Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just Got a Pair of ElectroVoice ZLX 12-P Powered Monitors

HammondDave

I have bought a number of speakers, and I always notice an odor of "newness" in the car when I first put new speaker in car... the thing is, I did not notice an odor with the zlx

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I must say, I am very impressed! They sound almost as good as my old EV SXA360's... Very even sound from a whisper to ear shattering SPL's... Pianos, Hammonds, Mellotrons, Transitor organs, Drums, Guitars, Voices, etc.. all sound great.

And you can't beat the price... $399 MAP... but I got the pair for significantly less through Pro Audio Star. You can give them an offer and they just may accept it! They did with me...

These are definitely QSC killers! Sold my K10 and will not look back. In fact, I sold one used K10 and it almost paid for both of these two new EV's!

I took your advice and purchased a pair of EV ZLX12p. I sold my

EV SXa250s to finance the deal. Did love the 250s, just too heavy for me to carry at this point. Now if I could only decide on that new keyboard!!

Paul

I just bought a new ZLX12P last week, and thus far I'm quite impressed. Everything sounds clean through it, and it gets LOUD. I mean LLOOUUD!!. Hammond, EP's, synths, clav, 'Tron, all sound great, even the Kurzweil pianos. I've been taking my bass rig, an Acme B210 and a QSC power amp, to the gigs I play LH bass on, but I think I won't have to with the ZLX, I have a rehearsal tonight, so we'll see.

Oh yeah, no skunk smell, but I live in Oregon, so my nose might be blunted in that spectrum...

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I have only used 3 sets of powered speakers.

K10s

Behringers B212Ds

EV ZX-A1s

Before that I was using a stupid big set of 3 way pasive cabinets.

The 12s sucked. They were so muddy around 125hz. I've been scared to try 12s again.

Good to read that not all 12s suck. Just the Behringers. LOL

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I've got Yorkville NX55Ps - powered 12s. I like 'em just fine, am currently using one as my "keyboard amp", with the EQ set flat. They sound very ... uncoloured ... to me.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Yeah... Loud and even is the key... These speakers achieve just that... and are only $330 street!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I'm originally from Oregon, so I don't think that's it!

Actually, at rehearsal last night, which was the first time I really had the speaker loud for a sustained time, I did notice a little skunkiness after a while. The speaker sounded great though. We rehearse at a unit where a friend of mine, who owns the best local sound company, stores his systems, and we are lucky enough that we get to rehearse through one of his smaller systems, a 4-way setup with 4 Bag End subs. I normally run my setup direct into the PA, but last night I just ran through the EV. It sounded awesome, and totally filled the room, and the rest of the band didn't believe that I wasn't in the PA. The only real difference I noticed was that the EV didn't have the extreme lows of the PA, otherwise, it was loud, clear and sounded great!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Just went down to Guitar Center and picked me up one of these. I made them hook up their lone SK1 to it so I could demo it. Bass for days but the top end was a shade muffled until I tweaked the SKs EQ and some settings on the EV. I was impressed -- thing could get LOUD and again it had plenty of bass. I can't wait to crank it up at home tomorrow (too late to now).

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I'm originally from Oregon, so I don't think that's it!

Actually, at rehearsal last night, which was the first time I really had the speaker loud for a sustained time, I did notice a little skunkiness after a while. The speaker sounded great though. We rehearse at a unit where a friend of mine, who owns the best local sound company, stores his systems, and we are lucky enough that we get to rehearse through one of his smaller systems, a 4-way setup with 4 Bag End subs. I normally run my setup direct into the PA, but last night I just ran through the EV. It sounded awesome, and totally filled the room, and the rest of the band didn't believe that I wasn't in the PA. The only real difference I noticed was that the EV didn't have the extreme lows of the PA, otherwise, it was loud, clear and sounded great!

Note to all: in my opinion, extreme lows are overrated, as are subs, and a little goes a long way!

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Being pleased with the sound is important. However be careful to dig a flattering sound change too much: even a well working tube amp and Leslie bore quickly, neutrality ofte gets the furthest in the way of sound reproduction.

Bass tones have to emanate mangled from these types of enclosures, that's almost like the laws of physics, so: fine if the user is satizfied, but Iv heard some EV pole speakers which annoyed the cr_p ut of me, so, sorry to say, I can't help but internally normalizing these products mainly to the weight and ease parameters, but feel free to record some neutralish demo, maybe technology has advanced !

T

I got my 2 new EV ZLX12p's yesterday and gave them a quick spin last night at home. I used my Kronos direct into the inputs of the EVs. Set them on the "Music" & "Monitor" settings and away I went. All I can say is that they are everything that I could possibly have hoped for. They are pure and clean and WAY LOUD!

At 12:00 on the speaker volume and maybe 1/3 volume on the Kronos they were quite loud. I imagine with the proper patch selection and bit more volume, they could double as paint peelers. I now have a new weapon against those guitarists :)

Oh yea, there is no smell to them either.

Paul

Set them on the "Music" & "Monitor" settings and away I went.

Yeah what settings are you guys using on yours? I find that 'Music' has a little bit more bass than 'live'.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I use Monitor as well...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I am not setup in my small room to even look at settings.

So far we have Monitor, Live, and Music? Is that correct? I recall one setting (I did not note the name- circumstance of the gig did not make it feasible) gave me no bass at all.

