Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just Got a Pair of ElectroVoice ZLX 12-P Powered Monitors

HammondDave

Price aside, which sounds better for piano and keys, dxr10 or zlx-12p?

Good question. These EVs look awfully tempting at that price.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I picked up a single EV 15 ZLX. I will compare it to my K10 and to my jbl eon G2 15. It has DSP similar to the new Line 6 "line" of powered speakers. Pole mount, monitor, music, speech, treble, bass. etc. I listened to speech on it after gig yesterday. it was outside, and the male voice sounded excellent. There are two positions for the handles.. made for single hand.

No odor in my car on a hot day. If the odor shows up. I will report it

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

My question would be: what do these powered speakers SMELL like?!!

I have an ELX112P that sounds great, but has always smelled like a mix of skunk / weed. When it's in a hot car or just turned on on stage for a few hours, it can get a bit annoying. After a bit of research, it seems that other people have this problem, which would be caused by the grill cloth. After many months, the smell has barely started to go away. Anybody else on the forum had this problem??

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

Funky smell? Not my EV's... Maybe it's....

[video:youtube]

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

The zxa1's are grossly underpowered in comparison.

So then have the ZXA1's, given that they are more expensive than the ZLX12-P's, been complete superseded by them? Or do the ZXA1's still have some redeeming qualities that merit consideration over the ZLX12-P's?

I've been curious about this too. I have a ZXA1 and have been thinking about picking up a second, but the ZLX's look interesting.

I have to say, I like the weight of the ZXA1 and I really like the sound (at least compared to the other PA's I've tried, QSC and JBL). It also has enough power for my applications (light monitoring only, no FOH duties). So it sounds like the ZLX might not offer much to me in particular, and yet I'm still curious...

I have a ELX112P and it smells a little like weed when turned on. I sent the first one back since I thought there was something wrong with it. They said some smell more than others and they sent me back another which smells a lot less. They say it's due to the painted exterior cabinet coating - adhesive or something.

Sometimes I see our bass player will lean over it and take a whiff and say..."ah I like this speaker cabinet"

Nord electro 3 73, Casio Px-5s, Yamaha SY-85, A&H ZED FX mixer, 2 QSC K8.2s

OK..so I just went into the studio and smelled.... mmmmmmmmmm...... Is it the speakers? or is it....?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I was considering a pair of these, but I'd hate to get busted for my speakers. More ridiculous things have happened. Recently.

No officer, it's my speakers.

This reeks of something a little beyond subliminal advertising.

Wasn't there a car made of herb in a Cheech and Chong movie?

Be honest. Who's tried smoking their grill cloth?

--wmp

Dave

Why did you get rid of the SXa360 pair?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Dave

Why did you get rid of the SXa360 pair?

Why? Because I was an idiot for a day. One of the dumbest things I ever did.

They are nearly impossible to find used. I bought mine new for $1000 each. I sold them for $500 each, and they were in great condition. When I realized I made that mistake I started to look for replacements. EV had already discontinued them so I could not buy them new, and all the DJs and sound cats who owned them held onto them.

I just saw a pair go on ebay for $1100. These speakers are gold...

However, I must say that my new EVs sound pretty damn good as well. They weigh ten pounds less than the SXA360's, and they smell like pot... so what more could you want?

Hammonddave I tried the 15" version last night, ( there was ZERO NADA malodorous scent going on with this cabinet ) with my trusty old Eon 15" G2 on my other side. It sounds like a winner to me. Only little caveat, at the low volumes I was using it at, the bass on the Eon sounds more robust. I did not have a chance to play with the DSP settings on the EV.

DO you happen to know #1 IF there is a default setting after EV is cycled thru On and Off and back On? #2 If it DOES default back to original setting, do you know what that setting is? #3 Regarding Bass response: have you tried different settings, and if you were interested, did you bump the bass response up?

This thing is a winner, so far. While I am asking... the underside looks vulnerable , including the finish of the unit. Cases from EV, yes?

