Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT Keyboard Magazine

Six-string-man

I have been on holiday in the USA for the last two weeks. While I was here, I was looking forward to picking up a copy of Keyboard Magazine, as we do not get it in the UK. Below is a list of places that absolutely do not keep it, and have never heard of it.

Aspen, Durango, Moab, Jackson, West Yellowstone, Laramie, Cheyenne, Denver Airport.

I have had a great time, but am now sitting waiting for my flight home, still magazine free!

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not a mag that would be of interest to the masses, so you won't find it on a news stand at an airport. Your best bet is a music store that carries keyboards. Guitar Center, Sam Ash... any of the big chains & many of the larger ma & pa places should have it. 'Course you can always subscribe & have it sent to you every month. :thu:

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

It's not a mag that would be of interest to the masses, so you won't find it on a news stand at an airport. Your best bet is a music store that carries keyboards. Guitar Center, Sam Ash... any of the big chains & many of the larger ma & pa places should have it. 'Course you can always subscribe & have it sent to you every month. :thu:

I have thought of this, but wanted to check one out before springing for 6 or 12 months subsription.

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

...you can always subscribe & have it sent to you every month. :thu:

I have thought of this, but wanted to check one out before springing for 6 or 12 months subsription.

Just subscribe! :) By the time you get home you'll tip the baggage handlers more than you'll spend on a year's subscription. And I'll join everyone here in saying it's more than worth the money. :thu:

><>

Steve

I've seen them in Barnes & Nobles before. It's been awhile though. Not sure if they still carry them.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Here in the US a 12 month subscription is $12! What a deal.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

A value that far surpasses the price of admission. I'm not able to examine every issue cover to cover like I used to with M-F work an hour-and-a-half away, two working weekend bands and a three piece family with lots of in town in-laws, but love seeing a Keyboard Mag pop up in the stack of bills every month. The online stuff is bonus, but there's really something very nice about having the mag in your hands.

Hope you had a jolly time in the States.

How in the world is this OT??? :deadhorse:

;)

Look at getting the digital subscription. I don't know if that's available to you in the UK, but if it is, I bet it gets there quicker than the print version. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It used to be everywhere in Australia, big cities, country towns. I haven't seen it in a newsagent (newsstand) for years. Glad I subscribe. I sill remember buying my first issue in my local newsagent back in 1990 and 17 years old. The Aug 90 issue with the D-70 review in it. It was meant to be :-).
Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

I remember when the magazine first came out in 1975 (as "Contemporary Keyboard"). My family's music store had been carrying Guitar Player, and Keyboard soon became just as popular. At one time, we were shipping in dozens of copies by air each month to keep up. Nowadays, I still see them at most large newsagents here.

Look at getting the digital subscription. I don't know if that's available to you in the UK, but if it is, I bet it gets there quicker than the print version.

+1. Worth looking into anyway.

I've found Keyboard magazine at most bookstores, music shops, and on the occasional grocery store magazine rack as well.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Is that for the print version, or online? Seems extremely cheap if it's the latter!

I was an subscriber when it first came out until a few years ago and have a garage full of back issues thats fun to check out now and then..

Anyhoo, I had quit subscribing as it seemed I could pick up the lastest copy at our bookstore quicker than then I received the same one in the mail..

That eventually quit happening, and I never got around to re subscribing..I check all the bookstores and malls etc, when I venture the 300+ mile trip from my remote northern Michigan location, and the only place I've found that carry it is Guitar Center..sad..

I liked the magazine 40% of the time. Some of it just didn't interested me or I just didn't find it useful.

So, pretty much the same as the forum. :D

Oh I don't know--the forum is certainly more entertaining! :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

OK, have just pulled the trigger on a 12 month subscription. It cost me $37 to the UK, I could have got it a lot cheaper online, but there's just something about actually having the magazine in your hands.......

For me, a subscription would depend on the quality of the reviews. Are they in-depth, knowledgeable and truly unbiased, so that they can be relied upon to detail how the foibles/faults impact the performance or the playability, as well as praising the positives?

I subscribe to support the forum, and keep the legacy alive.

HOWEVER...

Keyboard Mag just doesn't have the same quality of inspiration it used to.

I started reading in 1988 (I was about 10 years old) when my Dad bought a JX8P and started reading it. Then, he lost interest in synths and Keyboard Magazine, but I stayed interested (he stuck with piano). I read for a number of years, before stopping when I was 16. I then resumed some years ago, only to find how wildly it had changed.

My Dad had thrown out all my old issues so I had to go on eBay to re buy 1988 through 92ish.

Although there have always been instrument reviews, I really always loved the conceptual articles. Like, 44 creative ways to use your sequencer. Or, any Freff column, or Notes from the Underground. There used to be tons of experimental and really edgy, weird, unique artists profiled.

Although Mr. Fortner does a tremendous job of piloting KB, it's missing the cool esoteric aspects; it's nice that there's some technique stuff still. It's just not as well-round as it used to be.

And yes, I GET IT. There isn't the revenue anymore, and there's no staff, and they can't afford to print all those pages. But hey, I'm a subscriber, so I'll hold out and hope!

(and yes, I'm sure I've said all this in previous threads)

For me, a subscription would depend on the quality of the reviews. Are they in-depth, knowledgeable and truly unbiased, so that they can be relied upon to detail how the foibles/faults impact the performance or the playability, as well as praising the positives?

I'll tell you after three months, when I've read a couple! I thought $3 a copy was good value, I pay £4.99 ($7.40) a copy for my guitar magazine.

I liked the magazine 40% of the time. Some of it just didn't interested me or I just didn't find it useful.

So, pretty much the same as the forum. :D

Oh I don't know--the forum is certainly more entertaining! :laugh:

No not like the forum because we have a lot of working musicians here and guys in the trenches. The magazine never focused enough on gigging musicians. Lets be honest a lot of guys her on the forum are gigging musicians and thats who to me are guys on the front lines, not some kid in his parents basement fooling around that cant even play. Thats why Harmony Central lost its appeal to me. Ill still buy an issue here and there but it was never worth it to me enough to subscribe to it.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Is that for the print version, or online? Seems extremely cheap if it's the latter!

I've paid $12 per year for the print version for at least the last four years or so.

I'm sure outside the US the delivery cost will increase that amount.

I see a few comments from those that aren't sure the magazine is valuable. I've subscribed for most of the past 25+ years and appreciate comments regarding changes to it. Here's my perspective.

1) I normally enjoy reading at least one of the articles featuring a given artist. Some of those artists are well-known, others not as much, but it is often interesting to see their perspective and how they use gear, technology, etc.

2) I always appreciate the gear reviews. They sometimes don't seem as objective as in the past, but they at least offer a good overview on a new piece of gear.

3) I often will sit down and play the notated lessons/techniques, etc. It's not always something I regularly use, but always good to be learning.

There's no other magazine that offers this breadth and depth regarding keyboards/synths. Despite whatever shortcomings you may perceive, it's still the best thing going.

I don't understand why this isn't worth $1 per issue (less than the price of a bottled water/coffee, soft drink, etc.). I think it's a great value and an enjoyable read.

Greg

It's the best thing going sure. I am just saying for me about %40 of is/was uninteresting.

I do understand. Popular Mechanics offered me a one year subscription renewal for $8. While I enjoy reading it (and it's worth more than what I would have to pay for it), I probably will let that one lapse for similar reasons.

Archived