Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Affordable 12" full range

tdintbl

I want to remove the 8" driver from a harvested Leslie 10 and install a 12"full range. Since it -is- a Leslie I'm not too concerned about ultimate fidelity.

The question then is: how cheap can I go before I get into speakers just not up to the task? I don't necessarily mean dollars, for I scrounge well, but I do mean how cheap of a brand and line name?

www.facebook.com/thelongblackveils Rock and Roll from Central California. Second album underway.

Hammond organs are my drug. Until I beg borrow or steal a Mellotron that is.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put a pair of Celestion 1225s in my Behringer cabinets about 5 years ago and have been really pleased with the performance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Celestion-Truvox-1225-12-250W-Raw-Frame-Speaker-/360730684286

Duane

Korg PA4x76 arranger, 1976 Yamaha CP-70 electric piano, MidiPlus X6 MIDI USB controller, Turbosound ip500 Tower Speaker System

I play a Numa organ through an EV Force 12'' speaker quite frequently with nothing else- no tweeter or anything.

It puts out an ample amount of bass, and catches all the highs I need it to.

The cabinet I use is well designed for it. I wish I had a pair of these.

Look at the specs, if the speaker has good response up to 6K it will work fine for organ.

If you want it for guitar, you should think about using a good quality guitar speaker, for they really make a difference. A friend has a Leslie 25 with, I think, a Celestion Gold; it sounds fantastic.

How much power do you need? Budget? Parts-Express has $75 PA speakers that can handle pretty much anything you're likely to throw at them.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I was going to make it a 40W amp. That will be plenty, if for some reason I need it louder I'll just mic it.

For purpose, I was thinking for it to pull double duty. It will allow me to Goldy McJohn when I want to, and it will allow other band members to do what they wish when they want to. It will probably eventually get used for guitar, vocals, and possibly some of my woodwinds in some studio magic.

www.facebook.com/thelongblackveils Rock and Roll from Central California. Second album underway.

A Leslie 10 is the same as those Fender guitar Leslies..basically a spinet Leslie in a guitar combo amp box.

A typical Leslie woofer, like a Jensen P15LL, does not have high enough frequency response to be considered full range. It is crossed over at 800Hz anyhow, so it doesn't have to. The C12N in a Leslie 25 might be considered full-range by some, but it isn't really, and it also doesn't need to be...the organ stops making interesting noise around 6300Hz -- and it's already falling off quite badly there.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

You get pretty good band for the buck with Eminence. They actually make speakers for a lot of name brands. So some of those high end speakers might actually be made by Eminence.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

In this case this is a Leslie 10gxtyalsoif some long string of letters. Came out of a horrible Hammond J spinet. Only thing worthwhile. Told my bassist to "burn the rest."

Also have a Leslie 10CT, but that's still in my Conn 432.

In both cases they have this little 8" driver that doesn't handle much. I was originally going to just deal with it by going 15W and having a highpass, but that's just not going to do I realize. Not if I want what Steppenwolf had going on.

Got a carpenter friend who will help with the necessary cutting to make it happen.

So far as I scrounge on the internet and using your recommendations as a guide, cheapest 12" I'm finding is around $60.

You should consider that you may get WORSE performance out of a larger speaker in the same sized enclosure. With speakers, the box is as much a part of the speaker as the speaker itself, and bigger speakers usually need bigger enclosures. Even within the same size enclosure and same size speaker, you can't just swap one 10" for another 10" (for example) and expect the same response. You need to look at the Thiele Small parameters: Fs (resonant frequency), Vas (compliance), Qes (electrical resonance), Qms (mechanical resonance) - whose root sum of the squares give you Qts (total resonance), Sd (surface area), Xmax (cone excursion), Res (voice coil resistance), I (overall impedance), and then although it can be calculated from the others, Efficiency, power handling, and frequency response. All of those parameters coupled with box size, tuning, etc, will determine the response, sensitivity, and maximum output of the system.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived