Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

quandary about keyboard stand/rack

LeesKeys

I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum, but I need some specific help about the best keyboard stand for my setup. I'm currently using the QuikLok Z-726. For a number of reasons,including portability,I want to change two different stand.

my keyboards are a Casio Px3s and Kurzweil Pc3 76. I currently have the Casio sitting on the base and the PC3 on the second tier.

Keyboard specs: Casio 24 lbs; L 52", D 14"

PC3 37 lbs; L 47" D 14"

I've been looking at the APEX AX-48 Pro. I particularly like the portability aspect. I'm concerned however that putting the Pc3 on the top rack will create instability, considering the size and weight of this keyboard. I want to keep the keyboards in my current arrangement (Casio on bottom, PC3 on top). All the pictures I've seen of keyboards on the Apex stand show a much smaller keyboard on the second tier.

Is there a "dream" keyboard stand out there? $300 is about my limit and of course I would prefer to spend less than that.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

(Nice rig BTW)

I have an AX-48. You might find there's a bit of "rocking" in the motion of the stand as you play, but it won't topple.

However - a couple of thoughts:

1. If you have a deep keyboard on top and a shallow one underneath, you'll find you have to get them quite far apart before you can access the lower keyboard keys. Then you try the adjustment of the centre leg to give the whole stand an extra tilt, and you find your boards are leaning away from you.

2. You might find the "standard" (13in) arms a bit short for your Kurz. If you use the longer (18in) arms (which need a special clamp) for the Kurz you may find it obscures the Casio, which exarbates the first point I made.

I'm not sure there's an ideal keyboard stand, but there's a fair amount of love here for the K&M 18880/18881, which KCer AnotherScott posted in this thread.

Cheers, Mike.

Good information. Thanks. That does concern me about PC3 overhand and obscuring controls on the Casio.

Another requirement for my stand is that the bottom rack be high enough so that I don't have to bend over to play the lower keyboard when I'm standing. The Quik-Lok doesn't extend high enough and I've had to improvise by placing each leg on a wooden block to extend the height by another 3.5 inches. Not ideal by any means

I was also looking at the K& M Spider column stand. Anyone have any experience with that.

I have the original Apex stand. While I prefer my 76 key boards on the bottom and 61 on top, I did have it swapped for a number of years. Through much of the early 2000's I had a Roland A70 on top and a Roland Jupiter 6 on bottom. The A70 is no slouch in size and weight and it was always fine. That said, the Jupiter 6 is a deep board. Now in my duo, I'm putting the Kronos 61 on top and AX7 on bottom. You just have to slide it out to the edge of the tier to get the keys to line up right, it's not that big of a deal.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

With portability being a main issue, yup, I'd suggest looking at that K&M 18880. It weighs nothing, it collapses/reassembles in seconds, and transports in one piece (i.e. you never have to remove anything).

Your Casio PX3 is not 14" deep, btw. Around 11, I think.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I settled in on a new Quiklok QL-742 stand. :cool:Quiklok QL-742 keyboard stand I went through several other stands including Quiklok Zenith(too heavy and too awkward), original Apex stand(not enough support, no tilt adjustment), Onstage KS7365(still like this stand but it's time consuming to set up, easy to bust your knees on some of the parts...especially if you're 6 feet tall and approaching 60 yrs of age). The QL-742 sets up in a jiffy, and accomodates deep keyboards well. I have a Roland RD700GX on the bottom and a Hammond XK-3c on the top. Good luck in your search!

I have the K&M 18880 and 18881 - a bit expensive, very lightweight but very well made.

I also have a spare OnStage 2-Tier Z Stand with the carrying bag. Two are in use at the shop and at church, where they don't have to be moved often. I used the third one gigging until I got the K&M. Extremely sturdy, stuff doesn't move around on the stand.

If you want to see either, let me know.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

the only question I have is whether the lower keyboard can be positioned high enough to play it comfortably when I'm standing. Since I've already ordered the Spider Pro, I hope so!

Sure it can. I stand up too, and currently my bottom board bottom height is 38" off the ground. You can slide it up and down the center shaft to anywhere you like.

The highest you can go on the Pro is about 50" straight up from the floor to the rear of the top board. Remember the top rack slopes down a bit....this is the back end against the stand.

I settled in on a new Quiklok QL-742 stand. :cool:Quiklok QL-742 keyboard stand I went through several other stands including Quiklok Zenith(too heavy and too awkward), original Apex stand(not enough support, no tilt adjustment), Onstage KS7365(still like this stand but it's time consuming to set up, easy to bust your knees on some of the parts...especially if you're 6 feet tall and approaching 60 yrs of age). The QL-742 sets up in a jiffy, and accomodates deep keyboards well. I have a Roland RD700GX on the bottom and a Hammond XK-3c on the top. Good luck in your search!

+1 for this stand. I have an 88 key Korg chrome on the bottom tier, and an Electro on the top, tilted well forward. There is about 3 inches of space between the two boards, but the top one is set back, to allow access to the Krome.

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Nice to know there are better options than when I purchased the Z 726 several years ago. I've found that setup to have a number of issues, such as the lower shelf not being high enough when I'm playing in standing position; poor portability; and most problematic, the locking thumb screws which allow you to slide and set the upper arms are poorly designed and after about a year, I was unable to lock these in place. Been relying on Gorilla tape for a while now, and that's gotten old!

I'm looking forward to getting the K&M Spider Pro I ordered yesterday. I'll give a quick review after I've had a chance to use it for a bit.

Any chance you could provide measurements of how far apart the 2 support arms are and how deep they are? K&M site doesn't list the 18880 on their site. Do you find the scissor supports hard to sit behind? Thanks, Joe.

Archived