Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-350.. Just bought mine

EscapeRocks

After much back and forth; debate with myself; looking at my needs and wants, I finally pulled the trigger, so to speak, on a new PX-350.

So I can now join those who get looked at funny by the unknowing when they see me playing a "genuine Casio"--(John Candy quote).

Anyway, as many of you know, my main board for awhile now has been an MOX8. It's a great board with great sounds.

However, while I can live with the keybed for piano playing, I always longed for a true piano feel.

The problem, for me, is that I was not willing to give up the Motif sounds, and I also had/have a very limited budget for new gear.

I also have been discovered to have some mild degenerative disc (not mild to me) issues. I am on treatment, but as I get older, lifting heavy gear is getting harder.

So, after spending some time at the local store the other day, I sauntered over to the PX350 to get reacquainted.

Just as when I first played it a while back, it instantly connected with me. Yes, totally subjective, but that's all that matters.

I considered the PX5s, but I have always, and still do, like the on board speakers that really, to me, make the 350 feel like I'm playing a real piano.

So today I bought one! It's funny to me, how I always seem to come back around to an initial desire when getting new gear.

Now don't get me wrong, I think the MOX8 (as well as the new MOXF8 I played with the other day) is a phenomenal board that gives me the needed/desired sounds with less weight and $$$$ than a Motif.

I just wanted to get back to a board which primary function is dp, feels like a piano, wouldn't break the bank, and wouldn't break my back.

I will be gigging with two 88 boards, and that's cool with me, I have the space, and each board is easy to lift.

They both fit just fine on my Sidewinder launcher (Ax90 stand) ;)

I've got a couple weeks till my next gig, so I'll be digging into the 350, and rearranging masters and performances on the MOX.

It may sound cliche' but having digital piano that feels like a piano, to me, makes my playing come alive.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations on your purchase.

I've been tooling around with getting a backup piano for my Electro, and the 350 had been one of the contenders. I like the APs on it, but the EPs, which I play a lot of, are not to my liking. I found myself in NYC today and stopped in the new Sam Ash to play it. As much as I like the feel and AP sounds (as well as the price), it's unfortunately off my list.

The PX-5s has stronger and more configurable tine EP capability IMHO, so it's still a contender.

Anyway, excellent purchase. Have fun with it!

Congrats on your purchase, David. :thu:

+1

Thanks Mike. Your demo videos played the major role in why I checked it out in the first place :thu:

Yeah, Casio are missing a trick here. Their advertising should come with a strap line reading. "Includes FREE Mike Martin!"

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Yeah, Casio are missing a trick here. Their advertising should come with a strap line reading. "Includes FREE Mike Martin!"

SSM

The sign says 1 hour, but answers usually come within minutes.. :)

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/106/293296712_b4e0d5701b_z.jpg

I will be gigging with two 88 boards, and that's cool with me, I have the space, and each board is easy to lift.

If you sell your MOX8, you could replace it with a MOX6 (or a MOXF6), have your travel weight reduced that much further, have both weighted and unweighted actions at your disposal. If you go for a used MOX6, it will even put you a bit ahead in $. Though if you can swing it, the XF version would be ideal.

And yeah, despite all the cool things about the PX-5S, I'm not convinced that the PX-350 isn't the better way to go, if you have another board that you can MIDI up to it that gives you the sounds you need. Speakers are nice, and the PX-350 has audio in, so even if you're driving the piano sound that's in your MOX, you can get it playing through the PX-350's speakers.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

And yeah, despite all the cool things about the PX-5S, I'm not convinced that the PX-350 isn't the better way to go, if you have another board that you can MIDI up to it that gives you the sounds you need. Speakers are nice, and the PX-350 has audio in, so even if you're driving the piano sound that's in your MOX, you can get it playing through the PX-350's speakers.

Even ignoring the synth engine on the PX-5S, you can do so much more with the EP sounds. Where you are locked into the basic sound of say the rhodes on the 350, on the PX you can use the hex layers to replace individual velocity layers in a certain section of the keyboard with different samples.

Some of the best PX EP sounds are done this way. And the midi control capability for external modules is pretty advanced.

Moe

---

Even ignoring the synth engine on the PX-5S, you can do so much more with the EP sounds. Where you are locked into the basic sound of say the rhodes on the 350, on the PX you can use the hex layers to replace individual velocity layers in a certain section of the keyboard with different samples.

Some of the best PX EP sounds are done this way. And the midi control capability for external modules is pretty advanced.

I understand... and that relates to the caveat in that quote of mine, "if you have another board that you can MIDI up to it that gives you the sounds you need." If your second board has EPs that you are perfectly happy with, then the fact that the PX-5S has better EPs than the PX-350 may not be relevant. (The MOX has some decent EPs, and the MOXF would have some very nice ones you can load into flash.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Fellow PX-350 owner here. I use it in my Genesis tribute act as a controller for my Kronos 61. Having the built-in speakers makes it a great practice board.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Anyway, as many of you know, my main board for awhile now has been an MOX8. It's a great board with great sounds.

However, while I can live with the keybed for piano playing, I always longed for a true piano feel.

Funny, I don't think the PX-350 has more of a "true piano feel" than the MOX8. Neither of them feel like the real thing to me.

David, since you've played the CP4, how would you compare it to the 350 in terms of "true piano feel"? I've played both and know which one I think is closer.

David, since you've played the CP4, how would you compare it to the 350 in terms of "true piano feel"? I've played both and know which one I think is closer.

The CP4 wins, I make no bones about that. My personal rank of the piano feel is :

CP4

PX350

MOX8

If I were comfortable with spending $2k on a board given some other responsibilities right now, I might have chosen the CP4. It's really nice.

However, it weighs about the same as my old CP33 which became cumbersome to me on gigs. While it's only about 7 lbs. lighter, lifting my MOX8 seems a breeze compared to lifting the CP4. I tried it at the store. Also, right now, I really like the speakers for reasons already stated.

Hell, if I had the $$ and back, I'd own a CP300 already.

As it is, I made a good deal on a new PX350, and it plays very nicely for me.

Again, I know it's totally subjective based on many factors: the PX350 feels a lot better to me for piano playing than my MOX8.

Now then, I need the MIDI spec for the donuts :wave:

David

I use it in my Genesis tribute act ...

Set list please sir, set list please.

Well that depends on the show. We're closing a 3-band show on December 10th with these songs:

Watcher of the Skies

Squonk

Dance on a Volcano

Home by the Sea I & II

Carpet Crawlers

Firth of Fifth

I Know What I Like

Afterglow

Turn it on Again

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Here's a couple pics of the two 88 note boards on the AX90 missile launcher. The spread of the bars gives me full access to the PX350 buttons and volume knob.

The pics don't really give a true sense of how close I am able to get the two boards.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/px3501_zps52d3421d.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/px3503_zpsc8695de4.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/px3504_zpse1d8ebec.jpg

David

Archived