter as a home piano, but the PX-5S would be perfect for myself (!) for its giggable EPs. I play organ only (Mojo for live stuff) so have no other EP sound sources that I could hook the 350 up to. I want to develop my own 'acoustic' piano playing on a weighted keyboard, but also find good EPs very artistically inspiring.

I have space and ampage at home to have the 5S set up, but equally, Mrs Stringbean would, I'm sure, appreciate the self-contained nature of the 350.

The current deals available to me in the UK put only around £80/$120 between the two models, so the choice is down to sound and form rather than cost.

Aargh - the tyranny of choice!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The current deals available to me in the UK put only around £80/$120 between the two models, so the choice is down to sound and form rather than cost.

Can I ask what price you can get the PX-5S for (and from where)? The price differential for me is nearer £300.

(apologies to all for OT post).

No. If you happen to have an iPad, I think iLectric Piano is pretty good, you can drive that. (Or of course lots of stuff on a laptop.)

I like everything about it as a digital 'acoustic' piano, and the convenience of built-in speakers, but I wouldn't/couldn't use any of the other sounds based on the demos I've heard.

Even for acoustic piano, I'd prefer the PX-5S, for its additional variations and ways the piano sound can be customized. If you're basing your decision on demos you've heard, you should try to play the PX350 before buying to make sure you like the way the piano plays "out of the box" (which is basically all you get on the PX350).

I play organ only (Mojo for live stuff) so have no other EP sound sources that I could hook the 350 up to.

The Mojo has a couple of EP sounds in it that can be assigned to one of the manuals, right? By putting another keyboard on the appropriate MIDI channel, you should be able to drive that sound from your weighted action. (All the switching could be awkward for live performance, though, if that's your intent.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Aargh - the tyranny of choice!

I am in the same dilemma as you I quite like the speakers on the 350 but know the piano sound is better on the px 5s!!!

Yes could you pm me the cheapest i have seen the PX=5S is £784 at dv247 but I have been offered the px350 for £529 with the stand and 3 pedals.

thanks

I thought the PX350 and the PX5 had the same piano.

They use the same samples, but much more can be done to them on the PX5S, allowing you to get a wider variety of piano sounds out of the same samples, via compression, EQ, and other adjustable parameters.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Hi,

From what I understand it it has 256 poly compared to 128 ploy on the px350 and it has String & Damper Resonance whereas the px350 only has Hammer and Damper resonance. It has the same piano sound as the PX850. That is how I understand it!! I might be wrong.

Oh, right, that too! More polyphony and the more sophisticated resonance implementation. Not sure the polyphony makes a real difference for piano playing alone, though.

Archived