Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Calling Mojo owners......

Keyboard-girl

I was looking for help on another thread, and Joe Muscara advised me to start a new one, so here goes....

My other half wants a Mojo, I will be happy with this as long as I can get a Deep Purple sound out of it, similar to "Lazy"

Joegerardi has educated me about overdriven Marshall amps, but we have very little space (and once the Mojo is paid for, not a huge amount of money!)

I wondered if any Mojo owners on here have managed to get the tone I want, and if so, what sort of amp/speakers they are using.

We have a pair of Tannoy active speakers, and I wondered if they would be enough, or if I could buy a small modelling amp (Fender Mustang/Vox VT sort of size), with an A/B switch to move between the amp for organ, and the Tannoys for A/P and strings coming from another board married up to the Mojo via a mixer.

Would some sort of pre-amp help? I'm hoping that you will all write back, and say that you just play the mojo through a set of nearfield monitors, and people outside think that the reports of Jon Lord's sad demise were greatly exaggerated, but I don't think I'm going to be that lucky.

This is just for home use, so I don't have to cut through a band, but I do like my music fairly loud!

Thanks for any help or advice, Keyboard-girl

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my experience, digital emulations are better at the more subtle leslie overdrive than the over the top Marshall distortion of Jon Lord.

I have a Mojo and it can get really distorted, but it's kind of fizzy compared to what I can get with an AMA.

Here's what the AMA sounds like on stun with a Nord Stage:

http://hotrodmotm.com/sounds/roadbox/rb_ama_05_spacetruckin.wav

Moe

---

KG,

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the GSI Burn to you, as its made by the same guys who make your mojo.. Check out the other thread about the burn, and crumars website for demos. I have just got mine and I ordered it specifically to get that sound, or as close to it as I can. The burn is a Leslie sim and an amp sim, and a multi-effects pedal. It also has a ring modulator built in, which was another effect commonly used by Jon Lord.

Check it out, I don't think you'll need much more than this.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

KG,

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the GSI Burn to you, as its made by the same guys who make your mojo.. Check out the other thread about the burn, and crumars website for demos. I have just got mine and I ordered it specifically to get that sound, or as close to it as I can. The burn is a Leslie sim and an amp sim, and a multi-effects pedal. It also has a ring modulator built in, which was another effect commonly used by Jon Lord.

Hi Craig.

Someone did mention it on another thread. I have been following the Burn thread closely, and respected members seem split on whether that or the Vent is better, especially when it comes to the overdrive. (I'm talking mainly about yourself, Jim Alfredson, and Hammonddave.

Anyway, I have to stop shilly-shallying, and come to a decision. Just two questions.

1. I assume that you DO own a Mojo?

2. Are you happy with the Deep Purple sound that you get from the Mojo + Burn?

If so, I will happily take your word for it, and place the order.

Many thanks, KG

an example with the Hamichord (same Mojo sound generator):

(the amp guitar is a simulation given by a ZOOM pedal, here is really at low volume in the mix)

the problem here is that the signal for guitar amp is taken from the headphone exit, so it has the leslie simulation "included".

the best thing to do should be:

exclude the internal leslie simulation and use the "pure" generator signal.

one channel goes into the new BURN with a warm (real tube) saturation for leslie (or, a REAL leslie! ;) )

one channel into the guitar amp simulator (or a real guitar amp).

than mix the two signals in parallel if you want to recreate the Jon Lord (or Don Airey) sound. (Or, ONE of the Jon Lord sounds during the years).

you will hear the static distorted sound from the guitar amp and the rotating sound from leslie.

ciao

Marco

Well, I wasn't trying to spend your lolly! I was actually thinking of throwing an effects pedal between your instrument and monitors. Something like the Digitech RP70, which is about 50 quid, or maybe a used RP50, which I looked up on eBay UK, and they're all under 20 quid. I have the SP50 for my violin when I used to mic it for some weird sounds, (which I don't ever do any more) and - though one thing I would NEVER be is a guitarist - I thought it sounded pretty good. It has amp models built in, Marshall, Fender, Britich Combo, and the like, and might work.

