Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to create a custom arpeggio on MOX8?

Miqqq1

So I am a keyboard player from years gone by. Been playing guitar for the last 15 years but have now formed a band where keyboard is necessary. I purchased a MOX8 this week and it is NOT intuitive to me at all so far as creating custom arpeggios. I simply wanted to recreate and store an arpeggio from The Who song Baba O'Riley...simple enough I thought....I cant figure this thing out. ANY help, advice or links to help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Have a great one!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know anything about arpeggiators, but I can tell you that Baba O'Reilly was played on a Lowery Berkshire TLO-1 (I think) organ, using the Marimba Repeat feature. This feature causes certain notes to be repeated on the first and third 1/16th notes of the beat, while other notes are repeated on the second and fourth 1/16th notes of the beat. This is you get the bliddle-iddle-eep sounds in there. Pete is playing something quite simple, maybe just quarter notes, I think 1-5-8-5 of the chord.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

The closest I have come myself is using the repeat feature on my DGX-620 and playing the off-notes 1/16th "late". This has the advantage of being able to sway in tempo 3-5bpm without being noticeable, so band-sync is very good, but the disadvantage that it loses the robotic accuracy which I think is a signature part of that sound.

I never tried using a sequencer for this. Presumably you could just data-enter the entire part into a computer and play it back with one, but that's just not my style.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Archived