Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ray Dolby dies.....

B3bluesman59

From the LA Times:

Ray Dolby, the inventor and engineer who founded Dolby Laboratories and pioneered noise-reducing and surround-sound technology widely used in the film and recording industries, has died in San Francisco at 80, the company announced Thursday.

Dolby had been living with Alzheimer's disease in recent years and was diagnosed in July with acute leukemia, the company said.

Today we lost a friend, mentor and true visionary, Dolby Laboratories President and Chief Executive Kevin Yeaman said in a statement. Ray Dolby founded the company based on a commitment to creating value through innovation and an impassioned belief that if you invested in people and gave them the tools for success they would create great things. Rays ideals will continue to be a source of inspiration and motivation for us all.

PHOTOS: Notable deaths 2013

Dolby, born in Portland, Ore., was a precocious inventor. While attending high school in San Francisco and then at Stanford University, Dolby worked at Ampex Corp., where he was the chief designer of the first practical videotape recording system.

By the end of his life, he held more than 50 patents and had received two Oscars for scientific and technical achievement, several Emmys and a Grammy.

My father was a thoughtful, patient and loving man, determined to always do the right thing in business, philanthropy, and as a husband and father, said David Dolby, his son and a member of Dolby Laboratories board of directors. Our family is very proud of his achievements and leadership. He will be sorely missed, but his legacy of innovation will live on.

Dolby is survived by his wife, Dagmar, his sons Tom and David, their spouses Andrew and Natasha, and four grandchildren.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anybody know how long it's been since he was actively involved in the company and which technologies were directly attributed to him vs his legacy? He was obviously responsible for all ot the noise reduction technology...I'm curious if he was also involved in much of the more recent surround sound technology?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

It was because of Dolby B that I purchased an Advent 201 Cassette Deck when I was in college... and a pair of Advent microphones to record bands... and a pair of Advent speakers.

It was a well made machine. The microphones and the external preamp that was necessary, were all of very high quality... Very high on the "Bang for the Buck" scale.

I made a lot of memorable recordings with that combination.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue16/images/Advent201.jpg

KLONK!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Ya have to admit, it's kinda funny or ironic one of his sons is named Tom...

Rest peacefully, Mr. Dolby, and thanks. His sounds like the kind of interesting, technical life I'd like to know more about.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Ya have to admit, it's kinda funny or ironic one of his sons is named Tom...

In Retrospectacle, yes, it is. :D

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Dolby,,,DBX... All the great noise reduction systems of the 70's.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Do we observe a minute of silence, or a minute of higher fidelity sound?

(Admittedly stolen joke from FB)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It was because of Dolby B that I purchased an Advent 201 Cassette Deck when I was in college... and a pair of Advent microphones to record bands... and a pair of Advent speakers.

It was a well made machine. The microphones and the external preamp that was necessary, were all of very high quality... Very high on the "Bang for the Buck" scale.

I made a lot of memorable recordings with that combination. [...]

Ray Dolby obviously deserves credit for the Advent 201's noise reduction, but you can thank Wollensak/3M for the ruggedness of the transport since they were the manufacturers (and designers of the transport mechanism).

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

Actually, dbx came from dbx not Dolby:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dbx_(noise_reduction)

Other than for that correction, I stand in awe of the man and what he did, and treasure the time I met him at an AES tech conference. One of the nicer people in the industry, and an excellent speaker. We've lost another true innovator.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The Thomas Dolby who will appear on BBC may be Ray Dolby's son vs. the pop artist who changed his name to avoid confusion with Tom Robinson:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Dolby

Shades of David Bowie, who had to distinguish himself from the already-famous Davey Jones. But also smacking of the trademark territorial boundaries of APple Computer vs. Apple Records.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived