Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recording Issues

BASSIST

Here's the set-up..... Passive Warwick bass to input on Rocktron blue thunder; Right speaker out from blue thunder to effects return on Ampeg, DI/XLR to line in on focusrite audio interface. What is wrong? I get no signal on the DAW!!! Do I need a power source between the XLR out-put to the interface? I'm trying to set-up to record 2 channels with my bass; 1 direct signal and 1 mic signal..... How do I do that?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which Ampeg? Is the DI coming out of the Ampeg, or a separate DI. I would use a separate passive DI of good quality - like Radial, plug the Bass into that and loop out into the amp, then Mic the amp and run your XLR from the DI. If the DI is coming out of the amp could it be that it is PRE-effects return? So by going into the effects return you're entering the signal chain AFTER the DI?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

It's a Micro VR... Yes, the Direct out is from the back of the amp head. It says it's a direct out, so I wouldn't think its for a return signal. I'm new to this recording stuff... Shouldn't I use an Active DI for a passive bass? So if i'm using the XLR out from the Ampeg; I would have to plug in to the line in on the Ampeg to get a signal from the XLR?

Whoops. I accidentally deleated my post. My previous advice unfortunately won't do you any good. I took a look at the micro VR manual and the balanced output isn't a regular DI. Not set up at all like my pf-500. Sorry my bad.

If you look at the schematic in the manual the effects send/return is behind the balanced output so your signal is bypassing it. For this to possibly work you may have to plug your effects into the input of the amp. Still not sure it will work as these balanced outs can run pretty hot and could overload your board.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Archived