Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Project P-Bass Build

Nicklab

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks nice Wraub!

They do indeed, but, sadly, they are not mine. merely to illustrate the ano gold/black look.

My P bass is a natural ash body, no paint, and is all beat up compared to those shown.

I love it.

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Looks sweet, Wraub!

So, I've been in touch with Pickguard Heaven about my tort guard. And while this was something that I didn't want to do, I wound up picking up a gold anodized pickguard for my bass. And that's due in large part to the folks at Pickguard Heaven wanting a guard that they can use to make a template for my own guard. It makes the fitting process that much more precise. I thought that getting a custom pickguard would be relatively easy, but that's just not the case.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

So here is the body, neck bolted on, and the gold anodized pickguard. Just for YOUR viewing pleasure, Wraub!

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb135/nicklabatearthlinkdotnet/6986cf56-bd9b-46b0-be91-09fd71cde529_zps679481b0.jpg

...and the pickguard is now on it's way to Pickguard Heaven as a template for my custom tortoiseshell pickguard.

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Thanks for the personal touch, Nick!

And, speaking personally, I think that looks cooler than a polar bear's toenails.

It's the correct hole count as well, unlike mine. Well, historically speaking, anyway.

Really looking forward to the rest of the process, ano guard or not...

So, a little background on this break in the action. Like I illustrated earlier in the thread, I've got all of the parts now except for the pickguard which is a work in progress.

So why not start wiring it up? Well, the pickguard is actually a pretty integral part of the instrument. With this kind of a top loaded body a lot of the parts are anchored by the pickguard. The pickup? It's anchored through holes in the pickguard. The bridge? The wiring, complete with the ground wire, needs to be installed before the bridge. And considering that the volume and tone pots need to be screwed into the pickguard, along with the output jack? Again, the pickguard needs to be in place in order for the work to proceed.

So who ever thought that such a thin piece of plastic (or gold anodized aluminum) was that important?

Well, as for the pickguard itself, how many P basses have you seen with cracks/breaks in the plastic guard (especially near the output jack)? The ano guard solves that.

And, for the time being, could you not mount the pots/jack to the ano guard for soldering purposes?

Actually, no. There were a couple of options presented by Pickguard Heaven for getting my custom guard cut. Either send a tracing or the original Pickguard itself. Sending an actual pickguard results in a better cut on the new guard, so I opted to send the gold guard and not a tracing. No guard, no pot mounting & wiring.

Well, as for the pickguard itself, how many P basses have you seen with cracks/breaks in the plastic guard (especially near the output jack)? The ano guard solves that.

i get it. you like the anodized pick guard. (that's the option i would pick for myself, too.)

Yes, I do. It's not exactly the most popular choice, and of course appearance preference is subjective, but it definitely works for me.

Not trying to convert the natives, just speaking my piece.

I like my gear to be effective and durable. A non-breakable pickguard is one less thing to worry about in live play.

Functional, durable and, imo, attractive. Not a bad combo.

(Plus, I have always liked them since my first Fender catalog sighting, back in the day.)

I have several other P bass pickguards also, and swap 'em out as tastes dictate.

Just keep going back to the gold.

Not to mention, the gold is more "period correct" for the body Nick is using.

Thanks, Willie! This project has been a nice thing to focus on during what's been termed as my "Daddy Sabbatical".

Today's update? The order is officially placed with Pickguard Heaven for my tort guard. And let me say this: they are VERY helpful when you get them on the phone! They were kind enough to explain the differences between their brown tort and the red "reissue" tort. It turns out that their brown tort is much more similar to the original materials used by Fender back in the 1960's. And it also ages much more naturally than the red "reissue" tort. Sometimes having a conversation with someone on the phone can be a very enlightening experience! So kudos to Chandler's Music / Pickguard Heaven for a very positive and informative customer service experience.

Wraub, I can offer ONE downside to the gold guard based on some past experience. Several years back I picked up a used Classic 50's P-Bass in 2-tone 'burst. It definitely got some of that old school thump going. But when I bought it I found that the pickguard was actually bent in the vicinity of the output jack. As much as I tried, it was really difficult to get the guard completely flat again. So while they may not crack like guards made of other materials, there are some other pitfalls that you might encounter with the gold anodized pickguards.

How the hell would you bend one accidentally?

Maybe some attempt at faux mojo (fojo)? Weird.

Also, the actual texture feel can de off putting to some, apparently. Fingers on chalkboard/sandpaper and such.

Again, the more you play with one, it tends to smooth out, but some don't want to deal with it for that long. To each his own.

To that end,

Nick, good to hear about your experience with Pickguard Heaven. Sounds about par for other reviews of them I have heard.

I expect you'll be getting a pretty nice pickguard.

Dubs, really, they are worth a try if you like the look or alleged functionality, and, the texture is something you can live with.

How the hell would you bend one accidentally?

Maybe some attempt at faux mojo (fojo)? Weird.

Seems likely that someone had an instrument cable plugged into the instrument and they hit the jack against something. REALLY HARD. That seems like the only feasible explanation.

Seems likely that someone had an instrument cable plugged into the instrument and they hit the jack against something. REALLY HARD. That seems like the only feasible explanation.
Give the man a cigar, or his choice of prizes on the third row . . . :thu:

Although there are numerous aluminum alloys representing various properties, it's most likely (if any thought was given to it at all) that the primary concern was how readily the material could be anodized with the least amount of polishing or prep work. I'll wager nobody considered "impact resistance" as part of the calculations.

I've made pick guards from 1/8" polished stainless steel and "diamond plate" aluminum for a Tele and a Strat, respectively. Tele guard still shines like a mirror 10+ years later; Strat - not so much - gets "rode hard and put away wet" most times . . .

