Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slightly OT: Played a Theremin Today

Synthoid

Well, let's just say I attempted to play a Theremin--that's more accurate. Some of you may recall my post awhile back about a local high school marching band using a Theremin in their Star Trek themed half-time shows. I gave the school a call and set up an appointment with the band director to check out the Theremin.

The unit the school purchased is a base model with only one antenna for pitch, so there's no volume control. It was set up in a soundproof practice room... I quickly found out why. :laugh:

Anyway, after giving me a quick demo, the band director went back to his office after shutting the practice room door so I wouldn't disturb anyone. It took me awhile, but I was able to coax a very basic melody out of it. It's definitely an instrument that requires a lot of practice (and patience). I doubt I'd buy one, but it was an interesting experience.

Anyone else here on the forum played one?

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played one once, perhaps as well as you did. :)

Not having a means of controlling volume seems like a handicap, particularly if you haven't mastered hand position versus pitch. There's nothing quite like hunting around for a note while at full volume...

Anyone who would like to see/hear one played well should Google "Clara Rockmore".

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

There's a reason why there aren't theremin virtuosos on every corner. I've had an Etherwave for 10 years and still can't play the damn thing.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Not having a means of controlling volume seems like a handicap, particularly if you haven't mastered hand position versus pitch. There's nothing quite like hunting around for a note while at full volume.

Well, the unit I played was plugged into a floor amp set at a low volume. Plus, the sound-proof room helped a lot. :laugh:

There's a reason why there aren't theremin virtuosos on every corner. I've had an Etherwave for 10 years and still can't play the damn thing.

But who would want to hear it?

I've heard it used in the Star Trek theme (original), along with Good Vibrations and a few horror movies.

What else is it good for?

Theremins are the reason why cats and/or dogs urinate on keyboards.

I'm certain of this. :rolleyes:

:laugh:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I've heard it used in the Star Trek theme (original)

Actually, that was a women's voice... someone else told me that as well. I just found this quote online:

"The melody of the theme of Star Trek: The Original Series was actually never played on a theremin. A soprano singer emulated its signature sound."

I've heard it used in the Star Trek theme (original)

Actually, that was a women's voice... someone else told me that as well. I just found this quote online:

"The melody of the theme of Star Trek: The Original Series was actually never played on a theremin. A soprano singer emulated its signature sound."

Hmmmmmm...

OK.

I've heard it used with Good Vibrations and a few horror movies.

:laugh:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Theremin wasn't used on Good Vibrations either:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2013/02/07/171385175/no-it-wasn-t-a-theremin-on-good-vibrations-remembering-paul-tanner

It was Paul Tanners instrument....this was also heard in "My Favorite Martian"

Hmmmmmm...

OK.

I've heard it used in a few horror movies.

Oh, forget it! :laugh:

Sorry to keep after y'all about this, but it's really kind of cool. If you're a synth person, you're a theremin person.

Yes, that's true--it was fun to try it. But like I said before, I'm not planning on buying a Theremin in the near future.

Can someone tell me how to embed a video? Nothing seems to work. Oy!

This might work, but replace the "x" with a "v" in two places:

[xideo:youtube]

[/xideo]

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

Archived