Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studiologic Acuna 73

smanzella

I am seriously considering buying an Acuna 73. A good lightweight 73 key weighted action controller is just the ticket for me. However, upon investigating this board more closely, I noticed a couple of things that came across as red flags.

First, the only US retailer for this board seems to be B&H Photo & Video. I do not have anything against B&H, I just find it odd that they are the only ones selling this board.

Second, the Studiologic website seems to be very lacking in information. Actually, as far as I can tell, the Studiologic website does not make any mention of the Acuna 73. And, the specs that the Studiologic website give for the Acuna 88 are the same ones that B&H Photo give for the Acuna 73. I tend to think that a poor website equates to poor tech support or a poor product.

My question is this. Does anybody on the forum own and use the Studiologic Acuna 73? If so, what is your opinion of this controller? I can get use to anu action that is at least decent. What I cannot tolerate is a poorly functioning piece of equipment. So, I would like to get some idea of its build quality and reliability.

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought one a few weeks ago from Thomann (shipped to UK).

FYI, The Acuna 73 has dimensions of 1070 x 350 x 115mm and weighs 12.5 kg.

From what I know, the 73 is just a smaller version of the 88, that's the only difference, so you could check out some reviews of the 88.

I bought a fusion keyboard bag to go with it. It's not quite as small or lightweight as I'd hoped, but I can just about manage lugging it around without a car.

I really like the action, very easy to play. I haven't dived into any of the features yet, or even looked at the manual. Just plugged it into my mac via usb and it was good to go.

I does seem to have pretty good build quality (bearing in mind I've only had it for a few weeks!). And most of all I really like the design, I think it's a very attractive looking board.

RD700NX, Krome 61, Acuna 73 + Mainstage 3

Thank you for your input clavjav. I probably will not bother to use any other features either since all I need it for is to control Pianoteq on my laptop. I tend to be a set it and forget it type of player. My needs are pretty modest and most of the features of this controller will go unused.

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

I just purchased an Acuna 88 and performed my first gig with it this weekend. Built like a tank yet doesn't weigh much for a weighted 88-note controller (32 lbs.). The action is on the heavier side but I prefer that coming from a classical piano background.

Not sure why more major retailers don't carry these?

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

• 4 months later...

After a few days....plan on keeping it.

It plays quite well, a huge step up from the Nord Electro HP I just sold, but not quite as nicely as my CP4. It does not exhibit the sluggishness on repeated notes I associate with Fatar actions, nor have I noticed velocity inconsistencies. I did notice that you need to push harder on black keys for aftertouch.

The key throw is somewhat shallow, which I am finding nice, actually. The build quality is solid.

I have not yet tried incorporating the iPad app....will post when I get around to it,but that doesn't seem crucial for my needs. I'll be using it as a rehearsal board with a Nord electro rack, and sometimes as sole keyboard with my Mainstage rig for performance. It may also see some action as a controller in my studio.

Light, 73 keys, good action, aftertouch.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

It plays quite well, a huge step up from the Nord Electro HP

That's surprising, since I think both are based on the Fatar TP100 action. There are lots of reasons why there could be subtle differences, but I wouldn't have expected a huge difference.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I understand your skepticism, given the same Fatar keys.

The difference is not subtle.....at least for me.....The way that the actions are implemented must be different. I wonder if the aftertouch mechanism, present in the Acuna but not the Electro makes the key depth shallower, and hence helps in repeated notes. Without the Electro still around to A/B, memory also tells me that the keys are a little tighter from side to side.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Thanks for the report, @Beethree. Quick question: when you compare the action between the Acuna and CP4, do you have the latter's internal sounds turned off, and controlling the same VI piano? If not, I'd be very interested in the results if you could try it out whenever convenient. I'm particularly interested in which one lends itself to more nuanced playing. Thanks in advance...!

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

I have used them both with the same Mainstage rig running Ivory, Sampletekk, Pianoteq, and True Keys, and would say without question that the CP4 allows more nuanced playing. The Acuna is pretty good, though.

@Beethree: thanks, that gives a very clear picture. I'm very interested in an Acuna 73, but it isn't available in my neck of the woods. I'd have to get one sight-unseen, and then perhaps pay ~2.5X the price you paid, shipping included ;).

Another quick question: Pianoteq has this 'Keyboard Calibration Assistant' thing. I'm curious as to how much this can help alleviate the difference between the two controllers. Apologies for the persistent questions, but any bit of info would be very highly appreciated. This thing checks a lot of boxes for me: decent action, the right form factor, weight, USB powered, aftertouch, above-average build quality. Plus, it does seem rather easy on the eyes, to boot (your comments on the last two would be appreciated!).

Hope you enjoy your new Acuna.

- Guru

P.S. Would be nice to see some pics of this thing - there are only stock images out there :)

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

The build quality seems excellent - and while I thought it was ugly from pictures, it is better looking in real life.

Does the 73 have an octave shift button?

You can edit the octave shift for each zone, according to the manual, but I can't see a way of providing "real-time" octave up/down buttons on the front panel. You could do things like have two zones, identical except that one is an octave higher/lower, and mute/unmute them as required?

Cheers, Mike.

Thanks, @clavjav... :thu:

Does the 73 have an octave shift button?

If you're controlling software, there are several workarounds.

- Guru

• 1 year later...
I just ordered one from Sweetwater. It should be here soon. Even though Sweetwater does not list them in their catalog, my rep was able to get one for me at the price that all the other retailers sell them at. I will write up a small review after a few rehearsals and gigs with it. I will primarily use it as a controller for PianoTeq 5 on my 11 Inch MacBook Air. Kudos to Nate & Brian at Sweetwater for helping me with this!

I just ordered one from Sweetwater. It should be here soon. Even though Sweetwater does not list them in their catalog, my rep was able to get one for me at the price that all the other retailers sell them at. I will write up a small review after a few rehearsals and gigs with it. I will primarily use it as a controller for PianoTeq 5 on my 11 Inch MacBook Air. Kudos to Nate & Brian at Sweetwater for helping me with this!

Good choice, congratulations! You will like it. Make sure to learn how to program the knobs, controls and program change. It's a broadly equipped Midi masterkeyboard with a good hammer action. Very inexpensive. Still kind of an insider's tip.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

Archived