Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Should I get another keytar?

bloodyMary

So here's the deal:

I've got a beat-up Roland AX-1, which is held together by glue and tape, but is fully functional. I use it almost every gig, and it's been 100% percent reliable. It gets about 5-10 minutes if stage time, but everyone (the band and the audience) digs it when it does.

Keytars are super rare where I live, so I just bought whatever I could get my hands on. Again, it's working fine.

There's a guy selling a mint AX-7, a decent deal. Included is a 3 train ride each way to pick it up.

I figured, it's a rare product, and if my AX-1 finally dies, there's no immediate replacement beside ordering an Alesis Vortex from Germany (closest place to sell those).

So I'd better pick this up now.

On the other hand, mine is working fine, and it could be a waste of good $400 to collect dust in a closet.

Would you guys get backup gear when the main axe is still working?

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a good deal, I'd pick it up either way. Plus, it never hurts to have backup gear if you have the financial means to do so. In my old band I had a complete backup rig and there where times that I needed it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I don't know about backup gear... I only have about 12 keyboards, 10 stands, 6 amps, 2 Leslies, 3 saxophones...

Of course you should get it.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Lately I have been wanting another keytar as well but lack of funds has kind of hindered that idea. So I put re-enforced strap buttons on a Roland PC200 mkII that I haven't used in years and with my wireless MIDI system I am mobile once again. Can't change patches easily but I may add that ability along with some additional controllers in the future. I kind of like the idea of not having a neck on the instrument and the placement I chose for the strap buttons allows two handed playing without much problem.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

I put re-enforced strap buttons on a Roland PC200 mkII that I haven't used in years and with my wireless MIDI system I am mobile once again.

I kind of like the idea of not having a neck on the instrument and the placement I chose for the strap buttons allows two handed playing without much problem.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing with my Microstation. I'm not mechanical, though. Any tips on a good way to attach the strap buttons? And is there a particular kind that's better to use? I found these links while looking...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=248-9368

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/item/4982-SB

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Strap_buttons.html

http://www.allparts.com/strap-buttons

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have two of which the black has seen about 80 gigs a year for about 5 years. About an hour of actual playing per gig. The red one sits at Home in the corner. Also my spare!!!!
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Lately I have been wanting another keytar as well but lack of funds has kind of hindered that idea. So I put re-enforced strap buttons on a Roland PC200 mkII that I haven't used in years and with my wireless MIDI system I am mobile once again. Can't change patches easily but I may add that ability along with some additional controllers in the future. I kind of like the idea of not having a neck on the instrument and the placement I chose for the strap buttons allows two handed playing without much problem.

Do you have pics?

I always thought that the neck is essential, in order to hold it properly, and to perform pitch bends..

I wouldn't know how to hold this thing without the "handle" :)

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

I wouldn't know how to hold this thing without the "handle" :)

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pEtnT40RnY

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yeah, this is what, 40 pounds?

Well, thanks guys, I'm going to pick up this keytar. It's $400 and mint condition.

Now, should I do a custom paint job, or leave it stock?

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Yeah, this is what, 40 pounds?

Just shown to illustrate how to wear and operate controls on a stalkless keyboard. The Roland PC200 mkII and Microstation are only about 6 lbs. But yeah, Edgar could carry some weight. i don't know how much that ARP keyboard module weighed, but the univox he often wore was "only" 21 pounds.

http://file.vintageadbrowser.com/nzziecmjpp8nqh.jpg

I just recently sold my ax7 with wireless midi. never had any problems with it. recently just purchased a Roland ax synth. much better than the ax7 since it has internal sounds. linked it up with a line-6 wireless. e-bay has many used ax synths that are going for very reasonable prices. good luck.....Larry

I actually used Schaller strap locks instead of just strap buttons. I went to my local hardware store and found small bolts, nuts and washers to attach the strap locks to the keyboard. I put a washer on the inside of the case and on the outside for added strength. I also used locking nuts, the kind that have a ring of nylon (I think it's nylon) on one end of the threads to lock it in place. Sorry I didn't take pictures of the process but it was really easy. I just put a picture of the finished product on my facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/william.d.mcmahan although it may be kind of hard to see.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing with my Microstation. I'm not mechanical, though. Any tips on a good way to attach the strap buttons?

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

I actually used Schaller strap locks instead of just strap buttons. I went to my local hardware store and found small bolts, nuts and washers to attach the strap locks to the keyboard.

The picture and product description at the link indicates that the piece includes screw elements, so why/how did you add bolts? Also, did you attach these in place of existing screws in the Microstation, or did you create new holes in the Microstation? I still feel pretty clueless about this...

Well remember I installed these on a Roland PC200 mkII, not on the Microstation. The screws that come with any strap locks are going to be wood screws meant for guitar mounting. I haven't opened up a Microstation so I don't know how much room there would be for the bolt and nut. Incidentally, since the Microstation doesn't have the option of running on batteries I think you should give this a second thought.

Here's my plan. I have a little MIDI controller circuit board that was going to be used for MIDIfying a set of B3 pedals I have. That never got completed so I may use that board to add additional controllers to the PC200 mkII. On the other hand if I can get some $ together I would love to buy one of these. Battery powered, seperate MIDI and USB ports, a good number of controllers, real pitch and mod wheels, very programmable, light weight and from what I hear, a good feeling keybed. And it looks like there should be plenty of room for strap locks.

I actually used Schaller strap locks instead of just strap buttons. I went to my local hardware store and found small bolts, nuts and washers to attach the strap locks to the keyboard.

The picture and product description at the link indicates that the piece includes screw elements, so why/how did you add bolts? Also, did you attach these in place of existing screws in the Microstation, or did you create new holes in the Microstation? I still feel pretty clueless about this...

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Well remember I installed these on a Roland PC200 mkII, not on the Microstation.

ah yes, between this morning and this evening, I forgot! ;-)

The screws that come with any strap locks are going to be wood screws meant for guitar mounting.

ah, good point. I told you I wasn't mechanical. ;-)

Incidentally, since the Microstation doesn't have the option of running on batteries I think you should give this a second thought.

Actually, that's one piece of the puzzle that I do have kinda solved. I have a power pack that works. The connection isn't as solid as I'd like, so if I were really going to use it mobile, I'd have to get the exact right connector instead of the "very close" one I have now.

So I picked that Roland AX-7 up. Pearl white, great condition, comes with a gigbag, original strap, bonus usb-midi cable, and the guy also sold me a midi merger box for $50, useful little thingie.

Paid an US eBay price more or less, which is excellent for where I live.

Thanks everybody!

Will post pics as soon as I get home!

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

I don't know about backup gear... I only have about 12 keyboards, 10 stands, 6 amps, 2 Leslies, 3 saxophones...

Of course you should get it.

:facepalm::laugh:

Facepalm because this can be said of many of us on this forum.

No Gladys I'm NOT a hoarder... I just like my toyz. :blush:

(I wonder if the guy who needed a repair on the plug in his Casio took my advice and purchased a PX-5S. Matter of fact, I thought that was pretty good advice!) :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived