Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Half-Rack Module ?

allan_evett

I currently cover the keyboard chair for a part-time, church gig. The rig that was initially supplied was a Yamaha CVP-103 - a basic Clavinova that covers piano and layered tones capably. Eventually the budget allowed for a 2nd tier keyboard - plus a small mixer and powered cabinet. The keyboard is a XW-P1, which has covered a variety of tones well.

One of my students will be joining us as a second keyboardist at the end of October; her band experience is rather limited, she's played for us previously a couple of times (using a borrowed keyboard) - covering mostly string lines, pads, and some layered synth parts.

As the church budget is somewhat limited, gear-wise, I plan to transfer the XW-P1 over to the second keyboardist, and bring in my Keylab 61 controller each week for 2nd tier duty in my rig. What we can afford is approx. $300 for a module to leave on-site. That way everything but the controller is in place and connected for the gig. Space-wise, a half-rack module would work best for this particular rig. Sounds needed would be a handful of tonewheel organ patches, solid electric bass and synth bass tones, and a good compliment of bread-n-butter ROMpler sounds.

I've noticed some of typical half-rack units on eBay: Korg NS5R, X5DR, plus the Roland JV / XV units. IIRC, there are also a couple of older, Yamaha MU 1/2 racks that turn up from time to time. From prior experience the Roland 1/2 racks and Yamaha MU's are not viable solutions for covering organ parts; clonewheel grade isn't necessary, but I'm trying to avoid 'cheesy'. Anyone here have experience with the Korg modules listed ? From having owned both and O1/W and Triton Ext., I suspect that the ROmpler organs in the NS5R and X5DR would do the job. Or perhaps there's a half-rack module or two out there that I might have missed.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks, Marc... I'll check that one out. Had thought a PC2R would be ideal, but the 19" width is something I'm trying to avoid. Perhaps the Micro Ensemble would cover what we need..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

Is there an SRX card that you could drop into an XV-2020 that would cover the gig? I had one that I used for nothing but the Symphonique Strings card.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I remember using two of the JV expansion cards - Orchestral, and 60's-70's keys - in an XP-30 about 10 years ago; different church gig, similar setup. IIRC, there were three or four tonewheel style organ Programs that were convincing enough for the gig; that could work in this instance. IIRC, the 60's - 70's keys are part of the Ultimate Keys SRX board. Plus there are lots of strong tones in the XV-2020. I have a slightly decrepit XV-5080 in my home studio rack; still sounds awesome, but doesn't get moved. I've 'operated' on it a couple of times, and the parts I need to make the front panel complete again are not available - from searches done so far.

IWhat we can afford is approx. $300 for a module to leave on-site.

Sounds needed would be a handful of tonewheel organ patches, solid electric bass and synth bass tones, and a good compliment of bread-n-butter ROMpler sounds.

I would consider an iPod Touch, MIDI interface, and some apps like Garageband and Sampletank.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The above is good advice. Laptops and tablets are the wave of the future for sound modules, especially if you could access them via a usb cable and eliminate the need for an interface.

If you could find a Roland JV-1010 with the 60's-70's expansion board installed, that would work. I still use mine. You can't have it. :)

IWhat we can afford is approx. $300 for a module to leave on-site.

Sounds needed would be a handful of tonewheel organ patches, solid electric bass and synth bass tones, and a good compliment of bread-n-butter ROMpler sounds.

I would consider an iPod Touch, MIDI interface, and some apps like Garageband and Sampletank.

The above is good advice. Laptops and tablets are the wave of the future for sound modules, especially if you could access them via a usb cable and eliminate the need for an interface.

If you could find a Roland JV-1010 with the 60's-70's expansion board installed, that would work. I still use mine. You can't have it. :)

The Laptop / iPad route, while attractive, is impractical in this case. This needs to be as much a plug-and-play situation as possibly; connecting in the one controller is plenty to do. I typically fly into practice at just about downbeat, due to my teaching / gigging schedule.

The Laptop / iPad route, while attractive, is impractical in this case. This needs to be as much a plug-and-play situation as possibly; connecting in the one controller is plenty to do. I typically fly into practice at just about downbeat, due to my teaching / gigging schedule.

