Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

sustain pedal died -

riro1

I've got a Privia px-110; sustain pedal is a casio and it's worked fine for years with it; for awhile I had to move it around in the jack to get it to work; now it doesn't work at all. Is it dead, or is there a way I can fix it - I'd rather not take it in for a repair if there's something simple I can do myself - I saw posts on sustain pedals but none with the issue of that it did work and now it doesn't - any help is appreciated. Keyboard still works fine except for the sustain.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
for awhile I had to move it around in the jack to get it to work; now it doesn't work at all.

Welcome to the Keyboard Corner, riro1!

You need to determine if the problem is with the pedal, the plug, or the jack.

You can do this with a volt-ohm meter. It can check for continuity.

If it's the pedal, you can replace it for less than $12. KLONK!

However, if it is a problem with the jack (built into the Casio), you will probably need to take it in for repair if you don't want to tackle this yourself.

Good luck!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Throw it in the trash and buy a new one. :idea:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/SP2.html

no, that's NOT the problem.

you need to solder the jack to the board it's connected to.

the problem with surface-mount electronics is that any time you bump or pull on the cord when it's in the jack you're going to break the solder joints that hold it to the board.

buying another sustain pedal WILL NOT solve your problem.

even if you have to take it in to be repaired it's a fairly simple operation , they won't charge you much.

Throw it in the trash and buy a new one. :idea:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/SP2.html

no, that's NOT the problem.

you need to solder the jack to the board it's connected to.

the problem with surface-mount electronics is that any time you bump or pull on the cord when it's in the jack you're going to break the solder joints that hold it to the board.

buying another sustain pedal WILL NOT solve your problem.

even if you have to take it in to be repaired it's a fairly simple operation , they won't charge you much.

http://allthingsd.com/files/2011/11/double_facepalm.png

Cut the moulded TS connector off and solder on a nice new Switchcraft. Put it aside as a spare and get a proper damper pedal like the one Dana recommended. I like those little square things for Leslie spped switching, but not for piano pedals.

There's some chance that it is the solder connection between the pc board and the connector on the Casio, but it'd be silly to tear the Casio apart before trouble shooting the pedal.

--wmp

About a year ago.. apparently a devastating earthquake supposedly destroyed a factory where many sustain pedals were made. I could not get a sustain pedal. When I did they often were "dogs" I bought a bunch of them. I finally had some consistency from a Roland model.

Yes, a soldiering is one good idea.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

thanks - I know the problem is not the pedal, it's the jack - I'm going to try to clean, but I think you're right that something needs to be soldered. Appreciate the insight - I've never opened up the keyboard - should I be scared?? I'd rather do it myself if it's just reconnecting a wire.

I think we're all missing the point here. :rolleyes:

Anyone who has participated in this forum for a while knows

the solution to this problem is not to buy a new pedal

or check the jack inside the keyboard.

Those of us who have been around the block

and have vast experience in this complex field of professional consumer-grade music-making electronics

that incorporates the latest in

contrasting black and white shiny rectangles with advanced

switching and velocity-sensing technology

realized long ago

that the only true solution is to

turn this problem around.

Come at it from a fresh angle.

Get deadly serious with it...

and make this a genuine oppportunity for advancement!.

An opportunity!

to ditch the old and move up to something new:

http://www.lifeofarockstar.com/Reviews/files/px-5s-keyboard-casio--gragraphic.jpg

Casio and its partners would like to thank you.

:cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

You need to determine if the problem is with the pedal, the plug, or the jack.

This.

If you (or someone else you know) has a sustain pedal, plug it in and try it. If you don't have access to one then take the keyboard with you to a music store that has a sustain pedal and try it. If a different pedal works then the problem is the original pedal, if the new pedal doesn't work then its the jack in your keyboard. Don't assume. Assume makes an 'ass' out of 'u' an 'me'.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I suggest you find a friend who has a solder iron and uses it well, and ask him to resolder the jack. It's real easy. just reheat the solder joints with the iron.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Archived