Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord C2D or Crumar Mojo?

gsringoen

Should I buy the Nord C2D or the Mojo, for the B3 experience?

C2D has 2 sets of drawbars (4drawbars), but the mojo has 2.

I am not after the el-piano sounds in the mojo, but I like the look alot!

Im thinking of buying a leslie 3300 to go with one of them, for the real leslie sound! All responds is appreciated! thanks - GS

Nordpaino HA88 | Nord electro3 | Roland Lx10-f | Crumar Mojo | Leslie 3300 | Hammond A-100 | Leslie 147 |

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

General consensus is that the Mojo is the better sounding organ. The main reason to go for the Nord is for the 4 sets of drawbars, though it also has the Leslie connector that might be relevant to you since you're thinking of buying a real Leslie. Other than that, it weighs slightly less (presumably not an issue for someone even thinking about traveling with a Leslie), and at least here in the U.S., better locally available service/support.

Check this article:

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/dual-manual-madness/149647

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I absolutely love my Mojo. It is just a blast to play. I haven't found only 2 sets of drawbars to be a limitation (though, I would feel limited with just 1, like on the SK series). The controls are all logically laid out and easy to get to.

I'm sure the Nord is a quality instrument too. I don't think either would be a bad decision.

The 3300 has Jack connections, so It should work with the Mojo? Do I just turn the Mojo leslie on "stop" if I plug it inn the leslie, so I dont get doubled up on leslie?

The half moon switch, doesnt work on the leslie if I dont use a 11 pin cable? Is there any good alternatives to halfmoon? A foot switch comes with the leslie I think, or it could be baught. But if I use pedals, isnt that a bit of a mess? - GS

Nordpaino HA88 | Nord electro3 | Roland Lx10-f | Crumar Mojo | Leslie 3300 | Hammond A-100 | Leslie 147 |

The 3300 has Jack connections, so It should work with the Mojo? Do I just turn the Mojo leslie on "stop" if I plug it inn the leslie, so I dont get doubled up on leslie?

No, you disable the internal sim entirely if you are running thru an external leslie. Easy to do from the front panel.

Moe

---

The 3300 has Jack connections, so It should work with the Mojo?

Yes. But you'd have to use the 3300's controls rather than the Mojo's controls for fast/slow/brake.

Do I just turn the Mojo leslie on "stop" if I plug it inn the leslie, so I dont get doubled up on leslie?

Bypass.

Is there any good alternatives to halfmoon? A foot switch comes with the leslie I think, or it could be baught. But if I use pedals, isnt that a bit of a mess? - GS

I actually prefer a footswitch, because I can't always spare a hand.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The half moon switch, doesnt work on the leslie if I dont use a 11 pin cable? Is there any good alternatives to halfmoon? A foot switch comes with the leslie I think, or it could be baught. But if I use pedals, isnt that a bit of a mess? - GS

It is still better to control the leslie through the amphenol connector. It is a cleaner setup to be able to control the leslie's from the organ's deck.

The 3300's overdrive is very good. It makes up for the Nord's weak overdrive. The Nord has nice Italian organ emulations also. If you are going to use the 3300 all the time then it comes down to what organ layout you like best. If you think you may go san leslie then the Mojo maybe be measurably superior. But both are have their strengths and weaknesses IMO ..... But I don't play clones so take that for what it is worth.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I guess price doesn't matter to the OP? Because last I checked, the Mojo was way less money. If that's not a factor, more power to you.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

When I demoed the Nord C2D at NAMM,there were several percussion overtones on 3rd harmonic that were noticeably loud.

You can really hear it when slow decay is used.

I am also still not clear as to whether things like percussion decay time and percussion colume are adjustable on the Nord.

From what I understand,the Mojo is quite adjustable. This is a huge factor if you will be playing through different speakers with different response curves.

There is a dealer close to me that sells used Leslie's, with guarantees so they do work. I live in norway, and there is a rule that when i buy things like music equipment I have ha guarantee for 3 years. If any system failure, that I didn't cause, it will be reappeared by the seller (short version).

So, he has some used 145 for example. I have very little experience with Leslie's. Is that a good choice? Its almost 1/4 cheaper then a new 3300?

(Great responses! thank you everyone, its my first time using this forum. cheers)

Sure it is a great choice. From a maintenance and road handling point of view I prefer solid state leslies. ( I am of a very minority opinion on this)

The 3300 is my favorite road leslie but the 145 is a great choice for traditional all tube leslie. Many here would probably most prefer the 145 over the 3300. You will need a way to connect it. With the Mojo you need a Speakeasy or a TrekII Universal preamp pedal.

The Nord would be easier because you could just get a get a connector kit adapter.

http://hammondorganco.com/products/accessories-a-parts/accessories/adapters/1147-leslie-connector-adapter-11-pin-organs-to-147a-leslie/

So the 145 is not road friendly?

