Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MO 88 vs CP5

I-missRichardTee

How do they compare? I just bought the CP5 without even considering the MO 88. Action, sounds, stage piano ease of use?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How do they compare? I just bought the CP5 without even considering the MO 88. Action, sounds, stage piano ease of use?

MO 88?

Do you mean the old MO 8?

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/synthesizers/mo/mo8/

Or MOX8?

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/synthesizers/mox_series/mox8/

Or something else?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Action: CP5 better than MOX8

Piano/EP sounds: CP5 better than MOX8

Other sounds: should be comparable quality, but MOX8 has a lot more of them

Ease of Use: Probably favors the MOX8

and portability favors the MOX8, it's much lighter.

Basically, CP5 is the better piano, MOX8 is the more versatile multi-function keyboard.

MOX8 has just come down in price because it is about to be replaced with MOXF8. By installing a flash card in it, you will be able to install a variety of different piano sounds in it. They still won't have the piano-specific enhancements of the CP5, but there are a pretty good variety of different sounding downloadable pianos available for the flash cards.

The CP5 itself is being replaced by the CP4 which is lighter and has an additional new piano sound. There's a thread about it here on the forum.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have sincerely tried to find forum chat on the CP5... with very meager results. I cannot find a single Keyboard Corner thread on the CP5. Can anyone direct me to such a thread(s), or am I to believe the CP5 has not generated any discussion to speak of!? Thank you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I have sincerely tried to find forum chat on the CP5... with very meager results. I cannot find a single Keyboard Corner thread on the CP5. Can anyone direct me to such a thread(s), or am I to believe the CP5 has not generated any discussion to speak of!? Thank you

Really? :confused:

Google: site:forums.musicplayer.com cp5

I think you'll find plenty to be going on with there.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Quiet. Freeze. Now, just a zephyr: "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!"

See. Not a leaf moved. Beautifully said. Whispered.

Deep in the woods, in the green light of noon, I've known a few -- just a few -- squirrels, that need a dating site, not a musicians' forum.

John, cowboy, shooter, let me help: "less is more".

Think about it.

Quiet. Freeze. Now, just a zephyr: "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!"

See. Not a leaf moved. Beautifully said. Whispered.

Deep in the woods, in the green light of noon, I've known a few -- just a few -- squirrels, that need a dating site, not a musicians' forum.

John, cowboy, shooter, let me help: "less is more".

Think about it.

Well, that was interesting.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Really? how about this one or this one??? :facepalm:

http://blue-funk.com/NonBandPictures/smileys/wall.gif

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Ok ok YOU guys are smarter than Tee when it comes to searching. So this exposure of my shortcoming doesn't go public.. can anyone help Mr dumbie here out in terms of what you type to search for eg Korg Extreme, or Yamaha CP300 etc

I already knew the search here at KC was not the best.. so I tried just "CP5"- no quote marks in the search! I received four recent pages with 25 per page. I set search to 2 years, but it didn't go further that much more in time.

I knew CP5 is too few information. But I didn't know what other search word to use.. "Yamaha" would be too general.

So I tried Google. I got retail stores, which I don't want, obviously.

I typed forums, CP5 I may have entered Yamaha in Google.

I just need some guidance on searching I guess.

So if anyone wants to show great compassion and reach down from your high intellect to help an apparently double digit IQ guy... that would be oh so nice !

here are some candidates Triton extreme- CP1- JV 1000 ( one of my favorites, apropos of nuttin ) using these three as an example, how would I receive keyboard player discussion on these boards? ( I have no interest in any of those boards.. I just used them as examples )

Thanks for the humor, I admit was funny and well earned.

Action: CP5 better than MOX8

Piano/EP sounds: CP5 better than MOX8

Other sounds: should be comparable quality, but MOX8 has a lot more of them

Ease of Use: Probably favors the MOX8

and portability favors the MOX8, it's much lighter.

Basically, CP5 is the better piano, MOX8 is the more versatile multi-function keyboard.

MOX8 has just come down in price because it is about to be replaced with MOXF8. By installing a flash card in it, you will be able to install a variety of different piano sounds in it. They still won't have the piano-specific enhancements of the CP5, but there are a pretty good variety of different sounding downloadable pianos available for the flash cards.