DId you try 15", if so, your thoughts on the 12 to 15 comparo?

Thank you Hammonddave for turning me/us. on to this well priced pwred speaker.

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Dave,

Very curious about your liking it more than the K10. There's been lots of keyboard guys saying the K10 made pianos sound good, which is one of the harder sounds for a speaker to do well. And in your experience the EVs clearly trump the K10s. This may speak more to the poor quality of speakers that they were comparing the K10s to.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Dave,

Very curious about your liking it more than the K10. There's been lots of keyboard guys saying the K10 made pianos sound good, which is one of the harder sounds for a speaker to do well. And in your experience the EVs clearly trump the K10s. This may speak more to the poor quality of speakers that they were comparing the K10s to.

The K10's sounded really nice on my Clonewheel. But I like the piano sound of the new EV better. Different sounds.. different speakers. Not one size fits all, I'm afraid!

Hammonddave I tried the 15" version last night, ( there was ZERO NADA malodorous scent going on with this cabinet ) with my trusty old Eon 15" G2 on my other side. It sounds like a winner to me. Only little caveat, at the low volumes I was using it at, the bass on the Eon sounds more robust. I did not have a chance to play with the DSP settings on the EV.

DO you happen to know #1 IF there is a default setting after EV is cycled thru On and Off and back On? #2 If it DOES default back to original setting, do you know what that setting is? #3 Regarding Bass response: have you tried different settings, and if you were interested, did you bump the bass response up?

This thing is a winner, so far. While I am asking... the underside looks vulnerable , including the finish of the unit. Cases from EV, yes?

DId you try 15", if so, your thoughts on the 12 to 15 comparo?

Thank you Hammonddave for turning me/us. on to this well priced pwred speaker.

I had a ZLX15p that I sent back and bought the ZLX12p to replace. The low end in the 15 I did not care for. The 12 sounds great!!.

Casio PX-5S...StudioLogic VMK 161 Organ Plus...

Yeah, I also preferred the 12. Plus they are lighter. Plus the 12's smell like my meds.... Like I said, my friend and I a/b'd these against K10's and they sounded much better for piano and organ!

I choose the monitor setting. That gives me the best bass response at low volumes.

I will never sell my EV SXa360s

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Yeah, I also preferred the 12. Plus they are lighter. Plus the 12's smell like my meds.... Like I said, my friend and I a/b'd these against K10's and they sounded much better for piano and organ!

I choose the monitor setting. That gives me the best bass response at low volumes.

I used the ZLX 15 tonight on a low volume gig and I had it set on the wrong settings.. I had NO BASS... later on I realized my error. This thing belongs on Monitor when it is a monitor. If you don't put it on Monitor, you will not like the lack of low end!!

I will never sell my EV SXa360s

Damn you! (Shakes fist in air)....

I had to sell my ELX 112Ps because of the odor.

I called and complained and was told it was the adhesive used.

Absolutely SKUNK !

I am looking at getting the new ZLX series.

They better had changed adhesives !

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

• 4 weeks later...

OK, just bought a pair of ZLX 12Ps today, love them! AND they don't have the characteristic aroma I've complained about in the past. I had GC unbox them and gave them the nasal appraisal. I know some of you think that's an added bonus (HD) but it always bothered me ( and the wife)

Believe me, I have loved and enjoyed the weedy aroma in my past :) but when it turns skunky I pass.......

I guess EV changed the adhesive finally.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Yeah... My speakers still have that smell... But it is going away. I will tell you one thing though.. they sounded incredible last night at my gig... And I had two guitar players that I had to play over... I had no problem, and they sounded great at high volume,

The smell is lessening on mine...funny thing is, no one else seems to notice it. I actually just purchased a guitar rack and am running it through the ZLX as well, true work horse
Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

In all seriousness, I had to jam my face right next to it yesterday to barely smell it. Someone not looking for it, won't detect it at this point. All that being said, it was worth the slight odor for a couple months...wasn't exactly gag inducing as much as interesting/odd.
Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

Archived