Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slightly OT Two very different arrangements

Fred_C

Hey Gents,

I try to listen to as many arrangements of tunes I play as I can to see what I can steal. I came across this video. Adjectives like

Sweet

Cute

Musical

Charming

Heart-warming

All come to mind.

Very different but equally musical:

Hope you enjoy them both.

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't heard an arrangement of that song that WASN'T covered by those adjectives. Not YET.

But on many other songs, I've heard arrangements that would have one sound very pleasant, yet another one would make it sound jarring and unerving.

Pretty interesting topic.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9CwBw70D9I <--- don't forget to include this one in your studies Fred...glad to see you dropping in again! I think the young lady on the ukulele proves how easy it is to make the jazz chord changes on just 4 strings. She has some great years to come and did a great job at her level. The second video shows how the jazzers do not have to stay true to the original and can sing and play with feeling and can move all over the place vocally and instrumentally...You can't go wrong with a great song...says Larryz.
Take care, Larryz

I try to listen to as many arrangements of tunes I play as I can to see what I can steal.

I liked both of them. However the Platters did one smokin job on that tune back in the 50's. But both of those links led me to some nice listening.

http://mp3skull.com/mp3/the_platters_smoke_gets_in_your_eyes.html

I try to listen to as many arrangements of tunes I play as I can to see what I can steal.

I liked both of them. However the Platters did one smokin job on that tune back in the 50's. But both of those links led me to some nice listening.

Hey DBM,

How you doin', Bro? Yeah, both you and Larry reminded me not to forget about the Platters classic rendition of the tune and I agree.

http://mp3skull.com/mp3/the_platters_smoke_gets_in_your_eyes.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9CwBw70D9I <--- I think the young lady on the ukulele proves how easy it is to make the jazz chord changes on just 4 strings.

Hey Bro. Larry,

Yeah, I think that the Uke is tuned differently from a guitar. One of the other videos out there has the following comment:

christylynmusic 3 weeks ago

Thanks Kevin. That's the beauty of playing the ukulele - complex chords are soooo much simpler than on the guitar! :) Glad you liked it.

When you get into Chord Melody you'll find that you play a lot of 4 string chords. 5 and 6 note chords can sound kind of bloated and in addition you're often changing chords on every beat, so 4 note voicings work well.

Here's her video if you want to check it out.

·

Ya I think posting it here, it`s a crowd who can appreciate the charms of both versions. I have to admit, even with my own music sometimes I get seduced-if I did the `real` version there would be a horn section, and there should really be timbales here-but at the end of the day musicality is the last word.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Ya I think posting it here, it`s a crowd who can appreciate the charms of both versions. I have to admit, even with my own music sometimes I get seduced-if I did the `real` version there would be a horn section, and there should really be timbales here-but at the end of the day musicality is the last word.

+1.

Basically, I prefer arrangements of songs that still SOUND like the song, regardless of instrumentation. If someone recorded a version of "Stardust" using banjo and bassoon, I might not CARE for it, but would accept and appreciate the effort if it still SOUNDED like "Stardust".

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9CwBw70D9I <--- I think the young lady on the ukulele proves how easy it is to make the jazz chord changes on just 4 strings.

Hey Bro. Larry,

Yeah, I think that the Uke is tuned differently from a guitar. One of the other videos out there has the following comment:

christylynmusic 3 weeks ago

Thanks Kevin. That's the beauty of playing the ukulele - complex chords are soooo much simpler than on the guitar! :) Glad you liked it.

When you get into Chord Melody you'll find that you play a lot of 4 string chords. 5 and 6 note chords can sound kind of bloated and in addition you're often changing chords on every beat, so 4 note voicings work well.

Here's her video if you want to check it out.

·

+1,000 Fred, glad you're back in town. I've heard a lot of old folks homes are using group Ukulele playing old standards for entertainment as it's an easy instrument to play due to 4 note chords and tunings. I find myself using a lot more 4 note jazz style chords with hybrid picking these days and have a set of about 12 jazzy songs so far. I try to follow the original versions but breeze out into the weeds from time to time with my arrangements...take care, and good hearing from you Bro!

I liked listening to the young lady's playing, chord changes, singing and her version too...

Take care, Larryz

Archived