Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I need a Keyboard for Top 40 Music!

Nu2Keys

I use a NE2 in my blues band, but I need something different for the rock/top 40 band I also play with....something with synth, strings, and horn sounds, but....I don't want to spend a lot of money, either....any suggestions?

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kurz PC1x.

Great "organic" sounds and can be found pretty inexpensively.

One drawback is there is no sequencer and a lot of the modern music utilizes sequencing.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

What's your budget?

You could always buy a Yamaha MX61 or Korg Kross 61... both sell for $699. Both come with plenty of the sounds you are looking for and are lightweight, although they have cheaper keybeds.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

something with synth, strings, and horn sounds, but....I don't want to spend a lot of money

There are plenty of options. As Synthoid kind of said, people draw the "lot of money" line in different places. But in the lowest price range, the Yamaha MX is probably also the first one I'd look at (49 or 61). Another inexpensive board I'd look at would be the Casio XW-P1, especially if you want more flexibility on the synth side.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Another inexpensive board I'd look at would be the Casio XW-P1, especially if you want more flexibility on the synth side.

Definitely. I bought one last Spring and it's been a fun board to play with. I was actually waiting for the OP to post his budget before proceeding.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

used Yamaha MOX6 or 8, or Motif Classic or ES, used Kurzweil PC1 would be worth checking into, and used Korg M50 may be worthy of consideration. All these in addition to the ones already mentioned.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Archived