TimberWolf

So a tracking number wound up in my inbox yesterday, and that can only mean that the pickguard for this bass is on it's way. I'm looking forward to getting the project completed, and the pickguard is going to aid greatly towards that end. So with that in mind, I need to make sure that I've got a decent grade of solder in stock for the wiring process.

Once the bass is done, OF COURSE there will be pictures. Because as we all know: No Pictures, No Bass!

Still, once I get the bass done I don't think that's going to be the end of work on this particular instrument. I've been planning on bringing it in to the shop that does my repair work so that I can get it properly shielded, and possibly set up as well.

...And then there's the matter of the NEXT build. ;)

So a tracking number wound up in my inbox yesterday, and that can only mean that the pickguard for this bass is on it's way. I'm looking forward to getting the project completed, and the pickguard is going to aid greatly towards that end. So with that in mind, I need to make sure that I've got a decent grade of solder in stock for the wiring process.

Once the bass is done, OF COURSE there will be pictures. Because as we all know: No Pictures, No Bass!

Still, once I get the bass done I don't think that's going to be the end of work on this particular instrument. I've been planning on bringing it in to the shop that does my repair work so that I can get it properly shielded, and possibly set up as well.

...And then there's the matter of the NEXT build. ;)

Tracking info indicates that the pickguard for the infamous black nitro P-Bass will be here on Tuesday. I had been hoping to have the bass assembled in time for one of my favorite area blues jams for Monday night, but that wasn't meant to me. But what IS convenient is that I'm off all of next week and I can devote some time to the final assembly.

Oh, and that little tease at the end of my last update? Don't say I didn't warn you.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb135/nicklabatearthlinkdotnet/GEAR/015_zps5c6ebb82.jpg

• 2 months later...

Time to revisit this thread since I've finally had a little bit of time to spend on the Nitro P-Bass.

First, the long-storied pickguard! The body is from a Fender Classic 50's Precision bass. As such, it's been drilled for the 50's Precision pickguard which has 10 drill holes. Other P-Basses have 13 drill holes in a somewhat different pattern. The first thing to do? Make sure the pickguard fits.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb135/nicklabatearthlinkdotnet/GEAR/P-Bass%20Build/182_zpsb8715776.jpg

Thankfully, it fit perfectly! The drill holes all lined up like they were supposed to. The next step? Fastening the pickguard in place. To do that I used Allparts pickguard screws. And from there? I wanted to drill pilot holes for a pickup cover as well as for the tug bar.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb135/nicklabatearthlinkdotnet/GEAR/P-Bass%20Build/184_zpsa36e64ec.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb135/nicklabatearthlinkdotnet/GEAR/P-Bass%20Build/185_zps9b7c97cb.jpg

One thing that I made certain to do? Prime the screws before screwing them into the body or neck. Tolerances on these are kind of tight, and the lubrication of some Burt's Beeswax actually makes a noticeable difference.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb135/nicklabatearthlinkdotnet/GEAR/P-Bass%20Build/177_zpsfbff7ae1.jpg

Also on tap for today's work? Mounting the tuning machines. The original owner of the neck had used hipshot ultralite tuners. Those only use a single screw and a bushing to lock the tuner in place on the headstock. I opted for more substantial Fender vintage style tuners which use 4 screws a piece.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb135/nicklabatearthlinkdotnet/GEAR/P-Bass%20Build/173_zpsb3f8f13a.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb135/nicklabatearthlinkdotnet/GEAR/P-Bass%20Build/176_zps478e0b66.jpg

In this case I mounted all four tuners along with their bushings before drilling any pilot holes. The tuners have to line up just right. At that point I started drilling small pilot holes for each screw. Once again, each screw was lubricated with the Burt's Beeswax in order to go in smoothly.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb135/nicklabatearthlinkdotnet/GEAR/P-Bass%20Build/181_zps574749ab.jpg

Next? Removing the pickguard. I put it on at first to make the sure it was the right fit, but kept on the protective film. After all, this was a custom cut pickguard. It had to fit right, otherwise it would need to go back. But once I was confident that it was going to work well the film came off. And this also meant cutting holes in the foil covers for the pots and output jack, and fastening the pots and jacks in place.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb135/nicklabatearthlinkdotnet/GEAR/P-Bass%20Build/187_zps6a2c2042.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb135/nicklabatearthlinkdotnet/GEAR/P-Bass%20Build/188_zps6e41aeee.jpg

For the purposes of wiring the pots and then securing them in place, having the pickguard off and the pots mounted seems to be the best way to go. For the time being my soldering iron is standing by, but I'm going to have to break it out soon when I get to wiring the bass.

So this is where the project stands as of this evening. I'm hoping to have another update within a week. And hopefully this bass is going to be playable before the new year!

I honestly wish I had more progress to report. I've had all the parts on hand for some 2 months now, but free time to sit down with the project and devote my full attention to it has been somewhat lacking.

I've been searching for a decent online/video tutorial on wiring the pickup and pots, but haven't found anything good thus far. Both Stew-Mac and Seymour Duncan included wiring diagrams with the wiring kit and the pickup. But seeing the process get done is another thing entirely.

youtube

Not necessarily the best audio, but not too bad.

Thanks, Wraub. I had actually found both of those videos, but wasn't impressed with the audio or the camera work. Notably, I wanted to see someone give a close-up view of the process, and precisely WHERE they were making each solder joint.

And I'm also more than a little surprised that there isn't a pickup installation video on Stewart MacDonald's YouTube channel. Weird.

Archived