I appreciate that you like the overdriven Lord-style sound, but after playing a clonewheel for a while, there's a place for the crunchy Emerson sound, the slightly overdriven melodic sound of Rick Wright, et al, so don't put all your eggs in one basket: Hammond sound has survived so long because of its amazing range of sounds.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

KG,

Hi Craig.

Someone did mention it on another thread. I have been following the Burn thread closely, and respected members seem split on whether that or the Vent is better, especially when it comes to the overdrive. (I'm talking mainly about yourself, Jim Alfredson, and Hammonddave.

Anyway, I have to stop shilly-shallying, and come to a decision. Just two questions.

1. I assume that you DO own a Mojo?

2. Are you happy with the Deep Purple sound that you get from the Mojo + Burn?

If so, I will happily take your word for it, and place the order.

Many thanks, KG

KG,

Sorry for the slow response, I didn't subscribe to this thread so I missed your question until now..

YES, I do own a Mojo and I now have the Burn in my hot little hands... with all do respect, neither HammondDave or Jim Alfredson has either a Mojo or a Burn so.. who may I ask is the expert here, now, today, at this precise moment in space time.. you guessed it.. MOI as Miss Piggy and my country mates from Quebec would say..

Seriously, I'm just hooking my Mojo up to my Burn right now and I'm comparing the basic "mighty Jon" preset built into the Burn to the space trucking that clip Mate_stubb provided (which is an excellent example) and it's almost identical! I haven't got my Burn hooked up to my computer yet to record, otherwise I would provide a clip.. If you're not in a hurry I can try to post a clip for you later today...?

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the Burn does a better job of the Jon Lord sound than the Ventilator.. The Ventilator's sound is a beautiful and accurate representation of a 122 leslie, and that's NOT what Jon Lord used to create the most of his signature sounds, most often it was amp, and other effects like ring modulators etc.. none of that capability is built into the Ventilator, and all of it is built into the Burn.

EDIT: double checked with crumar/GSI and the Burn pedals are still available at the regular price!

Definitely go with a Burn, I am pretty sure you will be very happy with it!! I am so far!

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

KG, just to reiterate there is no question that the Burn does a better job of recreating Jon Lords signature sound, it does, and there is no doubt about that.. The question that seems to be up in the air right now is whether or not the Burn does a better job of creating a 122 leslie sound.. again that's not the sound of Jon Lord!!

Craig MacDonald

If you want the Jon Lord sound, the leslie sim should be disabled completely, and overdrive applied to the straight sound.

Jon not always used this configuration, all over the years.

that was one period, but the most typical sound was obteined with a leslie and a guitar amp in parallel.

see this video for example (this is Airey, but the philosophy is the same):

there is an expression pedal before the guitar amp, and he balance the volume with leslie as needed during the concert (see for example in this video at 0':07'').

:wave:

Unfortunately the Burn's are all sold out (they sold the first 100 units in 70 hours!)..

I don't think they are sold out. They are sold out of the first 100 that were offered at a special price. AFAIK, they are perfectly available to be ordered at regular price.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Unfortunately the Burn's are all sold out (they sold the first 100 units in 70 hours!)..

I don't think they are sold out. They are sold out of the first 100 that were offered at a special price. AFAIK, they are perfectly available to be ordered at regular price.

AnotherScott, my mistake you are right they are still available. Thanks for pointing his out!

Craig MacDonald

]

YES, I do own a Mojo and I now have the Burn in my hot little hands... with all do respect, neither HammondDave or Jim Alfredson has either a Mojo or a Burn so.. who may I ask is the expert here, now, today, at this precise moment in space time.. you guessed it.. MOI as Miss Piggy and my country mates from Quebec

The modesty is underwhelming!!! :whistle:

I haven't got my Burn hooked up to my computer yet to record, otherwise I would provide a clip.. If you're not in a hurry I can try to post a clip for you later today...?

That would be brilliant Craig, thank you so much.

KG

KG, I sent you a PM, I have an MP3 example of the "mighty Jon" preset from the Burn if want to hear it.. it's pretty close to the clip that was referenced earlier. Contact me off-line and I'll send it to you.

Craig MacDonald

In my experience, digital emulations are better at the more subtle leslie overdrive than the over the top Marshall distortion of Jon Lord.