• 6 months later...
I'm now the proud owner of a pair of all 3....ELX112p,ZXA-1,ZLX12P. I have stumbled on all of them in excellent condition either in 2nd hand shops or CL. I'm doing a Nord Stage 2/Privia PX-5S thing, and also a Line 6 HD500x thing. They all have their good and bad. I may just keep them all.....but, if you have an interest in any of them message me.

• 2 months later...

Just got mine delivered yesterday. At that price point I wouldn't be surprised if half of powered speakers sold will be this model. Got them through ProAudioStar as well. Thanks HammonDave.

Hopefully I will post some thoughts after I get a chance to listen.

Yamaha S90XS, Studiologic VMk-161 Organ

Small/powerful (i7, 32GB, M.2 SSD) PC controlled by 10" Touch Screen

Cantabile, Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, OPX-II, Omnisphere 2, VB3, Chris Hein Horns, etc.

One Year Later -

A real workhorse that has never let me down. I use one of these as the sole speaker for my 5 piece group's practice PA. I also use this as my keys amp for another band I'm in...as well as my amp/monitor for keys and guitar in my main group.

Definitely getting my $$'s worth!

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

I'm running one as my keyboard wedge...my synth/piano can finally keep up with my Leslie. First one I got had a noisy XLR out...Banjo Depot exchanged it without a fuss. Second one has been working well. I'll add a second at some point...darn good powered speaker for the $$.

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

The guitar player in my Floyd band uses one. He has a mixer that he runs 3 guitars thru- acoustic, lap steel and electric, with an effects unit and a guitar synth wired in there too. The EV sounds really nice with his setup. I've run my keys thru it, it sounds nice. I don't think I'd get rid of my K10 for one but if I were in the market for a powered monitor, this would be a strong contender for the price to performance aspect.

My drummer in the other band just bought the ELX115P's to replace our older Mackie Thumps as our tops, what a huge difference.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Just did a blues bar gig where the house PA crapped out and the singer didn't bring her pa. I was using one keyboard going into my 112P with no mixer so all I could do was plug her XLR mic cable into the first input and my keys into the second.

I was surprised at how good it sounded with no mixer to adjust anything. I had to move the speaker off to the side because her vocals were blasting me off my seat yet my keyboard sounded clear although I did back off a bit. I keep the sub out switch on so the bass isn't overpowering.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

My verdict after 30 minute listening comparison. If money were no object I would rate these speakers a solid 7/10. If money is factored in (and it always is), the ZLX's are an 11 out of 10.

Currently I am just plugging into the PA (either my drummers PA in one band, or my lead singers/guitar players PA in other band). But at home I do have a very non portable PA system which consists of 20+ year old equipment (this was my only comparison):

1) A 300 watt per channel Ramsa WP-9220 amp. Good amp, build like a boat anchor and probably weighs 50 lbs.

2) The speakers are 15" "Community" brand CS-35 full range speakers, which also don't sound too bad, but are also bulky and heavy.

My first comparison had me a little disappointed, because for piano, the Community speakers have greater warmth. They literally sound more piano like. I was playing pianoteq 4 through the system. The Community speakers have a wood box and typical carpet like exterior, plus they were on the ground while the ELX 12p's were on poles. But the ZLX's sound more plasticy. So for piano sounds the 20 year old Community Speakers where clear winners. The Piano actually sounds pretty life like, through the Communitys, like there is a wood piano in front of me.

I played a bunch of other instruments through the ZLX and they sounded quite comparable to the 15" Community's. Where the plastic vs. wood sound was not as distinguishable.

Then I compared how playing some MP3 music files through the speakers, and ZLX's actually sounded like they had a little more presence (maybe because they were higher up). Sure it would be nice to do a side by side with all of the other contenders. JBL - PRX7, EV ELX, SONY, and QSC. But what the hell they are all twice the price. Maybe some of the contenders are better, but probably not twice as good.

Maybe someday, when I have spare $3,000 - $5,000 to spend on high end audiophile quality stuff, I will go to town. Until then the ZLX's will do just fine.

And the extra money will be better spent on piano lessons.

Yamaha S90XS, Studiologic VMk-161 Organ

Small/powerful (i7, 32GB, M.2 SSD) PC controlled by 10" Touch Screen

Cantabile, Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, OPX-II, Omnisphere 2, VB3, Chris Hein Horns, etc.

I abandoned my QSCs for the EVs for the sound improvement. The cheaper price was a bonus.

Same here... I was actually disappointed with the QSC's... But remember, I was used to the EV SXA 360's, which I foolishly sold. The ZLX 12P's are almost as good as the SXA's, and 1/3 the price.

agitato, I bought the ZLX'x last year. Got a buzz (of the sound variety) when playing EP's at low volumes. Took them back to GC and listened to various EV's QSC's and Yamaha's side-by-side using a Kronos with a variety of sounds. Floor model ZLX's buzzed too. IMO, the Yamaha's were the best overall sounding speakers. Nonetheless, I decided to keep my ZLX's as the value/performance point was still the best and, playing in a rock band, not much low volume EP need. If $ was not a consideration, I would have swapped them for the Yamahas though.

Agitato both the ZLX and the Yammy's sound 'good'. It comes down to what tonal balance you prefer. If you are on a budget there is no better value than the ZLX, otherwise you would need to AB them side by side to see which you prefer.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Archived