Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

personal recorders

mate stubb

When was the last time we had a personal recorders thread? The context would be to slap something simple down to record rehearsals, with built in mics but the capability of plugging a mixer in when better sound is desired.

What's available these days? Anything decent for around $100?

Moe

---

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought one of these a few years ago:

http://www.panoramaaudiovisual.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/yamaha_pocketrat_mano-224x300.jpg

It's a Yamaha Pocketrak CX, and at the time Guitar Center was blowing it out for less than $100. I think the current model is the PR7, which Sweetwater is pricing at $149. The recordings are decent, very usable for rehearsals.

But frankly, all that "field recording" stuff I now do with my phone, and it loads into iTunes when I sync. On those rare occasions I've wanted to record off a mixer, I used my UltraLite and blown the tracks into Logic.

I have a Roland R07. Pretty nice unit though I do think the ability to plug in some condensers (such as my AKG pencil mics) would be nice to record stuff at a better quality... maybe a drain on power though...

The battery life on the R07 is pretty good otherwise. I have used it for recording my own stuff and also gigs around Oslo... got some nice shows just for my own private use. :)

My zoom h2 has been great. I bought it for band rehearsal recording, but it's ended up being my mic/interface for recording vocals since I don't have a preamp on my mixer. The mics on this thing are surprisingly good.

I have the Zoom Q3hd. It works great. But frankly, my minidisc recorder worked better for audio. The Zoom: insanely short battery life (and it does not have an internal rechargeable battery) requires that you supply AC to it. Kind of inconvenient.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I have the Tascam DR40, which has pretty much all the features of the Zoom H4N but is less expensive.

It can record 4 channels at once, two built-in mics plus two XLR or 1/4" -- very nice for recording both stage and from PA.

Alternately, you can record two tracks normally and two tracks the same but 12 dB lower (adjustable amount). That way you don't have to leave as much headroom as usual, and if it clips, you have the quieter tracks as a backup.

The sound is indistinguishable from the Zoom -- they all use the same capsules, which are the kind used for calibration mics or SPL meters (flat, but not particularly good at transients, clarity, etc.)

Battery life is great, and you can use rechargeables (AA). Handles SD card up to 32GB.

One thing it should have but doesn't is SPL meter.

I've had a Zoom H2 for a long time. Excellent built-in mics, battery life is fine, great for recording rehearsals, lectures, etc. Got decent results using mine as an audio interface as well.

Liked it so much that I bought a R24 which I love AND have been using as my audio interface for a couple of years now. Getting ready to switch over this week to a Steinberg UR22, but more to do with getting a new PC and recent upgrade to Cubase 7. I want solid drivers and compatibility. This switch has nothing to do with the R24's capabilities as an AI. I still plan to keep it in the chain and armed to record should inspiration strike.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Just got back from rehearsal and am listening to playback with some phones. It sounds pretty amazing. I just plopped it on a chair in the middle of everybody. Aside from wanting a little more kick drum, I can hear everything great.

I love this little thing!

Moe

---

The zoom H4 won't record 4 channels at once. The H4N will.

Back in the days of cassettes, we used to record one channel off the PA and one from a mic near the stage. It was a good way to find out what FOH was doing and what the band was doing. The surprising bit is how nice the recordings sounded on a typical home stereo, just set the balance right and the room is filled with a remarkably interesting image.

Not good enough to release, of course, and sounds like crap in headphones. For headphones, a mid-side encoder would do in a pinch, but again, it's not what you'd want anyone but the band and close friends to hear.

These little recorders are great. I bought a Roland R-05 last year. Simpler than the Zooms mentioned here, but pretty well thought out and built and not much bigger than a phone so can discreetly record in the field. Gets some quite good recordings are rehearsals too. I got a tripod and a mic stand mount for it. Worth the money.
Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

Archived