Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

P Bass Day!

Wally Malone

My EBMM Stingray has been sold and many of you know I was looking to add a P Bass to the family. I went over to Guitar Showcase to get a box to ship the Stingray and looked at the P Basses there. I lucked out and found a new Fender Antigua P Bass that looks and plays great. It also has a maple board which I was looking for since none of my current basses have this. After going over 25 years without a Fender or a passive bass the P Bass joins the fretted and fretless Fender Jazz basses. Timing is everything since Fender was knocking $50 off of their basses and today was the last day and in addition the store had an extra 10% off for the holiday.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know, see what I can do but busy tonight. By the way, I was too busy playing it to take pictures and this bass brought me back to my 70's & 80's P Bass and all the funk I played when I had it. This neck feels exactly like it.

Wally

Best of luck with this alleged bass Wally!

The Antigua finish is very visually striking. I hope her tone matched her looks.

Everybody needs a good Precision Bass. Here's mine:

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt232/kenfxj/PB01.jpg

Push the button Frank.

Playing this bass brings back the sound and feel of my P Bass I sold in 1986 when I bought my Kubicki. Maple boards visually & sonically really work for me. I could see where this bass could jump to the front of the line in many situations.

Wally

I have a giant Raptor as real as this bass. (I also have no pic of it)

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

It leans towards a green tint of sorts. Lady likes it Willie. I'll be keeping the rounds on for a while since they sound good. I may try some flats down the line. The way this bass plays I see it moving to the front of the line.

Wally

• 11 months later...

Well a year after purchase it will be used on a gig for the first time on September 6 with Rumours, Tribute to Fleetwood Mac at a festival in Tracey, California. I got this bass on Labor Day last year. This is my lightest bass and for a two hour show I'm sure it will make that day easier.

Wally

I had already bought my P and J right before those Antigua models came out, but I remember them catching my eye and thinking those would be good buys for someone who hadn't yet bought a good quality P or J yet. I didn't know they were still available as it was a limited run. Glad you nabbed one!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

My timing was good as stated in the thread starter with discounts on the final day from Fender and the store owner letting the sales staff know they could give an extra 10% on that Labor Day. This, and I had just sold my MM Stingray and had the dollars.

Wally

I have a 92 Peavey fury Pbass copy and its really pretty (white/blk pg and maple board). No one notices or says anything when I sneak that in on a gig either. Sounds like a pbass so its all good. Plus its barely over 8lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

I used the P at the rehearsal last night for the gig on Saturday. This bass is a good fit for this gig. I'm going take both my Accugroove cabs, the Tri112L and the Wedgie and at sound check just try the Wedgie alone to see if it satisfies me and if not I'll have the Tri112L behind and just plug in. This is an outdoor gig so I most likely will end up using both cabs.

Wally

I ended up using both cabs, the Tri112L behind me and the Wedgie in front. This was one of the best sound crews we have worked with in a while and the band sounded good. This was the first gig for the P and had compliments from the whole band on my sound yesterday.

Wally

I think that we are now past the pictures of new basses phase of history, with all the technology now we should be getting a video rundown!!!

+1!!!!

(Oh wait. That means I have to go record a video. Crud...)

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

Archived