Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Midi issue with SK2 or Burn. I'm not sure which?

kwyn

I put this in the Burn thread, but now I'm thinking it could be an SK2 issue.

My fast/slow button on the SK2 doesn't seem to be sending the right midi messages (if any) to my Burn.

I set the burn up to the SK2 midi setting. however when I push any buttons on the sk2, the Burn does not respond at all.

I have the midi cable running from Midi Out on the SK2 to the midi in on the Burn.

Any ideas?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- MIDI cable checked ?

- Does your SK2 send anything ? (Record midi-file in a sequencer or midi checker and check the messages)

- MIDI channels checked ?

- Mail to GSi ?

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Have you checked which Leslie MIDI setting (Pg. 114 #5) the SK-2 is set to? Also, make sure NRPN send (#4) is on. The SK-2 may be sending data in the manner the 2101 responds to that sets all of its parameters. Changing that to SK may have it send just basic speed control using other CCs. Although it may be using NRPN messages and data.

I don't know anything about the Burn or its MIDI capabilities, but I doubt it is Hammond's fault that it didn't anticipate the needs of some other product that didn't exist 2 years ago.

Have you checked which Leslie MIDI setting (Pg. 114 #5) the SK-2 is set to? Also, make sure NRPN send (#4) is on. The SK-2 may be sending data in the manner the 2101 responds to that sets all of its parameters. Changing that to SK may have it send just basic speed control using other CCs. Although it may be using NRPN messages and data.

I don't know anything about the Burn or its MIDI capabilities, but I doubt it is Hammond's fault that it didn't anticipate the needs of some other product that didn't exist 2 years ago.

I don't think that this is anyone's "fault" gee you're sensitive JMcS ;-) However, either the Burn is expecting the wrong CC info, or it isn't getting the correct CC info.. This could be due to bad cable, incorrect xmit/receive midi channels, or the default Midi settings on the SK2 have been changed so it's not transmitting something that the Burn expects, or the SK template that's built into the Burn is wrong. JMcS has some good suggestions here.. IF that doesn't work, send an email to Info@Crumar.it as I've suggested in the Burn thread.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Suggesting there might be an issue seems to imply (at least it did to me) that the original post contended the issue might be with the SK-2 doing something wrong.

Be careful Craig, if you cheerlead much louder Scott May is going to write in and suggest you turn it down. ;):laugh:

Be careful Craig, if you cheerlead much louder Scott May is going to write in and suggest you turn it down. ;):laugh:

Now don't you start picking on me... Just remember that I'm a "Free Agent", I don't work for anyone, so I can cheerleader for whoever I happen to think has a great product! Btw, have we ever established what your connection is with Hammond Suzuki. To have such expertise and insight into the HS product line, you must have some connection there..?

If not, kudos to you for your accumulated knowledge and expertise and all the help you provide to the HS products, you should be on the payroll!

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Okay.

Problem solved:

Got this email:

Ok, news update: another SK user has already sent me the MIDI log forthe speed switches and it turns out that the SK actually sends CC NRPNmessages, not sysex messages, so the BURN template is incorrect.I'm very sorry for this inconvenience. I promise this will be fixedlightning fast, so expect a new firmware release in a few days.Thanks,Guido.

I believe the XK-3c sends the same information the SK's send. They have the same menu options. The XK-3 doesn't have Leslie MIDI info parameters although NRPN send can be turned on/off. Someone might let Crumar know so they can fix both in the next update.

No connection at all, just a satisfied customer. Although I am open to opportunities.

A "Free Agent" too then.. Good for you and as I said kudos for all your assistance! HS really should hire you, or at least send you some free stuff!!

Craig MacDonald

Archived