Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

IPad and keyboards

Six-string-man

Yeah, if you know the Yamaha is set right, and you're using this adapter and a USB cable that you know is good, and an app like MIDI Monitor shows no activity, then I'd say most likely you need to go to the MX's MIDI connectors instead, barring something like a hardware defect. I'm surprised, but no one else has chimed in saying they have gotten it to work either. And I'm only surprised because other Yamahas have worked, even when it might have been unexpected, as described in this video, at around 2 to 3 minutes...

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iICtztPXqZA

Yeah, the more I pursue, the more I think that just using a MIDI interface might be the way to go. I notice that USB also causes additional noise through the output (At least from my computer; not just with the MX but with other synths as well). So sticking with MIDI may just be the better solution.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I notice that USB also causes additional noise through the output (At least from my computer;

Yes, as discussed in past threads, there can be grounding issues with USB, that are avoided with standard MIDI. Also see https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2473835

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

After much trial and error with my USB-MIDI keyboards (I have four different ones - none of them work with my 3rd Gen iPad CCK) I finally settled on the Griffin Studio Connect which lets me use any MIDI keyboard I want. I found one at Guitar Center for about $70. At first it overheated and crapped out right out of the box but I found a firmware update that allows it to work with the iPad3 and everything is fine now. Very low latency. I am working on a new album entirely on the iPad using Audiobus apps like Magellan and Auria.

Griffin released a new model of the Studio Connect with the Lightning connector at SNAMM.

After much trial and error with my USB-MIDI keyboards (I have four different ones - none of them work with my 3rd Gen iPad CCK) I finally settled on the Griffin Studio Connect which lets me use any MIDI keyboard I want. I found one at Guitar Center for about $70. At first it overheated and crapped out right out of the box but I found a firmware update that allows it to work with the iPad3 and everything is fine now. Very low latency. I am working on a new album entirely on the iPad using Audiobus apps like Magellan and Auria.

Griffin released a new model of the Studio Connect with the Lightning connector at SNAMM.

They're blowing the 30 pin version out at Sweetwater for $40. I may have to grab one and just use a 30 pin to lightning converter.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Still cheap though..from all accounts it is a solid bit of kit..I use the Griffin Midi Connect as I need the ipad in portrait mode.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Based on your mentioning Scarbee and Komplete, it sounds like you are interested in using the iPad essentially as a "rompler" - i.e. to play back a wider variety of instrument sounds.

I don't know of any other way to get the sounds, apart from buying half a dozen keyboards, and I don't have the space (or the cash!) for that.

Am I missing out on another method?

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Based on your mentioning Scarbee and Komplete, it sounds like you are interested in using the iPad essentially as a "rompler" - i.e. to play back a wider variety of instrument sounds.

I don't know of any other way to get the sounds, apart from buying half a dozen keyboards, and I don't have the space (or the cash!) for that.

Am I missing out on another method?

I wasn't differentiating between using an iPad as a rompler versus using other keyboards for that purpose. I was differentiating between using an iPad as a rompler versus using an iPad for something else (sample playback, clonewheel, VA synth, sequencer, etc. etc.).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I wasn't differentiating between using an iPad as a rompler versus using other keyboards for that purpose. I was differentiating between using an iPad as a rompler versus using an iPad for something else (sample playback, clonewheel, VA synth, sequencer, etc. etc.).

There you go again, speaking in a language that I don't understand! :blush: I was doing OK until I came to the bit in brackets.

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

There you go again, speaking in a language that I don't understand! :blush: I was doing OK until I came to the bit in brackets.

Simple analogy... You can use your computer for many things--web browsing, email, word processing, spreadsheet, game--it just depends what app you launch. Likewise, you can use the iPad for many things, including many different musical things, depending on what apps you choose. These include:

* "rompler" - playback of some company's supply of prerecorded samples... strings, brass, guitars, flutes, whatever (like loading sounds from Nord's sample library into your Nord)

* sample playback - playing back samples of sounds you've recorded yourself (like loading your own custom samples into your Nord)

* clonewheel - simulating the sound and functionality of an old tonewheel B-3 style Hammond organ (similar to the organ functionality in your Nord_

* VA synth - VA stands for Virtual Analog - simulating the sound and functionality of an old analog synth (MiniMoog, ARP, Oberheim, Jupiter, etc.)

* Sequencer - using MIDI to record a set of instructions which can then be played back on demand, typically to create backing tracks, but in a way that can be altered and controlled in ways that recordings of audio backing tracks cannot

and so on.

So you can use your iPad as a rompler, or as one or more of those other things, or still other things I haven't listed here. All of these things can also be done other ways... with a computer, with other keyboards... with pros and cons to every approach.

Still cheap though..from all accounts it is a solid bit of kit..I use the Griffin Midi Connect as I need the ipad in portrait mode.

You can use the Griffin Studio Connect with the iPad in either portrait or landscape mode. The connector is not embedded into the stand, it is on a short cable.

You can even use the the lightning to 30 pin adapter with the Studio Connect. There is a lightning version, but no need to buy a new one because the connector changed. Unlike the Alesis IO dock!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

You can use the Griffin Studio Connect with the iPad in either portrait or landscape mode. The connector is not embedded into the stand, it is on a short cable.

Thanks Jim, yes I was aware of that, however on my stand (live rig) the cable is way too short, and I have no where to place the actual device either.

