Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quick Question for PC/Cubase folks

Steve Nathan

A friend has a PC running Cubase w/Ivory and a few other VIs on it. Connected to a Motif via an M-Audio Profire 610. It stays set up in his studio and has worked fine for years.

He called to say that "for no apparent reason" it has suddenly developed an extreme latency problem. Long, clearly audible (unacceptable) delay from key strike to sound.

I'm a Mac guy so I'm a little lost telling him where to start.

He has already rebooted/uninstalled+reinstalled Cubase. I'm going over there with another Profire 610 to quickly eliminate the Motif and interface as the problem. On a Mac, I'd be looking at system preferences and buffer settings, but I'm not sure where to begin looking on a PC.

The guy who installed this system can't get there in time for his Monday AM session, so I'd like to try and get him back and running if I can.

I will appreciate any and all suggestions.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check the drivers for the M-Audio ProFire. You could also download ASIO4all (free) and put it on his PC to see if the latency is any better using that. Just a thought.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

In Cubase, there are ASIO settings for buffer etc...he should check those to see that they havent been changed 'for no apparent reason'. Which flavour of Cubase, there are many!

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Archived