Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Px-5S - Any dissenters?

Six-string-man

I don't want to post a negative thread, but let's face it, no-one has ever made the perfect keyboard, SO...has anyone here bought a PX-5S and sent it back (and if so, why?), or has anyone bought one, kept it, and been unhappy/had doubts about it?

BTW, if you've bought one and love the bones off it, it would be great to hear from you too!

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm obviously a big fan, but IIRC, there was at least one or two people who said that it didn't work for them in either the BIG PX-5S thread or the thread that had reviews. I think it was the latter. I'm sorry that I don't remember their reason.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

no-one has ever made the perfect keyboard

Highly debatable. :snax:

Do tell! What's perfect for one leave someone else totally unmoved.

http://the-word-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/worms.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I would like a control pedal input as would everyone, and would like some mod destinations added for individual zone control, which I intend to lobby for.

Other than that, one can always wish that this sound or that sound was included.

But it is an awesome combination of playable action, light weight, very good midi control, and great sounds. I've made it the center of my rig.

Moe

---

Casio has made a great keyboard. However, for various reasons it doesn't work for me in my current setup/gig.

I don't know if that's really a "dissent."

Perfect is so very subjective, as others have mentioned.

The PX-5s plays great and I do like the feel of the keys. Unfortunately, there are some technical things that prevent me from using it right now. That doesn't mean it's not a great keyboard.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

It's a stunning value, with many indisputable virtues, but I just couldn't stand wincing every time I played a bunch of AP notes about an octave above middle C, so it went back (well, actually forward, but same thing).

With improved AP samples and broader dynamics for the EPs it would have been a definite keeper for me, even though I don't need too much in the way of synth stuff these days. Keys, action, response, weight, panel controls, and "amplifiability" are all just great.

http://the-word-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/worms.jpg

LOL!!!!!

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

It's a stunning value, with many indisputable virtues, but I just couldn't stand wincing every time I played a bunch of AP notes about an octave above middle C, so it went back.

I was on vacation and had very little computer time for a while... and when I came back, the two Casio PX-5S threads had grown so large that I couldn't even deal with reading them. So I'm a little out of the loop on this one. I keep figuring I'll get back to them one day. ;-)

I was originally going to buy a PX-350 to use as nothing but a controller. I didn't like the sound, but I liked the action, and figured I'd MIDI it up to something with a good piano sound, and even feed that sound back into its internal speakers for the visceral feedback I like from a piano board with speakers. But just when I was about to do that, the PX-5S was announced, so I figured I'd trade-off the speakers for all the MIDI functionality, and the good chance that it would have more useful internal sounds as well. I was following the comments here and elsewhere enough to know that many other people found the Casio pianos as "plunky" as I did, but also saw that Mike Martin had posted numerous suggestions (and I think alternate piano sounds that could be downloaded at the Casio forum) that made use of the extensive editing capabilities of the PX-5S to address that. I take it that you didn't find them sufficiently helpful?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

My biggest regret with my PX-5S is that don't have enough spare time to really figure out all the possibilities with that keyboard. Maybe my critique is that this keyboard has too many hidden features.

I only get a new "big board" every 7-10 years, so I need to make sure it is something that will keep me engaged for a long time. I really want to improve my sound design skills, so with the ability to layer 14 sounds - each with their own envelopes and other parameters - the 5S will keep me interested long after the "honeymoon period" is over.

In response to the original question:

I agree with what others have stated - there is no such thing as a "perfect" board.... everyone has their own needs and preferences. That being said, for MY needs the PX-5S comes real close.

Keyboard action, piano sound, synthesizer sounds and programming, and MIDI controller function are all top-notch for my purposes.

Add to it the free and growing library of new sounds and arpeggios, the user support sites and the price tag.. makes perfect sense for me.

Just as a disclaimer of sorts: I don't think it's a great board because I run a PX-5S site and Facebook Group... I run a PX-5S site and Facebook Group BECAUSE I think it's a great board. :)

I was following the comments here and elsewhere enough to know that many other people found the Casio pianos as "plunky" as I did, but also saw that Mike Martin had posted numerous suggestions (and I think alternate piano sounds that could be downloaded at the Casio forum) that made use of the extensive editing capabilities of the PX-5S to address that. I take it that you didn't find them sufficiently helpful?

There are some really useful, ready-made variations of the piano sounds for download, and they can be particularly helpful when mating the board to existing amplification setups. However, they cannot totally disguise the core samples, and I didn't want to go to the length of trying to replace the most affected samples with stretched and tuned versions from other regions.

What I've noticed from the main threads is that those who are seeking a lightweight board to cover many different sonic requirements generally love this board, while those with primarily a piano focus are a little more critical of that aspect. It's a fine line, though, as the sound/action connection is great, as well as the clarity of the samples. A lot depends on style of playing.

