Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steve Hackett Tour

Eric Jx

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steve Hackett is doing a "Genesis Revisited" tour. I'm wondering if any of the forumites have seen it. Any good?

Saw it on last year's prog cruise, great show.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

He's stealing our thunder - love his music and I think he should stick to that rather than treading on the toes of the tribs
Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

He's stealing our thunder - love his music and I think he should stick to that rather than treading on the toes of the tribs

I'm guessing that wasn't a big consideration in deciding to revisit the music he recorded with the band that made him famous. :)

On a related note, I've have the 2nd Genesis Revisited release, have heard the first one when it was originally released, and have seen him several times back in the day. I think Genesis Revisited II really is a solid work, very polished and mature. Love what he did with Can Utility and the Coastliners.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO0RbULnBV8

Nope - I guess the issue is I don't like anyone buggering about with the original arrangements.

I like Genesis Revisited 1 as a one-off but 2 takes the whole thing too far for me - and I really don't like the "new age prog" singers he uses................

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Since it's his music (in that he was a major component in bringing it to life), I say he can do whatever he wants with it. There will always be those who want to hear faithful recreations of it. I don't see why it has to be an either/or proposition.

He just played in Detroit and I'm in LA so I didn't get a chance to see the show. Bummer.

Since it's his music (in that he was a major component in bringing it to life), I say he can do whatever he wants with it. There will always be those who want to hear faithful recreations of it. I don't see why it has to be an either/or proposition.

He just played in Detroit and I'm in LA so I didn't get a chance to see the show. Bummer.

Goes without saying Jim.

I just think he has a lot more to offer.

By the same token I didn't like many regurgitations of The Beatles songs by Joe Cocker or Tina Turner, or of Sting tracks by one rapper or another, I acccept I'm a stick in the mud. :cool:

GTR...man...we actually covered When the Heart Rules the Mind in the late 80s....

As someone who did a bit of pro mixing (jingle studio but hey!) and still like dabbling, that may be the worst-mixed "big" album I've ever heard. Production being subjective obviously. It sounded like someone took Steve Howe's guitar tone and applied it to every track.

My favorite track (takes a bit to kick in) :

[video:youtube]kiAINoSM9Qs

From Wikipedia:

Some claimed the album contained substandard filler material beyond the two singles, and there was some criticism directed at Max Bacon's strident tenor. J.D. Considine's infamous review of the album (in Musician magazine) read simply, "SHT". (Considine later said it was the most famous thing he'd ever written in his three decades as a critic, while Hackett claimed the review actually helped sales of the album.)

From Wikipedia:

Some claimed the album contained substandard filler material beyond the two singles, and there was some criticism directed at Max Bacon's strident tenor. J.D. Considine's infamous review of the album (in Musician magazine) read simply, "SHT". (Considine later said it was the most famous thing he'd ever written in his three decades as a critic, while Hackett claimed the review actually helped sales of the album.)

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szRTDfSDhME

The SHT review still lives in my mind as the funniest review ever.

Dont love the ABWH album, but some of it plays better now than it did then.

Yes UNION album is a real SHT sandwich, but there are moments on there too if you can get to them. Rick Wakemans review of that album? Onion. Because every time I hear it I want to cry.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Be nice to see Steve live. Been getting into Gabriel era Genesis lately. Some gold in there.

As for Yes, I remember hearing the ABWH album and Union and they were hard to take. Odd moments of good stuff... Didn't Wakeman throw his copies out of a hotel room and or limo about 5 minutes in?

Those albums did make me dig back though to see what all the fuss is about and Fragile is still one of my faves. Still I think if we're honest, Yes were over after Close to the Edge...

Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

Archived