Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz Inventions by Bill Cunliffe

GovernorSilver

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've known Bill a very long time. He's a great player, composer and arranger as well as educator. I'm certain anything he puts out there will be of the highest integrity, as well as being a useful tool for all aspiring jazz pianists. The same goes for Dan Haerle as well.

Thanks, Dave! I know you can play so your recommendation counts a lot to me. I ordered both Cunliffe books (the other is Jazz Toolbox) and the two Haerle books on sale. I didn't realize how respected Dan Haerle was until I read posts from a couple of jazz guitarists who studied with Haerle at UNT - they learned chord voicings from him instead of some guitar book. They also listed some of his other students - quite a resume!

The great thing is you can pick and choose which ones you do. You can also approach the material in a lot of different ways to get more out of it. You can use it for sight reading material. You can use it to learn a cool 'piece' that you can play for people. Or you can pull the exercises apart and digest tons of great little jazz phrases and concepts.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I love this place. I just picked this up the other day and have been playing through to find stuff I want to work on.

It's exactly as you describe!

And certainly not difficult compared to, say, the book of Bill Evans transcriptions :freak:.

But yeah, lots of nice little tunes and licks, some good for hand independence, and you can always just expand on them, substitute chords, etc. I like the chorales a lot... beautiful little pieces that I plan to memorize for moments when someone says "play something".

I make software noises.

I like the chorales a lot... beautiful little pieces that I plan to memorize for moments when someone says "play something".

That Scriabin chord one is cool.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I just received this book, and it looks great. The only real disappointment is the binding, which is a traditional paperback book binding. I wish it was spiral bound or something so I don't have to destroy it to keep the pages open. I'm thinking about taking the whole thing apart and putting the pages in three ring binder or clear plastic sleeves.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to digging in to these exercises.

Yes, got the book. Bill gave me a copy! A lot of it is fairly basic though. But you have to understand why it's important. When Bill had me do some of it, I said no big deal. Then I realized I was weak on some of those basics (like 1235 patterns on LH and RH). It didn't take long to go through it though. It was more of a rehash.

So if you're an advanced player, probably not for you.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

• 2 weeks later...

I got the books. The toolbox book is at a more beginner level of course and kind of reminds me of the Suzuki method. It seems to complement the inventions book nicely.

I recall back in the days of Kinko's there used to be a binding service, where I could take a book and have it "converted" to a spiral-bound book. I'll see if that service is still offered somewhere.

Thanks everyone!

Looking forward to practicing a lot out of these books.

Archived