Connecting half-rack module:

* MIDI cable from controller

* Audio cable out of module to amp/mixer

* wall-wart power connection

Connecting an iPad, if you arrive with it charged up

BTW, of course the iPad would be better than the Touch I suggested... more apps run on it, and there's a nice big control/display surface which can be handy. I only suggested the Touch so you can stay in your $300 budget, complete with the MIDI interface and software. If you can stretch to about $400 for everything, the iPad Mini would be great. (And these are all new prices... you can look at used ones too.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Connecting half-rack module:

* wall-wart power connection

Connecting an iPad, if you arrive with it charged up

BTW, of course the iPad would be better than the Touch I suggested... more apps run on it, and there's a nice big control/display surface which can be handy. I only suggested the Touch so you can stay in your $300 budget, complete with the MIDI interface and software. If you can stretch to about $400 for everything, the iPad Mini would be great. (And these are all new prices... you can look at used ones too.)

That would make sense - if I planned to set the keyboard and module from 'scratch' each time. But the idea is to have the module in place - AC and mixer leads connected, Midi In cabled up - then simply connect the controller when I arrive. Some weeks I would leave the controller on-site - if it wasn't needed elsewhere. But I wouldn't leave my iPad in-place between rehearsal and performance. So that nixes the iPad-as-module idea.

Allan,

Check out the Roland Sound Canvas, SC-88. It will fit your budget nicely as you can get it for less than $200 and it's very compact. I still have one and use it on occasion.

Good basses (synth and electric) good EP's, pretty good strings. Organ is just OK and probably the weakness. Otherwise should be a good option. Here's a youtube demo.

Greg

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Scott, the half-rack module would be left in place. Of course, an iPad could as well -- perhaps. It would be a more attractive target for sticky fingers, if that's an issue.

True... Even in northern Colorado an iPad can only stay put for so long. ;)

Hey Allen,

I've got a JV-1010 and a X5DR. Neither one of them have been used in a couple years, so I probably don't really need either one. I can send them to you and you can check them out if you like. I'll sell you which ever one you want for what ever price you want if it works for you, or you can send them back if they don't work out.

I know it is full rack size, but the Kurzweil PC2 module still is very attractive for the quality and variation of sounds. My church gig I use two keyboards normally, a PC361 and PC2. While the KB3 Hammond is better on the PC361, for some purposes the PC2 KB3 sounds still work well (especially if I stay on slow Leslie).

I don't know how much they are selling for now. My PC2 did have both extra modules, I sold the Classic Keys one (since the PC361 had most of the sounds), but the Orchestrals aver very good.

The ME1 module would fit better size wise, it has the core PC2 sounds, but no Orchestral, Classic Keys, nor KB3. It probably can be found at a lower price.

An older notebook computer running VB3 and some of the other low power requirement soft synths might also be an alternative. I did use a older Compaq notebook with a 1Ghz Pentium 3 - worked fine, but I wanted easier ability to tweak the sound while playing.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Scott, the half-rack module would be left in place. Of course, an iPad could as well -- perhaps. It would be a more attractive target for sticky fingers, if that's an issue.

Yup. I had flipped the scenario as to what was staying put and what was moving. You're right, I'd be much more inclined to leave a sound module on site than an iPad. Even in a church!

If it's strictly B3, how about a Voce V5 (if you can find one). You'll still need an external Leslie sim, though.

Otherwise I'd say maybe a used Korg O5R/W? It's old, but I had one for a bit and it had some beefy tones in it.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

For just organ sounds, maybe a VOCE microBII. You might need at least an RT20 for a leslie though.

Eww. ;)

Not any worse than a casio.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't play organ on a Casio either. Most of my dislike is aimed at the RT-20, which I once tried and which sounded a lot more like a Rotovibe than a leslie.

Moe

---

I also have both the Korg NS5R and X5DR sitting my rack. If the other offers don't pan out I could hook you up with one of these to try out as well. Although it will be the weekend before I can get to it.

I also have the Voce V5 with draw bars but that is a full size rack. I also have a Yamaha EX5R that I am looking to get rid of, but then again it is a full size rack.

You are welcome to try any of them out...

PM me if interested and I will give you my cell number to chat.

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Archived