Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Suggestions for Wedding Songs

MuzikTeechur

I'm playing a wedding in a few weeks. I've played lots of them, so no worries, however the music is stumping me.

The bride does not want ANY "schmaltzy" traditional music, and has chosen to enter to "All I Want is You" by U2 played on solo piano (!)

She wants light jazz for prelude music. She doesn't know what she wants for music for the wedding party to enter (before she enters to the U2 tune), and she doesn't know what she wants for recessional music (after the ceremony).

She's looking for suggestions, but given her list of demands, I'm not sure what to suggest at all!

Anyone have any suggestions? Looking for processional music for the bridesmaids, and recessional music for everyone, bearing in mind "no schmaltz", and she chose a U2 tune for her own music.

Oh, and I'll need keyboard tab for all of it. (just kidding)

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Bridesmaids aren't married, play an upbeat version of "Someday My Prince Will Come" as they walk in.

For the recessional piece, as the bride and groom walk out, go with "Yesterday". ("Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away, now it looks as if they're here to stay...")

On a more serious note though, do you know them? What kind of couple are they? What's the groom like? What about a solo piano version of one of his favourite songs?

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

If the Bridesmaids aren't married, play an upbeat version of "Someday My Prince Will Come" as they walk in.

For the recessional piece, as the bride and groom walk out, go with "Yesterday". ("Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away, now it looks as if they're here to stay...")

On a more serious note though, do you know them? What kind of couple are they? What's the groom like? What about a solo piano version of one of his favourite songs?

I don't know them at all, and we're really trying to avoid having to learn more songs at their request - we usually allow 3-4 between wedding and reception, but they're past their limit now. I understand I may have to learn something else for the processional/recessional, but it will be my choice.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I don't know them at all, and we're really trying to avoid having to learn more songs at their request - we usually allow 3-4 between wedding and reception, but they're past their limit now. I understand I may have to learn something else for the processional/recessional, but it will be my choice.

Hrmm. It's both a blessing and a curse that they're letting you choose. I was going to suggest Beautiful day too, but two U2 songs at my wedding would ruin my day!

One that has proved to work and be very popular in the past has been "Everything" by Michael Buble. That one can be quite fun on solo piano too.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

+1 to Buble's "Everything" - I've played that at several weddings, as well as a televised proposal that was on the Today Show.

Another that made the rounds this year on my wedding plate was "Marry Me" by Train. But that requires a singer.

Some random suggestions:

"I Loves You Porgy" is a beautiful melody, and of course just don't sing the lyrics.

Bach's Arioso is a beautiful melody as well, don't know if classical is altogether nixed by the bride, but it's an atypical wedding choice in my circles at least. Air on the G String might be an option as well perhaps?

My One and Only Love?

The Beatles' "In My Life"?

Elton's "Come Down in Time"?

Maneater by Hall and Oates? Cry for Love by Iggy Pop? The Ballad of Jenny Ledge by Toy Matinee?

"Can't Take My Eyes Off You" works really well at weddings I've played. It's difficult to do wedding music without some schmaltz especially if older people are attending.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Sounds like a wedding ceremony I played a few weeks ago. Bride wanted Christina Perri's "A Thousand Years" for the processional. Luckily I found a solo piano version online that sounded pretty good. She also suggested Alice In Chain's "Nutshell" for the recessional which I shot down because it sounds like a funeral dirge!(couldn't find solo piano music anyway) I ended up playing Trumpet Voluntary or The Wedding March for the recessional so some traditional music won out after all.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Just to make a sober statement here ( with all the fun and games here ) "The Days of Wine and Roses" ! Chain of Fools. Maneater. "American Woman" as well. Les McCann's Compared To What for recessional or whatever feels right. Macarena for processional. Me and Mrs Jones a classic. "Something Stupid" in a medley with 9 to 5 and These Boots are Made for Walkin. Top it off with Release Me You Keep me hangin on.. Shake your booty.. It's a man's world. if these songs are not quite right- long in the tooth, cheesy, passe, I would be glad to offer more for you ;-)

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm playing some light classical as the bridesmaids enter, All I Want is You (U2) for the bride, and "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" for the recessional.

Weird. Good thing I'm getting a lot of coin for this.

Archived