Easy... the Hammond B3...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

The only two things I would like to see in this board are 9 sliders and an expression pedal input.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

interesting to hear people complain about the piano sound on the px5s.....I've been searching for "the" piano sound for live use for years, and I've tried a TON of stuff: Yammie P90, S90, various Kurzweil boxes, GEM Pro1 and RPx, even hauling my computer with GIGASTUDIO loaded with various pianos, white grand, black grand, several bosendorfer samples, Vintaudio C7, etc, etc. The Px5s is the first piano sample I've used live that really works for me, and is actually inspiring to play. Different strokes I guess...

I might be the only person who finds the PX-5S action too heavy and fatiguing. For that reason alone, it's a no go for me.

I'm very surprised to hear this. It honestly has been the lack of fatigue that so many pro players have switched to Casio. Joe Sample, Michael Boddicker and others have all commented specifically about this.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

It takes a little time to acclimatize to a new action. I did not find the action at all fatiguing, and it was certainly less strenuous a workout than my Roland FP-50. I still think that, for the overall weight of the board, the action (and key feel) is one of the PX-5S's best features. It certainly beats the Fatar TP100 in the similarly lightweight Numa Piano and Electro HP (also the same action as in the Kurzweil Artis, unfortunately IMO).

I am in no way a 'pro' player but I do find the action of the PX-5S inspiring to play. Much like I would expect a 'real piano' to be. It had been so long since I've played an instrument with real touch that I have to say it does tire my fingers a bit. But, after playing and practicing on it for a couple of months, it is becoming easier to deal with. I'll have to admit that I played three nights in a row this past weekend and a couple of the digits are a bit sore but nothing I can't deal with. My problem is the same as Ekewaka's, not enough time with it to find out everything it will do but I'll have at least a week and a half to explore before the band I'm in gets back to practice.

No dissention here!

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

I might be the only person who finds the PX-5S action too heavy and fatiguing. For that reason alone, it's a no go for me.

I'm very surprised to hear this. It honestly has been the lack of fatigue that so many pro players have switched to Casio. Joe Sample, Michael Boddicker and others have all commented specifically about this.

Sorry, Mike. It's not for a lack of trying. I've previously owned a PX-120 and CDP-120 and I just can't get with the weight of the Privia action -- it's just too heavy for me. Admittedly, I'm mostly playing Rhodes and synths these days, and my finger strength and dexterity is nowhere close to the cats you mentioned. By way of comparison, the action on the Yamaha CP1/CP5 suits me much better.

I've previously owned a PX-120 and CDP-120 and I just can't get with the weight of the Privia action -- it's just too heavy for me.

That's interesting. The PX-310 was no problem for me, but I sold a later PX-320 because the action was causing physical distress. The PX-330 that replaced it was, again, no problem. I also had a CDP-120 for a short while, and found that harder work than the PX-5S. I don't know how much difference there is between the various Casio actions, but I understood that the PX-x50 and PX-5S have certain physical differences from their forbears - although to what extent I have no idea.

My PX-500L action was better than my PX-310. My PX-310 action was better than my PX-3 action. I like the PX-5S at least better than the PX-310 and PX-3. Haven't had a chance to really compare it to the PX-500L. Though the PX-500L wasn't good as a straight MIDI controller because it was difficult-to-impossible to get velocity 127 out of it.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I am not a dissenter - I haven't even seen one in the stores yet.

But I am concerned that the plunkiness issue could be addressed before I vote with my dollar. I would like to hear more about how that is going for some of the users.

I also wish that Casio would take the drawbar organ sounds a bit more seriously. Look at how important that is to most of us. Maybe we could add a second controller for those kinds of sounds and have it covered in the future.

Still, I can imagine that someday my board might be a Casio. A lot of reps could learn a thing or two from Mike Martin's committment and involvement. When I talked to him at the "Red Key Lounge" at NAMM he was all about the Casio. I find that refreshing.

I still hope to hear one in a store near me soon. This is the longest I have had to wait to see a board from a major company in recent memory.

Sorry, Mike. It's not for a lack of trying. I've previously owned a PX-120 and CDP-120 and I just can't get with the weight of the Privia action -- it's just too heavy for me. Admittedly, I'm mostly playing Rhodes and synths these days, and my finger strength and dexterity is nowhere close to the cats you mentioned. By way of comparison, the action on the Yamaha CP1/CP5 suits me much better.

I too gave up on the PX5s action after using it on a couple of rehearsals and gigs. As an old guy dealing with the onset of tedonitis (inflamed tendon sheath at the base of both thumbs) I prefer the action of my old Roland FP2 and the RD-300 GX (circa 2009) that's replacing it. I've always been more comfortable with light piano action, perhaps because I grew up on an old upright that was really easy to play. I do miss the PX-5s features I gave up to get the Roland GX, but at the end of the day, it's the way a piano plays that makes me feel inspired, not the flexibility of its user interface.

I prefer the action of my old Roland FP2 and the RD-300 GX

Are those two the same? I remember liking the FP2 and not really caring for the RD-300GX. But I'm not sure how much that counts for... ;-)

Archived