Is there are huge sound difference in 11 pin cable, and jack x2 connected to for example the 3300 ? - GS

Yes. kind of. It isn't as bullet proof or as friendly as the 3300. Tubes can go bad because you are knocking the Leslie around. It is harder cabinet to handle up stairs and such. It is an older piece of equipment. You will eventualy have to do some sort of field repair. Stock Jensen horn drivers don't hold up as well if you play a lot of loud overdriven rock stuff. I used to immediatley put Atlas PD-60s in mine. A 3300 is light, it only weighs 125 pound. I can carry it all by myself. I would have to have help to carry a 145. You hope you don't need to 'carry' it but there are times you have to. The 145's weight is probably about the same but my arms are not long enough. The 145 is a 40 watt amp. Should be enough unless you play in a loud rock band. The 3300 will melt your face off if you want it to.

The 145 is a lowboy. It is more friendly than a 122 which is what I used to haul around.

None of this stuff is overly friendly. If you gig now just make a mindful asessment of all the regular gigs you play what places have stairs and how wide are the stairs what narrow doorways there are etc... and think ahead to what you have to look forward to. LOL

It isn't that bad. It is usually worth it.

Haha! Gotta look out for my back, and stairs ;) ! Maybe that extra money isn't to bad, when considering maintenance or repair, and of course the weight!

Is halfmoon switch a biggie/must? or is a foot switch something I will regret choosing ? because I guess there is some work to do to get the halfmoon switch working with a leslie (3300) ?

Is there are huge sound difference in 11 pin cable, and jack x2 connected to for example the 3300 ? - GS

I don't know. I only use the leslie cable. My guess is it would sound the same.

The main advantage with the standard amphenol connection is I can control the lesle from the organ's leslie controls, I do not need extraneous stuff. I can control the speed from the expression pedal kick switch that plugs into the organ. Or I can control it from a Hammond halfmoon that plus into the Organ or I can use the stock controls on the front pannel. It is a more integrated package than messing with preamp pedals or speaker foot switches and what not.

I don't know jack about Nord's control layouts. I have never played a Nord. I play Hammonds.

It is all about the interface with me. Because that is what I am actually playing.

Haha! Gotta look out for my back, and stairs ;) ! Maybe that extra money isn't to bad, when considering maintenance or repair, and of course the weight!

Is halfmoon switch a biggie/must? or is a foot switch something I will regret choosing ? because I guess there is some work to do to get the halfmoon switch working with a leslie (3300) ?

If you have never played a Hammond you probably won't regret anything. You have no frame of reference to really compare it to.

Personally I like using a kick switch that is on the expression pedal. I don't know if Nord has anything like that. There are times I use the button on the front panel if my right foot is on the piano sustain pedal. That happens sometimes because my left foot can be on a expression pedal that controls my synths. To my far left is another footswitch on my pedalboard to control the leslie speed if I need it. They all do the same thing and send singals to the leslie through the 11-pin. I don't think you can do that with a preamp pedal.

The weight of the 145 is about the same but the cabinet dimenision I think are a little bigger around. A 145 is a great cabinet and it looks bitchin'. I am not trying to talk you out of it. You just have to decide what it important and weigh the options. Just the Mojo and no Leslie cabinet at all sounds great they say. But I haven't played one of those either. I just know the 3300.

I see. Im really grateful for you time and help! The dream would probably be a portable B3 in my eyes ! but I think im getting a mojo, and a 3300, and that should last a little while or so ;) - GS

I would also have to vote for the Mojo, it sounds and feels just a bit more authentic.. Unlike some previous comments I don't mind the C2d overdrive, but I really think that overdrive is the weak point of every clone.. I owned a C2 with the C2d OS installed and I wasn't fussy about the percussion tone.. It lost the woodiness that I liked and became more bell-like.

I think the mojo sounds and plays better. The Mojo has also become more attractive now a there is a new focal point for North American service, Ken Hall up here in Kingston Ontario. So if you have a problem with your Mojo here in NA, its much easier to get support and service now.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Although i can understand why you want to use a leslie with the Mojo, have you actually listened to the Mojo's internal sim as compared to a tube leslie? You might just change your mind about needing a real leslie. Listen to this with good earphones:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O_l5fY1QoYo

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Great video! have seen that one and its really impressive how good the leslie´s simulations are these days, but I think the main thing or purpose of having a real leslie is learning how to use it stagewise for me, and my teacher at the music school I go to says that the leslie is almost an instrument in itself? something like that, that I should really consider buying a real leslie and get to now it, and I dont have an amp or PA. even though its much cheaper with an amp. But its nice to just have a leslie if u are playing a trio? Dunno

But is there a market for leslie´s? So if I buy a leslie (probably 3300), could I sell it on ? I wouldn't think that a leslie drops that much in price like the keyboards does these days after a couple of years?

There is nothing like moving air with a real Leslie. That said, the consensus around here at least is that the Leslie simulator (sim) in the Mojo is one of the best you can get right now. I would consider your situation before jumping ahead and getting the 3300 or another real Leslie. Do you have room for it, can you transport it to gigs, is there room on stage for it, etc. You can start with the sim in whatever clone you buy and you can always add a real Leslie later if you want.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived