Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Our Blues Band could be over soon....my conundrum!

Nu2Keys

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my favourite sayings (though I don't know who said it).

"When confronted with the unavoidable, Salute!"

I am not quite sure what you are asking in this thread. It sounded at first that you were wondering if you should keep the band together. People suggested that you should, and you wrote a bunch of reasons why you can't.

Even though I am not sure that you want suggestions, I'll bite: You said your frontman has a high profile day gig, I assume like a local tv or radio personality - or something. Assuming that's the case, you can use that to your advantage to audition front people. Maybe even another personality. Taken to the extreme, you could do like a "RockStar INXS" thing and have open auditions live. Book a few club nights to audition new frontpeople (maybe 3 each night). Have your current frontman plug the audition at his day job (if I am right about what he does...). You could really go all out with it, and make it fun and memorable.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

One of my favourite sayings (though I don't know who said it).

"When confronted with the unavoidable, Salute!"

I am not quite sure what you are asking in this thread. It sounded at first that you were wondering if you should keep the band together. People suggested that you should, and you wrote a bunch of reasons why you can't.

Even though I am not sure that you want suggestions, I'll bite: You said your frontman has a high profile day gig, I assume like a local tv or radio personality - or something. Assuming that's the case, you can use that to your advantage to audition front people. Maybe even another personality. Taken to the extreme, you could do like a "RockStar INXS" thing and have open auditions live. Book a few club nights to audition new frontpeople (maybe 3 each night). Have your current frontman plug the audition at his day job (if I am right about what he does...). You could really go all out with it, and make it fun and memorable.

I'm not trying to be difficult, and I guess I just wanted to vent a little, but, as I've previously said, I know that the cool and/ or high paying gigs, festivals, wedding receptions, etc., will dry up if our frontman is gone. And while I know that we can keep a band together without him (the four members of the band had a side band without the leader for a while but people would always ask where's _________?), or by adding another member or members if we so choose, it would be for bar gigs and shows without a highly visible front person that people know and who hustles for gigs. It's amazing what how the public thinks differently about someone who plays in a band but who they know, or think they know, from their other work.

I'm with Learjeff. Was waiting a bit before posting to see if you'd make the decision.

It was on here I saw the post that said something like - if you're in Prince and the Revolution it's important that you know whether you're Prince or you're in the Revolution.

You could say the same for Sting or David Bowie and the sidemen they've had that many of us on here are familiar with and rate highly.

For most of the public (for paid gigs, not your jazz improv experimental avant melodica with effects project) for most of the audience it's all about a quality vocal and a charismatic front person (or team).

Sounds like - as I have always been - you're in The Revolution. Prince is moving on. Time to get thinking about your next musical adventure.

Please keep us posted. This is the only community of keyboard/piano players I get to mix in. I'm always interested in how it's going for other working giggers.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Thanks a lot....I appreciate that....I really do. I anticipate his job will be filled, either by him or someone else, well before the end of the year so I will know if he's gone or not....and yeah, you're right.....we're The Revolution!

Archived