And I spoke with Griffin techs who strongly suggested not to use an extension cable, it MIGHT work they said, but they could not guarantee security of operation. So I use the MidiCOnnect and the iPad headphone out as a compromise :)

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Simple analogy... You can use your computer for many things--web browsing, email, word processing, spreadsheet, game--it just depends what app you launch. Likewise, you can use the iPad for many things, including many different musical things, depending on what apps you choose. These include:

* "rompler" - playback of some company's supply of prerecorded samples... strings, brass, guitars, flutes, whatever (like loading sounds from Nord's sample library into your Nord)

* sample playback - playing back samples of sounds you've recorded yourself (like loading your own custom samples into your Nord)

* clonewheel - simulating the sound and functionality of an old tonewheel B-3 style Hammond organ (similar to the organ functionality in your Nord_

* VA synth - VA stands for Virtual Analog - simulating the sound and functionality of an old analog synth (MiniMoog, ARP, Oberheim, Jupiter, etc.)

* Sequencer - using MIDI to record a set of instructions which can then be played back on demand, typically to create backing tracks, but in a way that can be altered and controlled in ways that recordings of audio backing tracks cannot

and so on.

So you can use your iPad as a rompler, or as one or more of those other things, or still other things I haven't listed here. All of these things can also be done other ways... with a computer, with other keyboards... with pros and cons to every approach.

It's getting to the point that I need to hire you as technical consultant! I really appreciate all your help. Many thanks.

You can even use the the lightning to 30 pin adapter with the Studio Connect. There is a lightning version, but no need to buy a new one because the connector changed. Unlike the Alesis IO dock!

I love my Alesis I/O dock with the iPad2, but really want to upgrade when the next great Apple iPad-maxi comes out, but will really miss the convenience of the firm grip compatibility of the current hardware. The paltry 16 gig in the 2 has been full of synths, samplers, and mini-studios for nearly a year and when something new comes out that I want to try, tough choices have to be made to delete some apps that don't get as much attention anymore.

The newer Alesis mixers for iPad are pretty neat but a tad expensive, plus they DON'T HAVE MIDI connections of any kind...what were they thinking?

I liked my IO Dock too. Unfortunately, I can't use it with my new iPad I got last Christmas. And the first generation one is getting long in the tooth. I'm probably going to get the Griffin just not right now. I've spent too much this year!

Here's one that doesn't get mentioned often... When I run iPad apps at rehearsals and solo gigs... I use an Apple Airexpress and plug it in next to my K10... Then set my ipad on my ultimate stand with the iklip on the mic stand... select airplay for sound output, pick the airexpress to send it to... bam...wireless audio on stage. really makes a difference without the audio wires coming from the headphone out.

do the same from mainstage with my mac mini gig rig

Here's one that doesn't get mentioned often... When I run iPad apps at rehearsals and solo gigs... I use an Apple Airexpress and plug it in next to my K10... Then set my ipad on my ultimate stand with the iklip on the mic stand... select airplay for sound output, pick the airexpress to send it to... bam...wireless audio on stage. really makes a difference without the audio wires coming from the headphone out.

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought of that.

With a battery powered controller and wireless MIDI, an iPad system could be basically wireless right up to your amp. Quick setup, clean stage. As long as you're diligent about having everything fully charged up!

good rig for showcase gigs or opening act gigs

I still prefer my mac mini setup... I've used midi bridge on my ipad to send midi wirelessly to my mac mini from my novation impulse... works well... a slight amount of added latency but not a deal killer when you need to set up fast and have your rig off the stage or on the side ready to go.

I know someone in this thread was interested, but I cannot remember who: The cable I bought recently arrived today. It works! (ipad and cp5)

Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Camera-Connection-Kit-8-Pin-OTG-to-USB-Adapter-Cable-for-iPad-4-iPad-Mini-White/882822415.html

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

I just read through this thread. I'm still not sure what I need to connect my S90ES to my iPad.

My iPad is, I guess, an iPad4, which has the lightning connector. The Griffin StudioConnect looks very nice, but they want $150 for the lightning version(!) I may decide that is worth it at some point, but for now I'd like to get a $10 cable to see if this is something I want to pursue further. The Apple camera kit seems to be for the 30-pin iPad connector?

My S90ES has what I believe is a USB Type 2 connector. I already have a 1/8" to dual 1/4" cable to run from the iPad to get the audio into my mixer. Is it really not possible to find a USB Type 2-to-Lightning cable that works for allowing my keyboard to "play" the sounds in the iPad? I have googled for the better part of 2 days with no definite results. With all due respect to Pale, I'd rather avoid purchasing a cable from half way around the world.

If your S90ES sends MIDI over USB, you would use Apple's $29 Lightning to USB Camera Adapter and a regular USB (printer) cable. If the S90ES only sends MIDI out the MIDI jacks (more likely, I'd say, considering the age of that board), you could use that same $29 adapter and one of the common MIDI-to-USB computer interfaces like a Roland UM-One, ART M-Connect,

iConnectivity MIO... if you've ever connected your S90ES to your computer, odds are good you may have something like this. There are also cheap $5 generic versions of these things that some people have had luck with, too.

To connect to the regular Griffin Studio all you need is an Apple 30 pin to Lightning adapter It plus the 30 pin Studio Connect will set you back about $130. So you would save $20.

All you really need for using the iPad as a sound module and for midi recording is an $59.99 midi adapter

If you want to record using your ipad plus be able to use midi I would suggest a good interface that supports midi as well as audio. I use the Roland Duo-Caputure it also works on my laptop so its useful for more than just my iPad

Update: Your fast Scott!

Archived