Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Harry Weinger and Questlove Unpack "What's Going On"

Jazz+

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, I love this kind of thing!

Listening to the individual tracks (as in parts, not songs) is fascinating - you can listen and appreciate the music in an entirely new light.

And thanks to the internet there are a number of classic albums available in their original multi-track master format!

Thanks for posting!

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

This became an NYU class. ?uestlove and Weinger covered Sly & The Family Stone (Stand!, There's A Riot Goin' On), Aretha Franklin (Lady Soul), Led Zeppelin (IV), Prince (Dirty Mind), Michael Jackson (Off The Wall), and the Beastie Boys (Paul's Boutique). They brought in Ad-Rock and Mike D for "Paul's Boutique".

Wow, I'd absolutely love to see those - any more info Mark?

I just remembered reading about the class last year when it was announced for the NYU Spring 2013 semester. I don't think there are any videos from the class. Here's a related video of a NYU discussion between ?uestlove and David Byrne. It's long and I haven't yet watched it start to finish.

[video:youtube]

Man, I love this ....

And thanks to the internet there are a number of classic albums available in their original multi-track format...

That sound interesting, could you provide some pointers ?

I find the music from the first example moving, even with the not overly pleasing monitoring, and wonder where the "extra" and effects tracks are..

I'll make sure tonight I'll trade in some TV for the Birne/Questlove talk.

T.V.

Archived