Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Parlance

whitefang

I remember those big orange roadside restaurants. I did not realize they were Orange Juliuses. I have tried the mall versions and did not like what they served.

I'm not sure they were Orange Julius either. They may have just been generic orange juice stands. Another feature I remember along US99 was a chain of A & W Root Beer drive ins. Burgers & root beer, served on a little table that clipped to the side of your car door.

Scott Fraser

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ones on the side of the road that I was talking about were little wooden shacks in the shape and color of oranges. The old hulks are still out there. I just saw an ad this week that Dairy Queen has orange Julius's again...probably not the same as the original but close. IIRC they were like those 50/50 bars that were orange on the outside and vanilla ice cream in the middle kind of taste...

Those water truck guys are hefty but do not make near the number of deliveries of bottled water. They are not as hefty as those old time ice block guys with the huge hooks and the blocks of ice on their shoulders delivering to everyone in New York city that owned an ice box...

We had those soft serve trucks coming through the neighborhood too. I think they were the street version of DQ. They put a lot of the old dry ice boxed-ice cream men out of business with their new fandangled propane powered machines. I loved the banana split with 3 kinds of syrup, 3 mounds of cream, slivered almonds and 3 big red cherrys on top...no way in hell you could eat it all...if you were not hungry you just got a cone dipped in chocolate or a frozen and dipped banana...

I've always thought Keyboard players were cool. I played Keys for a while and was always in demand as guitar players were a dime a dozen. If there was a major jam, you would have about 25 guitar players showing up and 5 bass players, but only 1 Keyboard player. I still tickle the ivories once in a blue moon but I like playing guitar every day...

ps. You may be right Scott as my memory is fading like the orange paint. IIRC they were OJ stands but I'm pretty sure they would make you an orange Julius with a raw egg if you'all wanted one...

Take care, Larryz

The being cool or not was just an observation of perception on my part or theirs, not necessarily a reality so much as what different people appear to feel about themselves or others. Seems to me that serious knowledge and skill is needed to play keyboards and their rigs typically cost more compared to guitars and guitar players, (generally). Keyboards take a band to a higher level IMO. I have always looked at instruments in general like other people gawk at cars. Synthesizers....wow! People are people anywhere and it doesn't matter what you do in a band or jam, some are better to spend time with than others.

As I recall, the drink served as an "Orange Julius" at the chains in malls is/was(?) a liquid that tasted like a melted 50/50 bar. My sister worked at one when she was in high school. They use(d) fresh squeezed oranges. It was something like fresh squeezed orange juice and milk rather than ice cream. It was actually light and almost fluffy/whipped, not heavy like a shake. This wasn't an ice cream bar, cone or served in a bowl. Maybe there was egg involved. That would account for the fluff.

Speaking of old treats, at one time the junk available at a 711 was much better than it is today. I think it was Dolly Madison who made what was called "Donut Stix." They were chocolate coated cake donuts shaped like a half moon without the curve.......more like a turd :). I used to help my friend on his AM paper route (remember paper routes?) with my Honda 70 minibike. We would cut across town through the creek, an area of wilderness between two neighborhoods with a creek down the middle, before sunrise and grab a box of Donut Stix at the 711. The best part of the Donut Stix were the crunchy ends.

I first saw Orange Julius corner stands in NYC, in the late 60's, early 70's? Before that, we had a chain called Nedick's (sp.?), which also served an orange juice/drink, and hot dogs, served on buns that looked like curved toast. Never saw Nedick's anywhere outside of NYC.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I've HEARD of orange Julius', but never saw them sold in my area. The one description of them sounds good, though. Sort of like a drinkable Creamsicle?

At the A&W in my town, years ago, they had an "off menu" item called "Mad Dog". It was half root beer, half orange drink( the uncarbonated stuff) served with a few sliced pickles on top. I loved 'em. These days, ask for a Mad Dog at that same A&W, and they have NO idea what you're talkin' about. Describe it for 'em, and they say they can't make it because they've long ago discontinued using that orange drink. Bummer. I miss them. Back "in the day", other A&W outlets served a similar drink but used a different name. All depended on the locale.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Julius <--- here's some of the history of the Orange Julius...I knew there was a little devil involved at one time and they had to abandon that idea...I found some of the recipes on line for making your own do include using an egg white so I guess my memory is not as faded as I thought...

Julius Freed invented the orange drink in 1926 and people would line up and say "give me an orange, Julius" and that's how it got it's name...pretty cool. :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Thanks for that link, Larryz. I remember seeing the devil logo in NYC, way back, but I'd forgotten about the "devilishly good drink" motto. I'd always thought that the devil was Orange Julius, for some reason, like the clown is Ronald McDonald.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Moving away from Orange Julius( it's making me thirsty!), and back on the "parlance" track, another thing I only heard in a movie, but it had to come from somewhere, since the movie is written by people, is "Have a catch".

In the movie "Field Of Dreams", Kevin Costner's character says at one point, "I never had a catch with my Dad." And later, when his Father's spirit shows up at the field, Costner ASKS him, "would you like to HAVE A CATCH?"

Where I grew up, as a kid, we just called it PLAYING "catch". I assumed the movies writer, or the BOOK'S author( I understand the story came from a book) came from an area that referred to it that way.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived