Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody using CME WIDI-X8?

J. Dan

Has anybody used a CME WIDI-X8 wireless MIDI interface with a keytar? I want to clip it to the strap as you would a guitar or bass wireless transmitter. It's about the right size, but has no clip, and the battery compartment is on one side, and buttons on the other...so not sure about affixing some sort of clip. Maybe some custom pouch/case with a clip? Wondering what others have done. Funny, i found pictures of endorsers, and in every one, they're wearing the keytar and holding up the interface in their hand for the product shot....ok, great, but what do you do with it when you're playing?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dan, I dopn't know if you have bought the CME rig yet, but if not, have a look at the M-Audio MidAir....

It worked for me!

I used it with my AZ-1 a few years back, I don't have it around right now but I'm sure the pack had a clip with which I attatched it to the strap.

Yeah, I bought it a long time ago and never used it until now.

Edit: I just looked that one up and remember now why I got the CME instead...it got horrible reviews and is no longer available. People were saying you had to be right next to the receiver for it to work, stuck notes, couldn't handle much MIDI data, chewed through batteries. CLONK

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Nope, have an AX-7.

I think the WIDI-X8 will be a good wireless interface as it has a max range (unobstructed) of 262 feet, 20 hour battery life, 64 RF channels (auto selecting), and automatic All-notes-off command if it loses signal. Unfortunately I haven't been able to check it out since one arrived DOA. Luckily it was the one that just came in so I can return it. I ordered one (not realizing they came individually and you have to order 2) a couple years ago and it works. Then I quit that band and didn't need it. Now that I'm going to break out the AX7 again, I went ahead and bought the other one to go with it...but like I said, I unpacked it and it's DOA.

Dan

If your keytar has USB out (AX-Synth, Alesis Vortex do), you can use something like this:

These things cost around $10 on Amazon (search USB Nano Wireless Adaptors).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I think those devices are for connecting a USB host (i.e. a computer) to a wireless router. I don't see how you're using it here.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Dan,

For my AX, I use heavy duty velcro. For a while I was using both the MIDIjet and the Shure PX4 transmitters. Both were velcro'd to the back of the keytar in strategic spots (that didn't rub against my legs when I ran and jumped around.)

The "industrial" grade stuff I picked up at the local fabric store is REALLY strong (I also use it to attach modules and power supplies to my rack shelves) and has never dislodged unintentionally.

I stopped using the Shure as the quality of the sounds from the Kronos and Wave are so superior to the AX internals. So the MIDIjet is attached behind the lower left "horn" of the AX, and no tangles, not twisting, easy on/easy off.

If your keytar has USB out (AX-Synth, Alesis Vortex do), you can use something like this:

These things cost around $10 on Amazon (search USB Nano Wireless Adaptors).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I think those devices are for connecting a USB host (i.e. a computer) to a wireless router. I don't see how you're using it here.

Thanks for pointing that out, Scott. That was a blooper on my part - the 'USB Nano Wireless Adaptors' will NOT work for USB-MIDI.

I've come across other wireless USB devices, which come as a pair ('kit'). One goes into the host, the other into the device. So basically, it's like your standard USB cable, only wireless. These might work well with USB Keytars and the Kronos. I thought I was linking to one of those, but was mistaken! Sorry for the mix up.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Dan,

I have and use both the Levys' guitar transmitter pouch, and the Neotech wireless transmitter pouch, depending on which guitar I'm playing (they fit different strap styles).

Both are designed to attach to a guitar strap. Not sure the size of the CME units.

When I go wireless for my Vortex, I am considering the CME units.

The Mid Air is no longer in production. They are hard to find.

While inexpensive in relation to the others out there, the MIdAir got horrible reviews and M-Audio stopped supporting it.

From what I've seen, MidiJet pro and a setup by Kenton seem to be the state of the art.

I have also heard good things about the CME.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I've come across other wireless USB devices, which come as a pair ('kit'). One goes into the host, the other into the device. So basically, it's like your standard USB cable, only wireless.

Actually, that's a pretty rare bird. Coincidentally, for something non-keyboard related, I was looking for something like that myself, and wasn't able to find it. If anyone knows of such a device that is actually available and works, I'd love to know about it!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

From what I've seen, MidiJet pro and a setup by Kenton seem to be the state of the art.

FWIW, when I decided to purchase everyone I talked to said the MidiJet Pro was hands-down the best solution out there. Bit the bullet on the price and bought from Patchman. Haven't had a drop, glitch or problem yet, seems to have usable range to the parking lot, and the thing sips very little power - batteries last forever in the TX unit.

Dan I have used them for many years!! No issues at all. No noticeable latency great battery life. At least 4-5 gigs. Plenty distance and no drop out....
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Dan I have used them for many years!! No issues at all. No noticeable latency great battery life. At least 4-5 gigs. Plenty distance and no drop out....

So back to my original question...how do you attach it (assuming you're using it with a keytar)? I looked at the pouches David referenced and possibly the Levi one would work. Biggest concern is both clearance for the MIDI cable and non-interference of the buttons/switches since unlike most guitar wireless transmitters, the cable comes out the side, the switches are at the end, and a button is on the top.

Dan

Velcro to my Keytar strap on my right side.( Much like a wireless for a guitar.) The Velcro is longer on the strap side and reinforced with tape on both sides to hold the velcro properly to the strap. Been using it that way for years without an issue. I use a very short midi cable that follows the strap to the back of the Keytar.

Can't go wrong with the Widi.....

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Actually, that's a pretty rare bird. Coincidentally, for something non-keyboard related, I was looking for something like that myself, and wasn't able to find it. If anyone knows of such a device that is actually available and works, I'd love to know about it!

Something like this, perhaps. But yes, seems to be very rare. There are also wireless hubs, reviewed here. But they're not class-compliant, so won't work with a Kronos. Might be of use to in connecting a USB-keytar to a laptop...

Dan, sorry for the minor derail. To get things (somewhat) back on topic, I noticed that the proximal WIDI-X8 unit takes has 3 ins and 2 outs. Does it merge channels? Might be worth checking out, could make the MidiSolutions box unnecessary.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Something like this, perhaps. But yes, seems to be very rare. There are also wireless hubs, reviewed here. But they're not class-compliant, so won't work with a Kronos. Might be of use to in connecting a USB-keytar to a laptop...

Dan, sorry for the minor derail. To get things (somewhat) back on topic, I noticed that the proximal WIDI-X8 unit takes has 3 ins and 2 outs. Does it merge channels? Might be worth checking out, could make the MidiSolutions box unnecessary.

- Guru

The MIDI solutions box is the Footswitch controller. This is so that i can use a sustain pedal with the AX7 when it's sitting on the lower tier. It merges the sustain messages with the incoming MIDi from the AX7.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Just found these wireless USB MIDI devices... AirPower and AirPower 2

http://www.starrlabs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=72&product_id=73

[video:youtube]

See my other post reviewing the CME WIDI X8.

A couple things i notice comparing it to the Airpower:

-Airpower only transmits in one direction. CME has MIDI IN/OUT at both ends.

-Airpower from what i can tell uses a proprietry Li Ion battery pack that is separate from the receiver and the charger is an extra charge. The CME uses a pair of AA's.

-A pair of the CME's is slightly less than the complete Airpower system. If you wanted MIDI in both directions, you'd need 2 Airpower systems (though admittedly, normal applications would only require transmission in one direction)

Note in the video, he is lone of site. They specify 300' max distance, CME specifies 262' line of sight. The CME offers the same protection against stuck notes during drop-outs and does not rely on active sensing (same as the airpower).

Dan

Airpower only transmits in one direction.

AirPower 2 (also on that site) is bidirectional.

But really, it's not interchangeable with the CME, it's a slightly different application. CME is a wireless version of 5-pin DIN MIDI, Airpower is a wireless version of USB MIDI.

Airpower only transmits in one direction.

AirPower 2 (also on that site) is bidirectional.

But really, it's not interchangeable with the CME, it's a slightly different application. CME is a wireless version of 5-pin DIN MIDI, Airpower is a wireless version of USB MIDI.

CME includes USB MIDI as well. Each box has USB and DIN MIDI IN/OUT...although i don't know if the USB MIDI would work with a class complient keyboard, or only with a PC/Mac.

EDIT: I've never tried USB Midi, but just to see what would happen, I replaced the MIDI cable between the CME and my Kronos with the USB cable. I could trigger notes on the appropriate channel, but they all stuck until I unplugged the USB cable. So I'd say USB only works on the computer end, not the keyboard end.

Dan

• 3 months later...
You should also check Midibeam from Pandamidi, www.pandamidi.com, rock solid performance, very reasonable price.

Already using the CME and very happy with it.

Dan

Archived