The CP5 itself is being replaced by the CP4 which is lighter and has an additional new piano sound. There's a thread about it here on the forum.

I appreciate the effort.. thank you very much!

Google: site:forums.musicplayer.com cp5

The above means, using Google, you are searching ONLY a web SITE named "forums.musicplayer.com" for the search phrase "cp5". IOW, by giving Google the "site:" operand, you are telling it to only search the site that follows the operand (forums.musicplayer.com), rather than searching the whole internet.

So, bring up Google in your browser, and input the following exactly as you see it below, and you'll notice that all results are limited to those within this forum, and, that all the results have the phrase "cp5" in them:

site:forums.musicplayer.com cp5

If you want to search for another phrase simply replace the "cp5" with the other phrase and search again.

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

The only problem with the otherwise excellent approach of using google to search this forum is, if you're searching for specific models of keyboards, you'll also get hits from anyone who has put that model in their sig. But still, relevant discussions should rank higher, and you'll probably find what you want.

opdigits S Cal eh, you are a very helpful person, thank you. This is a great resource- KC, and you just helped me not annoy some of these guys that know there way around this site. I am in San Diego now. Do you play full time, or ?

Much appreciate your assistance.

The only problem with the otherwise excellent approach of using google to search this forum is, if you're searching for specific models of keyboards, you'll also get hits from anyone who has put that model in their sig. But still, relevant discussions should rank higher, and you'll probably find what you want.

And like opdigits, you too, are a very very helpful fellow. thank you very much both of you ( I am sure I am over looking other very helpful people here- love this site, because great people here who can take a joke, and are not afraid to dish one out too )

opdigits S Cal eh, you are a very helpful person, thank you. This is a great resource- KC, and you just helped me not annoy some of these guys that know there way around this site. I am in San Diego now. Do you play full time, or ?

Much appreciate your assistance.

You're welcome. Glad to help when I can.

Should also note that the site operand can be utilized for any site, not just this one.

Yes, I've been a full time pro musician for just over 38 years now. Currently, I am on sabbatical.

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

Personally I think it's not a bad thing that "same old" subjects get re-discussed. There are new people joining all the time that might want to weigh in (and don't want to dredge up an old thread, which brings down even more wrath).

This subject in particular I like since those two boards are contenders for me also! Unfortunately I have yet to be able to play a CP5 or CP50. I have played a p155 (same action as CP50) and the s90XS. Not sure if the s90XS action is the same as any of the others, but I liked it and the p155 a fair bit better than the Mox8 in that regard. The upcoming cp4/cp40 are causing me to slow down a bit, even though I normally buy used and save a lot of money.

Certainly if weight is a factor the Mox8 is great. The flip side is I don't like the plastic build quality, not because I think it will break or any other logical reason, but I just prefer a more sturdy build. The s90xs has this....ask me at 2am while loading out of a club and my answer will likely be very different :-)

Personally I think it's not a bad thing that "same old" subjects get re-discussed. There are new people joining all the time that might want to weigh in (and don't want to dredge up an old thread, which brings down even more wrath). :-)

Like agreeing with your Little League umpire's decision that gives your kid the win; I don't mean to be self indulgent, but I do agree! I DO however wonder if this forums owners, pay for every character I type? I mean this as a legitimate inquiry. What are the reasons why one incurs "wrath", purely nuisance based or something more substantial?

What are the reasons why one incurs "wrath", purely nuisance based or something more substantial?

You risk incurring this kind of wrath on ANY internet forum with some of these kinds of queries.

IMO, the 'regulars' get irritated when someone asks a question that's been asked many times or seeking any information that may have been easily found by using tools that are readily available to all.

Many forums tend to become a community/gathering place for the regulars and each bring their own personality (as reflected in the variety of responses).

Most of the folks here seem to be pretty tolerant most of the time and I find it to be a useful (and often humorous) resource.

Greg

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Most of the folks here seem to be pretty tolerant most of the time and I find it to be a useful (and often humorous) resource.

I try to input as much humor as possible. This is an excellent forum and I look forward to visiting every day.

Can't believe it's been almost 10 years now.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Archived