Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What cables do you use?

CouchBed

I need to get myself a new cable to run between my pedalboard and my amp, and I'm having trouble finding one that I feel confident about using, so I'm coming to the guys who've been playing for a lot longer than I have. I'd like to not have to pay an arm and a leg for it, and I don't want the thing shorting out on me. I definitely don't want the thing killing my tone.

Anybody have a favorite cable?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Musician's Friend would be the easiest for you, being in the U.S.:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/switchcraft-280-1-4-straight-phone-plug

Also, check with your local music store for the cable. Most larger music stores will carry it on spools and you buy the number of feet that you need. Then, just solder them together and you are good to go.

My cables were walked on, folded up, rolled up, stretched out, heated, cooled, six nights a week, for seven years. Then, they did studio time. They are still going strong and I made them, originally, back in 1990.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PWCBGtr10/ <--- I like these short circuit jobs (for $5 bucks more you can have a 15' instead of a 10') makes it nice for switching one or more guitars, unplugging and silent tuning. They come in both straight or one right angle if desired. I've had mine for many many years and they hold up very well. A friend had a short near the end of his and told me you just cut it off straight and slide the chord back into the jack, no soldering, easy to repair. I'm still waiting to try it, but haven't had any problems yet.
Take care, Larryz

Belden wire and switchcraft ends is pretty standard stuff. That is what I use. I use right angle plugs for the pedalboard ends because there is no room between my tuner and the edge of the pedalcase. I use straight plugs for the guitar end because my Teles have recessed cup jacks. If you play something like a les paul you might want a right angle plug in case the guitar falls and lands jack first.

George L wire is good. There is always a roll at the shop. I used that to wire the pedalboard.

If you do not want to make your own those materials are available pre made from a lot of sources like Rapco or Pro Co or Proformance etc... If you don't know the difference between cold and hot solder joints I would buy your cables if dependability is critical. But solder skills are a great thing to have.

You will hear a lot of marketing cable hype that is pure BS.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I also always make my own cables, though generally with Mogami, Canare, or Gepco cable. Definitely Switchcraft connectors. I have cables still going strong that I made 30 to 35 years ago. The bits are all available at major electronics parts suppliers in big cities. NOT Radio Shack.
Scott Fraser

I always make my own. Some Belden cable, a couple of Switchcraft ends and you're good to go. They will last forever.

A friend was making a batch of cables for his studio with Belden cable and Neutrik ends and made me a bunch of cables and patch cables. I still use the patch cables, but managed to kill all of the cords over the years somehow. They were great and I gigged heavily with them for 4 years, probably

Belden wire and switchcraft ends is pretty standard stuff. That is what I use. I use right angle plugs for the pedalboard ends because there is no room between my tuner and the edge of the pedalcase. I use straight plugs for the guitar end because my Teles have recessed cup jacks. If you play something like a les paul you might want a right angle plug in case the guitar falls and lands jack first.

George L wire is good. There is always a roll at the shop. I used that to wire the pedalboard.

If you do not want to make your own those materials are available pre made from a lot of sources like Rapco or Pro Co or Proformance etc... If you don't know the difference between cold and hot solder joints I would buy your cables if dependability is critical. But solder skills are a great thing to have.

You will hear a lot of marketing cable hype that is pure BS.

one of my Teles came with an Electrosocket installed, which I prefer...

http://www.thornguitars.com/images/jr90pics/jack.jpg

I've been meaning to put one in the other Tele, but my tech guy just did something to draw the jack out a little more in the cup so I can use a right angle cord.

Also, check with your local music store for the cable. Most larger music stores will carry it on spools and you buy the number of feet that you need. Then, just solder them together and you are good to go.

Unfortunately, I don't have a store near me (I live in the upper peninsula of Michigan, and there's not a good store within a couple of hours' drive) Does anyone know of an online dealer that sells cable like that?

Unfortunately, I don't have a store near me (I live in the upper peninsula of Michigan, and there's not a good store within a couple of hours' drive) Does anyone know of an online dealer that sells cable like that?

Yup. Markertek.com. There might be a minimum amount of footage required, but they have everything under the sun in electronics parts.

Scott Fraser

I don't have any need for cables over 15' to 20' - but as Larryz noted, sometimes the price difference for another 10' of a quality brand cable is only $5 - so I keep a few Switchcraft plugs on hand and make up jumper / patch / pedal cables from the "excess" trimmed off the longer ones.
TimberWolf

Archived