Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Got me a VAX77

Analogaddict

Thanks to the superb assistance of Joe Muscara, I finally bought a VAX77 from a fellow forumite, who may remain anonymous if (s)he wishes so. It's a great feeling board that integrated very easily into my setup, both midi and usbmidi worked right away. I'm going to try it on a gig tonight, playing piano and Wurlitzer and serving as 2nd manual for my SK1. I hope Infinite return with a new product because this folding thing is such a great idea. This way, I can carry all my stuff at once, and still have a weighted bottom keyboard..!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/analogaddict/null_zps9ae119bc.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a huge fan of mine - aside from the whole folding thing, which is not why I love it. The action is so, so , accurate, and the only board I am comfortable playing both piano and organ on.

I use it with Mainstage, but have also used it in a similar configuration to you, with it acting as the bottom keyboard for both lower manual organ and pianos.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

the only board I am comfortable playing both piano and organ on.

I actually thought its usability for organ was one of its limitations... the edges of the keys were too sharp. But that can be less of an issue for "bottom manual" use.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I don't disagree - but the user selectable shallow trigger point and quick repetition are assets. I ended up adapting pretty well to the sharp edges.
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

It's the super heavy action, which suits me just right. For this gig, an instrumental Americana gig, I used the onboard sounds of the SK-1 with the VAX set to channel 2. I used it for Hammond, Wurlitzer and piano and it felt great. I have an issue with my Receptor not starting properly, so I decided to do everything with the SK-1, and although Scarbee and Ivory leave it in the dust, it sounds great in the mix. My band mates were very impressed with the whole folding thing too... :) I have an old StandTastic, nothing special, everything just fits and it feels very ergonomic.

Here's a pic from the gig showing the back (front?) side;

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/analogaddict/null_zps4c5c95d4.jpg

I may regret asking this, but does the Solaris respond to aftertouch..? :) The StandTastic is great, very solid, lightweight, nice looking and keeps the audience at a healthy distance..!
Not only does it respond to aftertouch, but it responds to PolyAftertouch! I made that the #1 condition with Bowen for my purchase, and he came thru. Even better, you run PolyAT thru a lag processor to really smooth out the response.

That's my old board! I sold it to analog.!

I think it is a great board, but I just couldn't get into the virtual synth stuff. Also, even though I liked the key feel and touch of the board, it just didn't feel the same to me as my nord Stage 2 ...the reality of the thing is, I had too many boards for my church band and jazz gigs(motif xf8! Roland vx 700, nord stage 2 , and I just HAD to get the Casio px- 5s...which I absolutely love....so this was a great deal for both of us.

this was a great deal for both of us.

Good to hear! I'm very happy with it, I got used to the action really fast and the format is brilliant. Next week, I have two rehearsals, three full days in a studio and three evening gigs - all of this with different bands, and I'll have to bring my own Backline for everything while dropping my daughter at daycare, doing the shopping and so on. With the VAX, everything fits in the trunk of my car. I sold my PC3x to finance this purchase, and I don't think I'll regret it (I still have 2xPC361 :) ).

Here's the next application; an extremely lightweight rig that still sounds and plays good..!

The midi chain is VAX -> Krome, Krome -> iPad running Galileo organ. I'll have the ipad at the same height as the synths for easy drawbar access and run Galileo with background audio enabled to be able to use Forscore at the same time.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/analogaddict/KromeVAX.jpg

Archived