Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

88 Key Controller/Laptop for live use - opinions sought.

ABECK

I'm considering going the laptop/controller route for live gigs and am looking for some opinions. (I know parts of this have been covered before, and I've gone back and read some previous similar threads). Ideally, I'd like to run Mainstage 3 on a MacBook Air and control it from an 88 Key weighted board.

The Roland A-88 looks good, but I was wondering if something like the Casio Privia 5S would be a better option (built-in sounds couldn't hurt). They both look to be about the same size, so I imagine schlept factor between the 2 is negligible. Are there considerable pros or cons eather way?

As far as the computer goes, should I consider a D/A converter connected to the Mac, or is the headphone out sufficient for live use?

Will the i5 processor on a MacbookAir be sufficient to run Mainstage instruments without much latency? My uses will primarily be Piano, EP, Clav, and occasional synth.

BTW, my range is up to $2400 (including laptop, which I would prefer to be a Mac)

Any input appreciated.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can buy a used older generation MacBook Pro if all you are doing is running Mainstage on it. It can be your dedicated music computer. You can pick those up for a song. That leaves more money for your controller and software,

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Abeck,

If you're already considering the new Casio, I'm not sure why you'd want to even bother with a laptop if all you are doing is the instruments you listed.

(Maybe for the Clavinet then?)

If you need whatever Mainstage is bringing to the table, there are folks who use audio interfaces and folks who don't. I'm on the side that prefers using them, although with an Air you will have to consider your connectivity limitations.

The other details have been covered ad nauseum in other threads, where we can point you.

-John

I make software noises.

Thanks Johnchop,

I'd like to be able to bring the Laptop to gigs and connect it to my Mojo, if I need to suppliment the organ with piano or synth sounds. That will allow me a bit more flexibility when I can't, or don't want to lug 2 boards.

The Roland A-88 looks good, but I was wondering if something like the Casio Privia 5S would be a better option (built-in sounds couldn't hurt). They both look to be about the same size, so I imagine schlept factor between the 2 is negligible. Are there considerable pros or cons eather way?

Just check the specs, there is a big difference in schlep factor. Casio is 24 lbs vs. Rolands' 35 lbs. Roland is also amost 5 inches longer because of the panel on the left.

I haven't played the A88, but the action is the same basic design as the FP-4F which I did play, and I think the PX-5S felt a lot better than that.

For controlling Mainstage (which I assume responds to standard MIDI Program Change and CC commands), the PX-5S would be much better. Plenty of buttons for direct patch selection (instead of having to scroll), and 6 sliders + 4 knobs for controlling assignable instrument parameters.

Really, I have a hard time seeing the reason for the A-88 to exist, but maybe someone else here will point out any advantage it may have.

If you're already considering the new Casio, I'm not sure why you'd want to even bother with a laptop if all you are doing is the instruments you listed.

(Maybe for the Clavinet then?)

And also the other instruments mentioned. You can certainly get better pianos from plug-ins that what is built into the Casio. And a wide range of different kinds of synths.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

And also the other instruments mentioned. You can certainly get better pianos from plug-ins that what is built into the Casio. And a wide range of different kinds of synths.

Oh no doubt, but I saw OP's concerns as needing certain "workman-like" sounds, and I see more inherent complexity in a soft solution. Don't get me wrong: I love my software (and my Receptor!), but as a regularly gigging musician (which I am not currently), unless I need THAT sound, I'm going to fire up the internal sounds of my "all around" board and get the job done.

That said, ABeck clarified about wanting a sound source for his Mojo, without needing another board.

I have a slightly older i5 MB Pro 13" and plan on acquiring MS3 this week. Will try to report back on latency using just built-in audio. I'd be a little concerned about the relatively low-powered CPU on the Air to layer a bunch of instruments.

My personal preference is to have an audio interface, even just a simple two-channel deal. I like having hardware volume control, phones out, etc.

I make software noises.

You can buy a used older generation MacBook Pro if all you are doing is running Mainstage on it. It can be your dedicated music computer. You can pick those up for a song. That leaves more money for your controller and software,
In fact, there's one in the Garage Sale section right now from a very reliable forum member. (Not me. Besides, I'm not reliable!)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

In fact, there's one in the Garage Sale section right now from a very reliable forum member. (Not me. Besides, I'm not reliable!)

Only an old MBP running Lion 64 bit (10.7 with hack) or Mountain Lion (10.8) will run MainStage 3, which is all you can get from Apple now.

Any hardware will run MainStage. But MS is a host - without AU/VST's set up in MS - no sound. It is the AU's and VST's that eat RAM and the more AU's and/or VST's loaded into one patch the more RAM you need, otherwise you end up with glitches and unacceptable latency.

I would recommend as a minimum i5 and 8 gig of RAM, optional i7 with SSD. External interface optional.

Anything less is going to struggle to cope with 64 bit OS and cope with with large sampled AU's e.g. Acoustic piano.

There are hacks to run 32bit AU's and VST's in MS3 if you really need them.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

As far as the computer goes, should I consider a D/A converter connected to the Mac, or is the headphone out sufficient for live use?

There are a few practical advantages to a good interface, for live use.

My TC Konnekt 6 gives me:

• a big volume knob for mains
  • a separate one for monitors
  • LED VU meters (truly awesome)
  • multiple outs which allow me to take advantage of Pianoteq, so I can have two channels for stereo monitoring, and a separate, true mono channel (no summing involved!) for mains
  • MUCH higher dynamic range. You'd need this only for, say, exposed piano parts, likes intros or solos. Anybody who uses AP sounds in such contexts will appreciate the difference this makes - much more subtle expression is possible, and it's much more like the real deal. In a band mix, however, the dynamic range of builtin outs may be adequate.
  • Very noticeable improvement in overall audio quality, compared to my laptop outs. I'm not referring to noise reduction, I'm talking of better frequency response.
  • I've also used it as a mixer on occasion - running a feed from FoH so I get my own mix in my monitors!

Really, I have a hard time seeing the reason for the A-88 to exist, but maybe someone else here will point out any advantage it may have.

Seriously, +1.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Archived