I have a Mojo and it can get really distorted, but it's kind of fizzy compared to what I can get with an AMA.

Here's what the AMA sounds like on stun with a Nord Stage:

http://hotrodmotm.com/sounds/roadbox/rb_ama_05_spacetruckin.wav

Tell ´em the truth ...

No software replaces a great piece of hardware,- never !

A.C.

see this video for example (this is Airey, but the philosophy is the same):

there is an expression pedal before the guitar amp, and he balance the volume with leslie as needed during the concert (see for example in this video at 0':07'').

:wave:

It´s a bit outdated, but you´re correct.

AFAIK, he´s able to route the MOOG Voyager and/or the Hammond to that amp and cab.

All simple w/ A/B switches and volume pedals in between.

I think, Deep Purple is THE example of a loud rock band today which works like they did in the past wherever possible.

I´ve just seen a complete show from Amsterdam 2012,- there isn´t any in-ear monitoring p.ex.,- it´s all backline and monitor/wedges based.

No need to hide 2 Leslies off-stage or make walls of guitar amps/speakers or the bass rig just dummies.

They have all they need on stage and the FOH guys HAVE to deal w/ that,- not the opposite.

Since some, if not many, years, it started the technicians set the terms which is totally wrong and has to be changed.

Don´t adapt to what others want, they are only LAZY!

Think about they have no jobs when you don´t play,- which is the truth when musicians show solidarity (which I miss sadly).

A.C.

KG, here is the clip..

To my ear this is pretty close to the sound that was posted earlier.. Hope this helps! It's the "Mighty Jon" preset.. with no tweaking.. so there is lots of room to further tweak it if it's not exactly the sound you want (if it was my I'd take a bit of the high end off it, it sounds a bit harsh).

Craig MacDonald

KG, here is the clip..

To my ear this is pretty close to the sound that was posted earlier.. Hope this helps! It's the "Mighty Jon" preset.. with no tweaking.. so there is lots of room to further tweak it if it's not exactly the sound you want (if it was my I'd take a bit of the high end off it, it sounds a bit harsh).

Craig, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something here. Does the BURN clean up when the expression pedal is backed off like the real deal? I still hear quite a bit of grit there with your demo at points where I think you are trying to show it. May just be in my head. Lots of strange things there in my latter years! :laugh:

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

OK, just ordered Mojo, long throw & control pedals, and Burn :cool::)

I'm a happy bunny, but I'm sure my bank manager won't be!

Banks don't care. Just throw more money at them! I'm sure you will be one happy camper when you get the equipment you ordered.

John Cassetty

KG, here is the clip..

Craig, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something here. Does the BURN clean up when the expression pedal is backed off like the real deal? I still hear quite a bit of grit there with your demo at points where I think you are trying to show it. May just be in my head. Lots of strange things there in my latter years! :laugh:

John, yes, you can back off the expression pedal and eliminate the overdriven effect. In this example the OD does kick in pretty quickly though so you once you're at 25% of the expression pedal travel you're starting to get into jon lord territory.. that said, I expect that you can map a controller (mod wheel for example) to control the OD.. so you can have the natural increase with the expression pedal OD as well as a manual control although I haven't tried this myself I just dialed up this preset.

Craig MacDonald

KG, here is the clip..

John, yes, you can back off the expression pedal and eliminate the overdriven effect. In this example the OD does kick in pretty quickly though so you once you're at 25% of the expression pedal travel you're starting to get into jon lord territory.. that said, I expect that you can map a controller (mod wheel for example) to control the OD.. so you can have the natural increase with the expression pedal OD as well as a manual control although I haven't tried this myself I just dialed up this preset.

Thanks Craig. I think that would be fairly accurate as to where the OD would come in on the real thing giving the settings that Sir Jon actually had. I'm not 100% convinced that the BURN, for the songs I do in my classic rock band, will be that much better than the Vent and I really can't justify spending the money to do a comparison. The demos of the BURN are great and again, it would probably do what I need it to do for the setup I have if I needed it since the Vent (albeit the mini vent is out) is no longer available.

John Cassetty

Archived